RC poster

How many of you have never broken an axle stub?

This was the second part that I broke on my slash, first was the rear bumper but I was running in very cold temps and I think it made the plastic brittle. The axle stub broke at 50+ deg C during an awkward landing from only 12-18 inches. It landed with all its weight on the axle that broke while yaw'ed about 30-45 degrees and traveling about 20 mph. Not extreme conditions.

I have had this axle nut back off on a previous run so I think I may have over tightened it. I debated on replacing with MIP but the replacement stub is on $6. If this becomes a consistent problem then the MIP option is back on the table. I am hoping that it was over-tightened and the axles are durable enough to survive awkward landing from small jumps.

Also, I wish someone made a direct replacement stub that has a solid axle with a simple flat-spot so I could install a hex with a set screw and have a more solid axle.
    Last edited by Drive5150; 01-12-2018 at 10:50 PM.

When landing jumps, it is VERY important not to be on the throttle. If you are, it will cause too much stress on your driveline.
    If you're not racing your rig, just get the MIP X-Duty axles and forget about it.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    When landing jumps, it is VERY important not to be on the throttle. If you are, it will cause too much stress on your driveline.
    If you're not racing your rig, just get the MIP X-Duty axles and forget about it.

Have fun!
    That is one lesson that I need to follow! I have destroyed too many parts from fill throttle landings
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have destroyed about 20 stubs.... I now have the MIP X-duty axles

RC Racer
    And i just bend X Duty stub axels by hitting curbs
    Really hard i might just add
    Last edited by Speed freak #1; 01-14-2018 at 03:43 AM.

RC poster
    I can tolerate bending and/or breaking on really hard hits. My break was of a pretty light hit that probably wouldn't have even caused a roll-over. I had recently had the nut back off round the hex and wheel junction a little, so I really tightened the nut hoping that it would hold. The nut held...

Once I had my new stub (stock) I put this wheel and hex on the front thinking that it would see less load and may stay tight. No luck. Since both the hex and the wheel are ruined, I simple glued the rounded hex into the rounded wheel and I am running with it.

I have another spare rear stub now. So if I break another I will be placing an order for the MIP X-Ds.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that this is not a Traxxas-built Slash, it is a knock-off. I consider it the roller/plug and play version that Traxxas never (but should have) built. It did come with electronics but they would have been inferior to mainstream components 20yrs ago.