Thread: Tire balancers

RC Racer

Tire balancers

How are you guys balancing the x maxx tires? I have a losi balancer but the xmaxx tires are to big for it. Cant reverse the losi one. Itís okay for 1/8 and 1/10. Canít seem to find a taller balancer That will work. The integy adaptors donít fit the traxxas lug nut. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Track Star and i repositioned the balancer on the stand and redrilled new holes mounting it on the edge and then I clamp it to the edge of the table and i've been able to do my Jumbo Congs which are 8 in. tall and 4 1/2 wide and that's worked for me. Hope this helps

I made mine out of spare parts and some wood. I can use it on my Xmaxx, Emaxx, and Summitt.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    ^^^thats a nice design--may have to make one . thx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I made mine out of spare parts and some wood. I can use it on my Xmaxx, Emaxx, and Summitt.

Very impressive i must say

Details on how this goes together is there a hole in the block of wood for the bolt head to go into.
    You don't need a hole. All you need is these Emaxx parts: one axle carrier, two of its outside bearings, one of it's inside bearings, and one Emaxx 17mm axle adapter and nut. Then hit the hardware store for a 8mm bolt/nut, an 8mm drill bit, two sheet rock screws with washers, and some scrap wood. The rest is just common practices.

Here's some more pictures for Xmaxx purposes:

Also, I used sheet rock screws to put the wood pieces together.

RC Qualifier
    Ok i got it thanks, saves me getting in trouble for clamping to the kitchen table lol

RC Racer
    just curious --did you notice if the stock xmaxx wheel/tire was off much?

Just curious--did you notice if the stock Xmaxx wheel/tire was off much?
    Generally, twice as much as what I seen with my Emaxx. I figured it was due to the wheel being moderately bigger. Also, my Proline's were similar.

How the tire doesn't push against the wood?
    Look at the last picture, and you can see the black electrical tape. Down the road I want to do something better like an E-clip, but until then the tape works good.

How you lock the blue tire nuts from moving?
    The BLUE nut goes on the wheel. The wheel then goes on the 6mm bolt (up against the BLACK tape). Then you put the 6mm bolt's nut on just tight enough to keep the wheel squeezed between the BLACK tape and the 6mm bolt's nut. That way you can spin the whole tire/6mm bolt assembly on the axle carrier's bearings.

Have an axle carrier set up the same way right now but mine are 6 mm inside do I need to drill everything to 8mm?
    Sorry, you're right. It's 6mm. I just went down stairs and measured it, and it's definitely 6mm.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-15-2018 at 08:11 AM.

I guess i never explained properly is where the head of the bolt (socket or wrench) sits inside the carrier does it move a lot back and forth to hinder the rotation of the tire by maybe hitting against the wood I know it's probably minimal and there's not much to be done to stop it I was just curious.
    No, it doesn't move. Reason? Because, you have downward force on the bolt going though the bearings from the weight of the wheel being balance, and the rotation of the wheel isn't significant enough to have any kind of a real effect.

What is the drill bit for?
    The 6mm drill bit is for drilling all the way though your BLUE 17mm hub adaptor. So, that you can put your 6mm bolt through it.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-16-2018 at 03:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hey thanks for that, more then makes sense and your efforts are much appreciated hopefully have it finished this week.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    That owl sure looks interested... Nice rig-up!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

That owl sure looks interested... Nice rig-up!
    Thank you. It was just a quick thought, so that I could balance my Xmaxx's wheels. I originally made it for my Emaxx's tires, though. I might finesse it down the road for better use with my Xmaxx by installing a couple of axle E-clips...will see.

Anyway, my owl? (lol) That's Albert the owl, but I call him Al the owl. He will eventually go out on my pools back fence to keep the world's flying feathered poop machines away.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for this i can do my jumbo maxx's with what i have but i only have an 1/8 of an in. clearance and it's clamped to the table this is way easier.
    I hope Al works I have 6 around my garden and chicken coop and none of the birds are bothered by the owls lol the owls do get dive bombed by the ravens but the ravens still raid the cherry trees lol check your mail it's full.
    Have you tried a cutting blade on a dremel in a stand with the bolt in a drill press and circle the bolt to make a ring to add the c-clip just a thought.
    Last edited by Rain Dawg; 01-20-2018 at 02:23 PM.

What I do every time I get a new RC car is tape the holes inside of my tires with blue painter's tape (duct tape works fine too). That way, water and dust cannot get into the tires so I don't have the wobbly nightmares of unbalanced tires.

Also, please.. don't drill holes in your tires. You'll just ruin the foams more. It's a temporary fix, but once you run them through water again, and again, and again, then your foams will eventually wear out and your tire will be completely ruined. Then you'll have to spend about 70$ for a new set, which I'm pretty sure you don't want to do.
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

Have you tried a cutting blade on a dremel in a stand with the bolt in a drill press and circle the bolt to make a ring to add the c-clip just a thought.
    I'm either going to do it that way, or I'm going to put it in a drill press and use a jeweler's file.

What I do every time I get a new RC car is tape the holes inside of my tires with blue painter's tape (duct tape works fine too).
    I do that too if/when I run in anything remotely wet.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    What I do every time I get a new RC car is tape the holes inside of my tires with blue painter's tape (duct tape works fine too). That way, water and dust cannot get into the tires so I don't have the wobbly nightmares of unbalanced tires.

Also, please.. don't drill holes in your tires. You'll just ruin the foams more. It's a temporary fix, but once you run them through water again, and again, and again, then your foams will eventually wear out and your tire will be completely ruined. Then you'll have to spend about 70$ for a new set, which I'm pretty sure you don't want to do.
    Just out of curiosity, what would a permanent fix be?

The permanent fix is to put tape over your holes when you're running in watery conditions. If you already did get a bunch of water and mud inside your wheel (to do the job right); take everything apart, clean everything, let everything dry, reassemble everything, and remember to tape the holes the next time.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Pretty much all 4 of my foams is destroy and unbalance from bashing in snow/wet conditions. Some of my wheel is damaged, so water could get in no matter I tape the hole or not. I will suggest you burn two holes on the tires with a solder iron, and tape the hole on the wheels. The hole is there to spin out water or dust , and also let the air out when you land the truck, otherwise it will be too bouncy.

PS: No one sells foams for these tires, if yours is destroyed, you either buy a new set or unglue the tires and make your own foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Townie View Post
    PS: No one sells foams for these tires, if yours is destroyed, you either buy a new set or unglue the tires and make your own foam.
    Stock Xmaxx foams are easy to make.