RC poster

Advice on another rustler build

Well, I'm not exactly new to rc. I've raced them for a few years with the same setup minus the odd suspension change. I run a traxxas slash with the vxl setup. Just ready for something different. Here's what I need help with. I'm thinking about buying a base model rustler and customizing it. I've been reading up on it and here's what I've come to: base rustler, castle 3800kv four pole motor and sidewinder sct combo with their usb programmer. I might consider the traxxas tqi tsm system down the road. Intended use is 2s lipo for racing (track mandated) and 3s for bashing (I've got more than enough room for it- own a motocross track). How does that sound to you guys?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dylansauls44 View Post
    Well, I'm not exactly new to rc. I've raced them for a few years with the same setup minus the odd suspension change. I run a traxxas slash with the vxl setup. Just ready for something different. Here's what I need help with. I'm thinking about buying a base model rustler and customizing it. I've been reading up on it and here's what I've come to: base rustler, castle 3800kv four pole motor and sidewinder sct combo with their usb programmer. I might consider the traxxas tqi tsm system down the road. Intended use is 2s lipo for racing (track mandated) and 3s for bashing (I've got more than enough room for it- own a motocross track). How does that sound to you guys?
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, my opinion is, racing and bashing are two different things that will requires totally different approaches. I would suggest you to crawl around the forum. You will find threads about racing build, threads about bashing and thread about speed runs. Most of us have started with a base Rusty so it is not bad at all for your project. Castle is also an excellent choice for an all around use but I would suggest you, if you can afford it, to go with a MambaX. If your are serious about racing, I think you will probably look at a transmitter/receiver that will give you much more flexibilities. For bashing, the tqi tsm system will do the job but one way or the other, one of these days, you will upgrade it. Take my words, once you start with a Rusty, you will discover that the possibilities are almost endless...

Good luck in your project and keep us informed.
    If it don't break, don't fix. No way...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate360 View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, my opinion is, racing and bashing are two different things that will requires totally different approaches. I would suggest you to crawl around the forum. You will find threads about racing build, threads about bashing and thread about speed runs. Most of us have started with a base Rusty so it is not bad at all for your project. Castle is also an excellent choice for an all around use but I would suggest you, if you can afford it, to go with a MambaX. If your are serious about racing, I think you will probably look at a transmitter/receiver that will give you much more flexibilities. For bashing, the tqi tsm system will do the job but one way or the other, one of these days, you will upgrade it. Take my words, once you start with a Rusty, you will discover that the possibilities are almost endless...

Good luck in your project and keep us informed.

-Thanks for the tip! And I'm currently on a spektrum dx3.0 controller. My dad owned an rc track 9 or 10 years ago but I was too young to really grasp it. It's been so long since anyone in my family was serious about it, when I got my slash, you couldn't buy a vxl. I had to put the velineon in it myself when they came out 😂😂. So I'm considering the mamba x now. Can anyone explain the benefits of it over a sidewinder?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylansauls44 View Post
    -Thanks for the tip! And I'm currently on a spektrum dx3.0 controller. My dad owned an rc track 9 or 10 years ago but I was too young to really grasp it. It's been so long since anyone in my family was serious about it, when I got my slash, you couldn't buy a vxl. I had to put the velineon in it myself when they came out . So I'm considering the mamba x now. Can anyone explain the benefits of it over a sidewinder?
    More voltage choices, more amp capacity, more tuning cabailities, they are better in every way. Sidewinder is entry level, MMX is not

I know I have been doing upgrades on mine since I pulled it out of the closet a few years ago. I can still think of many I could do but geepers! I hope i can quit this wonderful habit some day....
    Choose Life !!!