RC poster

Exclamation Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System on an old slash. PLEASE REPLY

SO. i have a decently old traxxas slash 2wd. i think its from 2009ish but its almsot 10 years old. is the new
    Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System compatable with it, and also what will i need to set it up if it is. What parts are recomended, What sould i not do, what SHOULD i do, all that and a bag of chips. Thank you, please rely soon.

RC Qualifier
    Make sure the trans and everywhere else has bearings.

I would also put the Slash 4x4 rear axle assemblies in. They are beefier then the stock 2wd ones.

If it's the 2 pole motor I'd definitely upgrade it to a castle combo. I had an old 2 pole and it exploded on me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Swapped a velineon in to my early 2wd slash. Best upgrade ever.

T-Maxx 4910/2 Slash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    If it's the 2 pole motor I'd definitely upgrade it to a castle combo. I had an old 2 pole and it exploded on me lol

The 2 pole is fine if it's working. Mine along with countless others are still alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by FOTOBOOMER277 View Post
    SO. i have a decently old traxxas slash 2wd. i think its from 2009ish but its almsot 10 years old. is the new
    Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System compatable with it, and also what will i need to set it up if it is. What parts are recomended, What sould i not do, what SHOULD i do, all that and a bag of chips. Thank you, please rely soon.
    Are you talking about an old Velineon 2-pole motor or the new 4-pole motor? They all should be compatible with the slash, because they haven't really changed the mounts over the years, and they wouldn't change the mounting holes, anyway, because that would mess everything up.

I would get a Castle Sidewinder SCT with the 3800kV motor. They come in a combo and are around $110 on amazon. They are a direct replacement, it doesn't heat up as much as the Velineon does, and it's a lot faster.
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

RC poster
    Is it waterproof? Is it compatible with the old slash models? Will it do wheelies? I need to know so i can get a wheelie bar.
    ALSO: will it damage the gears if i have installed a 23 tooth pinion gear and a 86 tooth spur gear?
    final gear ratio is 10.17 and i only run it on asphalt roads. thanks for the help everyone.

RC poster
    and yes it is the new motor

I didn't mean anything was wrong with the old 2 pole motor. I was just giving my experience with it. I went off one jump and then nothing happened. Motor came apart when it landed.
    I too have the sct 3800 combo. It's a monster. If your nut is tight enough, it will wheelie all day long if you want it to.

RC poster
    i second the castle sct combo; i have the 5700kv geared 16/86 on a 2s and i can match my brother in laws velineon motor geared at 21/86 on a 3s. the combo is cheaper and you can program the esc

RC poster
    Hey guys, I'm new here and I just got the new slash Raptor 2017 edition and I blew up my brushed titan 550 motor and just bought a vxl -3s, brand new, but the tabs that hold the screws on broke off. do you have any ideas on how to mount it?

RC Qualifier
    Double sided servo tape.

RC Competitor
    Yes the new velineon system will bolt right in. It is just updated from a 2 pole to a 4 pole system which gives it more torque but doesn't affect how it fits in the vehicle. Your gearing sounds pretty good but keep an eye on temps with any new combination.
    4x4 Slash
    Slash carpet racer
    Slash mudboss

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
    Yes the new velineon system will bolt right in. It is just updated from a 2 pole to a 4 pole system which gives it more torque but doesn't affect how it fits in the vehicle. Your gearing sounds pretty good but keep an eye on temps with any new combination.
    what will i need for this conversion?

RC poster
    so far i have:

Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (5x11x4mm) (2) $3.50

REMOVE $14.00
    PTFE-coated washers, 5x8x0.5mm (20) (use with ball bearings) PTFE-coated washers, 5x8x0.5mm (20) (use with ball bearings) $2.00

REMOVE $2.00
    Wheel hubs, hex (2)/ stub axle pins (2) Wheel hubs, hex (2)/ stub axle pins (2) $2.00

REMOVE $2.00
    Idler gear, steel (20-tooth) Idler gear, steel (20-tooth) $3.50

REMOVE $3.50
    Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System, waterproof (includes VXL-3s waterproof ESC, Velineon 3500 motor, and speed control mounting plate (part #3725)) Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System, waterproof (includes VXL-3s waterproof ESC, Velineon 3500 motor, and speed control mounting plate (part #3725)) $169.99

REMOVE $169.99
    Caster blocks, 30-degree, blue-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum (left & right)/ suspension screw pin (2) Caster blocks, 30-degree, blue-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum (left & right)/ suspension screw pin (2) $24.00

REMOVE $24.00
    Steering bellcranks, drag link (blue-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum)/ 5x8mm ball bearings (4)/ hardware (assembled) Steering bellcranks, drag link (blue-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum)/ 5x8mm ball bearings (4)/ hardware (assembled) $34.00

REMOVE $34.00
    Steering blocks, Rustler/Stampede/Bandit (2), 6061-T6 aluminum (blue-anodized)/ 5x11mm ball bearings (4) Steering blocks, Rustler/Stampede/Bandit (2), 6061-T6 aluminum (blue-anodized)/ 5x11mm ball bearings (4) $35.00

REMOVE $35.00
    Stub axle carriers, Rustler/Stampede/Bandit (2), 6061-T6 aluminum (blue-anodized)/ 5x11mm ball bearings (4) Stub axle carriers, Rustler/Stampede/Bandit (2), 6061-T6 aluminum (blue-anodized)/ 5x11mm ball bearings (4) $35.00

REMOVE $35.00
    Body clips, heavy duty (12) Body clips, heavy duty (12) $3.00

REMOVE $3.00

(some of this is unrelated and for a nitro car)

RC poster
    The new motor has 3 wires off of it but my current one has 2

the old one just connects straight to the ESC and the esc connects straight to the battery. will this need any parts for it to work?