RC poster

Is the Velineon VXL-3s right for me?

Hey,

So I've got a brushless slash 4x4. I bought it about 4 years ago. I've taken it to the track a couple of times, but mainly I just bash her around the house. I finally splurged and upgraded to LiPo. I bought a "Traxxas EZ-PEAK PLUS iD Charger with (1) 3S 11.1V 25C 5000mAh Lipo Battery SLASH". Long story short, it showed up a little more than a week late. It had been raining a lot lately. When there was a break in the rain, I anxiously charged it up on balance mode, switched my ESC to low voltage detection mode and took it out. I was amazed with the difference in power from the LiPo battery compared to the standard NiMh.

Unfortunately, my thrill from the new found speed was short lived. After a couple full throttle rips down the road in front of my house, I hit a little wet grass and lost all throttle. The steering worked. I pulled the throttle maybe 4 times while i walked towards my incapacitated whip. When I got to it I could hear sizzling and smell electrical fire smell. ... I thought "well, darn. I seem to have cooked my ESC". When I took it I eventually realized that my motor was locked up. Which is what I figure burned up the ESC.

I called Traxxas and they offered to replace the motor and ESC for $90 if I sent them my old ones. (I thought that seemed very fair considering the age of my car. But I have also already replaced both the motor and the ESC on seperate occasions already. My question is "is it coincidence that the motor locked up the first time I ran a LiPo battery?" and Should I stick with the Velinen? Or since I have to replace both of them should I upgrade? What has the best reputation for performance and reliability? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reguards,
    SlashBuster7001

This is the prime-time to upgrade! I hate to say it but the stock setup will probably just smoke again on 3S at some point. Depending on what your budget is, you can get a new esc/motor combo that will run 3S, even 4S... or more, with no heat issues and power that will "blow your mind"!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

-Shack

^^^ What Shack said!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    I’m with Shack on this. I just upgraded to the Castle 1515 series 2200kv motor & Mamba X esc. The thing is awesome fast.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

I suggest you go with a different motor system. My personal favorite is the Castle Creations Mamb X and sensored 2400 motor system. I run mine hard on 3s and she keeps coming back for more
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The VXL system is a decent motor for a light vehicle, and an anemic esc, never truly designed for 3S. For a slash 4x4 I think it was never sized right. In theory I agree with the guys above me. It is important to know, you will need to upgrade several driveline components(axles, wheel hubs, center drive shaft, etc). These are not really gonna be optional. They will shred, and or break on any of the motors listed above. Your budget and driving style now will come into play. In short I don't believe the VXL system is worth buying for let's say more than 20 bucks shipped. There's other better options out there. Don't get stuck on any one name, traxxas, castle, etc. Do a bunch of reading, then ask again, then pull the trigger.

RC poster
    Thanks to everyone for your input on the situation. Thanks for the welcomes too.

So yesterday I had some spare time so I drove out to my local hobby shop to see what they had to offer and to try to pick the brains of the guys behind the counter. I spoke to 3 or 4 different guys at the shop and they all basically told me the same things... 1. when I explained what had happened with the Velineon, they said that was weird, and that it was supposed to be able to run with a 3s LiPo. And when I asked what else I should replace the system with (now that I have lost some faith in the Velineon system), they all pointed me to a package with a Castle Sidewinder SCT ESC and a 14 series Sensored 1410 3800 Kv motor. I was surprised to see the sticker price of $110, considering some of the other setups that I looked briefly at online were closer to $250. But after getting the consensus of 4 different guys at the shop, I decided to pull the trigger and have them solder a traxxas plug on the ESC for me. I also asked at least 2 of the guys if this whole setup would just bolt straight on to my Slash. They all said it would.

When I got it home, I immediately noticed that the Sidewinder ESC didn't have any holes to bolt it to the chasis... no big deal. I can figure something out. Then when I bolted the motor to the mounting plate, the traxxas pan head screws were too long and bottomed out. The supplied Castle button head bolts wouldn't let the motor mount sit flush... I eventually put a couple of washers and made the original pan head bolts work. The motor shaft is a little shorter. It ended up coming to about the middle of the spur gear, but the pinion pinch bolt still had plenty to bite on. Anyway, I got it bolted together, but I don't feel great about it. (Mainly because of the washers). But I'm trying to avoid another trip to the hobby shop (about an hour away) for a couple of small bolts.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to set up this sensored motor... after thinking that I had lost my mind for a half hour or so, I noticed that the ESC that came in this combo pack with the sensored motor, does not support sensored operation! (So why are they sold in a package together?!?!?!?!) I then read in the gearing chart that castle recommends the "max cells" that this setup supports on a 4x4 slash is 2s Lipo! The whole reason I bought it was to run my new 3s battery!

Needless to say, I am very frustrated with my local hobby shop. I'm pretty sure that they won't let me return it (even though they misinformed me to get me to buy it). What can I do? I'm considering selling the motor and ESC on ebay and buying a Mamba X system... But the Mamba X says it requires 3s - 4s LiPo... so does that mean that I cannot run any of my NiMH batteries with a Mamba X?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashBuster7001 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your input on the situation. Thanks for the welcomes too.

So yesterday I had some spare time so I drove out to my local hobby shop to see what they had to offer and to try to pick the brains of the guys behind the counter. I spoke to 3 or 4 different guys at the shop and they all basically told me the same things... 1. when I explained what had happened with the Velineon, they said that was weird, and that it was supposed to be able to run with a 3s LiPo. And when I asked what else I should replace the system with (now that I have lost some faith in the Velineon system), they all pointed me to a package with a Castle Sidewinder SCT ESC and a 14 series Sensored 1410 3800 Kv motor. I was surprised to see the sticker price of $110, considering some of the other setups that I looked briefly at online were closer to $250. But after getting the consensus of 4 different guys at the shop, I decided to pull the trigger and have them solder a traxxas plug on the ESC for me. I also asked at least 2 of the guys if this whole setup would just bolt straight on to my Slash. They all said it would.

When I got it home, I immediately noticed that the Sidewinder ESC didn't have any holes to bolt it to the chasis... no big deal. I can figure something out. Then when I bolted the motor to the mounting plate, the traxxas pan head screws were too long and bottomed out. The supplied Castle button head bolts wouldn't let the motor mount sit flush... I eventually put a couple of washers and made the original pan head bolts work. The motor shaft is a little shorter. It ended up coming to about the middle of the spur gear, but the pinion pinch bolt still had plenty to bite on. Anyway, I got it bolted together, but I don't feel great about it. (Mainly because of the washers). But I'm trying to avoid another trip to the hobby shop (about an hour away) for a couple of small bolts.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to set up this sensored motor... after thinking that I had lost my mind for a half hour or so, I noticed that the ESC that came in this combo pack with the sensored motor, does not support sensored operation! (So why are they sold in a package together?!?!?!?!) I then read in the gearing chart that castle recommends the "max cells" that this setup supports on a 4x4 slash is 2s Lipo! The whole reason I bought it was to run my new 3s battery!

Needless to say, I am very frustrated with my local hobby shop. I'm pretty sure that they won't let me return it (even though they misinformed me to get me to buy it). What can I do? I'm considering selling the motor and ESC on ebay and buying a Mamba X system... But the Mamba X says it requires 3s - 4s LiPo... so does that mean that I cannot run any of my NiMH batteries with a Mamba X?
    Like I said read, research. Most guys at commercial hobby shops(hobbytown, etc) are just getting a paycheck, and don't necessarily have your best interest in mind

RC Competitor
    I would still try to return it if you made it clear that you intended to run 3S in a Slash 4x4. They should work with you if you agree to buy the replacement from them. I am sure that my LHS would.

I am pretty lucky, the guy who runs my hobby shop knows his stuff. But I would guess that a lack of knowledge is a lot more common than an abundance. Even with the knowledge, he can only sell what he stocks. If its over $50 and I don't need it right away then I usually buy online.

Because this forum is provided by one owned by Traxxas, I will not mention the brand names but Youtube videos is where I made my decision. I haven't owned my ESC/motor combo long enough to recommend it but its been good so far (5 or 6 packs without a lot of careful driving).

Sorry to hear about your experience with the LHS. I agree that you should at least try to return it. Personally, I think the combo they sold you is a bit feeble for the Slash 4x4 anyway. Unless you specified a dollar amount you wanted to stick with, they should have at least shown you other options as there are many. Numerous fellas on the forum, myself included, will recommend a Castle product. Why? Because they are proven to be an excellent choice for the Slash. I can tell you, with almost absolute certainty, if you bought a 2650Kv/MMX, a 2200Kv/MMX or even the 2400Kv El Sob combo, you would probably never again worry about a motor upgrade and your thermal issues would vanish. If you think that you would never go above 4S, then the 2650Kv/MMX or 2400Kv combo would be a nice fit. If you want even more power and one day might go for some speed runs, the 2200Kv/MMX combo may be a better fit. Any of these will run on 3S, even 4S, all day long with serious, wheelie-popping power! And you'll actually get to use the benefit of having a sensored motor! BTW, I agree that it is a little sneaky to sell the sensored 3800Kv in a combo with an ESC that isn't sensor-capable. That is just a way to get many people to go out and buy yet another ESC to use the sensored feature. Why sell one ESC when we can sell you two!

As for NiMh on the Mamba x or MMX, I would not do it. You need batteries that will supply some pretty serious amps (100+) and a decent LiPo will easily provide that.

Good luck!

-Shack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drive5150 View Post
    I would still try to return it if you made it clear that you intended to run 3S in a Slash 4x4. They should work with you if you agree to buy the replacement from them. I am sure that my LHS would.

I am pretty lucky, the guy who runs my hobby shop knows his stuff. But I would guess that a lack of knowledge is a lot more common than an abundance. Even with the knowledge, he can only sell what he stocks. If its over $50 and I don't need it right away then I usually buy online.

Because this forum is provided by one owned by Traxxas, I will not mention the brand names but Youtube videos is where I made my decision. I haven't owned my ESC/motor combo long enough to recommend it but its been good so far (5 or 6 packs without a lot of careful driving).
    Bang for your buck you really can't beat a Hobbywing SC8-WP. It's a 120 amp esc good for up to 4S, and can run almost any 1/10 or 1/8 scale motor. Price on a less than 60 usd. I run one in my P4de, and love the power and simplicity of it. Motors are easier I think.
    My Rustler I have the MMX and Poseidon 2650kv, it's good up to 6S. It's a purpose build speed car though.

RC poster
    I in personal experience would go and get a gool rc 60a 4300kv brushless combo as they are Cheap they can be as low as $27.50 USD And they can be run on 3s safely and nimh 4-8s, I have had about 3 or 4 and on 3s they last about 100- 200 runs on full throttle and 3s, on stock gearing the slash should go about 70mph+ or with slightly lower gear anywhere from 80 - 100mph+

Owner of 130mph+ brushless stampede

RC Qualifier
    I would really look into the Hobbywing XeRun XR8 SCT Pro with the 3652 or 3660 G2 Sensored Combo. I paid $160 for the combo. I run the 3660 4300 kv which is limited to 2s because I race ROAR, but you can also get it in a sub 4000kv motor to run 3s. I really like this setup, and I switched from the Castle Mamba X/1410-3800kv setup, and will not look back.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

Quote Originally Posted by SlashBuster7001 View Post

The motor can run in sensored or sensorless mode. There should be instructions on how to switch it over in the manual or online somewhere.. Also, they sell this combo on Castle's website, too, so it definitely should work.
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse