RC Competitor

Very little power and low battery life

Ive had my LaTrax Alias for around 3-4 years now. Today, I had a pretty good first run with expert mode in it, but I have felt like for a long time that whenever I pitch down to go forward, the quad just dives, not allowing me to go forward for long without crashing. About my batteries, I plug them into the charger, it says they are fully charged. Go to fly them out, I hear the beep beep beep (low charge tone). I use is the original battery that came with it and 2 MaxAmp 800mAh 40c 1 cell LiPo packs. One MaxAmp is maybe a little younger than my Alias, and the other I got recently, but I still get short runtimes. Could it maybe be a defect in the Flight Control Board? Or is it that I have crappy/old batteries and charger? Or maybe that I am delusional. I really don't know.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by feverdog11 View Post
    Ive had my LaTrax Alias for around 3-4 years now. Today, I had a pretty good first run with expert mode in it, but I have felt like for a long time that whenever I pitch down to go forward, the quad just dives, not allowing me to go forward for long without crashing. About my batteries, I plug them into the charger, it says they are fully charged. Go to fly them out, I hear the beep beep beep (low charge tone). I use is the original battery that came with it and 2 MaxAmp 800mAh 40c 1 cell LiPo packs. One MaxAmp is maybe a little younger than my Alias, and the other I got recently, but I still get short runtimes. Could it maybe be a defect in the Flight Control Board? Or is it that I have crappy/old batteries and charger? Or maybe that I am delusional. I really don't know.
    #3 Delusional? lol - Just kidding feverdog I’ve never been happy with flight times on my Alias either & it seems like I always hit LVC sooner than I should. I know there were some early Alias’s that shipped with defective flight boards, but I was told those would hit LVC in about 2-3 mins. The quad will just automatically land when LVC kicks in. I hear folks talking about 15 min flight times, but I never get more than 5-6 mins out of mine with 700 mAH Lectrons. Don’t remember exactly, but it took several batteries to get enough footage (post edit) for this 4-min flight video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RGfwx7CWvg Flight times are directly related to flying style (easy or aggressive) so if you fly it hard, that’s probably the main reason for your short flight times. Also, the stock battery is 650 mAH 30C so the weight of those 800 mAH 40C’s could be a factor since additional weight can offset any gains from higher mAH’s. I know you also have an Aton, which is a very powerful quad, so that could contribute to your perception that Alias is under powered. It’s like going from a Ferrari to a Volkswagen, it just seems sluggish compared to what you’re used to. Have you tried adjusting your rates per this Traxxas video? Maybe you can find an elevator/aileron setting that will let your Alias maintain altitude when you apply full pitch and max throttle in fast mode?https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=QMT0p6FV2Bw
    Last edited by Ghostrider58; 01-14-2018 at 07:15 PM.

RC Competitor
    The newest battery I have lasted around 5-8 minutes. Not to bad. I really starting to use it in expert mode, but is it just me, or is the ride pretty sloppy? Im able to some turns and go forward effectively, but the quad feels like just wants to wobble in turns, which causes me to crash. I know I am new to expert mode. However,, I feel like for a newbie, I think Im doing pretty good with it. Ill definitely keep on practicing to get a feel for it. However, I just feel like the controls are just sloppy.

RC Competitor
    Now, i just installed new motors, and I felt that one side vibrated a lot. Because somehow it wasn't producing enough power with a brand new motor, the quad couldn't stabilize and shut down. The LED Lenses broke and now the motor will not turn. I am SOOO sick of this. Just breakage after breakage. Could I send my 3-5 year old Alias to LaTrax? I just want the actual people who made the quad to fix it, since I am tired of fixing it then breaking every single Hobby Grade RC I get.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by feverdog11 View Post
    Now, i just installed new motors, and I felt that one side vibrated a lot. Because somehow it wasn't producing enough power with a brand new motor, the quad couldn't stabilize and shut down. The LED Lenses broke and now the motor will not turn. I am SOOO sick of this. Just breakage after breakage. Could I send my 3-5 year old Alias to LaTrax? I just want the actual people who made the quad to fix it, since I am tired of fixing it then breaking every single Hobby Grade RC I get.
    LaTrax Helicopter Replacement Plan
    If your helicopter sustains crash damage or extensive wear that is impractical to repair, you can exchange the worn or damaged helicopter, minus transmitter, battery, and charger, for a new helicopter for a flat rate of $75.00 US, plus $5.00 US shipping and handling. All returns must be made to your hobby dealer or directly to LaTrax.