Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Queens, NY/Orlando, FL
    Posts
    520

    Question about light kit.....

    Now that the light kits are finally back in stock (got the notice from Traxxas last night), I want to place an order for a full kit today

    I'm a little confused about the wiring module though

    I've read that the lights aren't controlled by the transmitter (bummer), yet the module plugs into one of the receiver channels

    What exactly is the point of this if there's no control?

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    I assume just a place to plug all the individual harnesses in, otherwise you’d have several more wires to run into the receiver box.

    You can get a receiver controlled switch and and make them controlled by the radio if you wanted to. Since the trx uses all 5 channels, you’d have to get creative an y off one of the servo outs. Like: lights on when in low gear or diff locked or something like that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maxx 8S

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Québec, Canada
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    Now that the light kits are finally back in stock (got the notice from Traxxas last night), I want to place an order for a full kit today

    I'm a little confused about the wiring module though

    I've read that the lights aren't controlled by the transmitter (bummer), yet the module plugs into one of the receiver channels

    What exactly is the point of this if there's no control?
    The lights doesnt take that mutch power on the battery, mine are always on when my truck is on, anyway I like to see the lights on when I go crawling

    Envoyé de mon LG-H831 en utilisant Tapatalk
    One Stampede and one TRX4

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Queens, NY/Orlando, FL
    Posts
    520
    Not worried about the lights draining the battery as my pack pretty much lasts hours with my style of driving, but I would definitely like to have it remotely switchable.

    I wouldn’t mind having them turn on when only in low or whenever I lock a diff if those are my only options with the stock Tx

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    173
    I’m am wondering the same thing. The module plugs into the red connector off the speed controller for power and then it lowers the voltage for the led lights. But that does not explain why we need the connector plugged into the receiver. I am just guessing but I have a feeling that it is there to tell the module when the truck is turned on so that the light only turn on when you turn on the truck otherwise the lights would be on whenever the battery is plugged into the speed controller. I wonder if there was an extra channel if there would be a way to turn the lights off using that connection or is it not looking for a signal and only looking for power on the power wire?

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    173
    I just went back and watched the install video again and noticed there is only one wire going to the connector off the speed controller and one wire going over to the receiver. It looks to me like the light module is getting power from the receiver and grounding to the speed controller connector that is basically just a ground connection to the battery. That doesn’t seem right to me because that would mean the lights are pulling power from the BEC and as we all have heard the Bec on the stock speed controller is already kind of weak. Can anyone else explain this to us how this thing is powered

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Queens, NY/Orlando, FL
    Posts
    520
    Hmm, does anyone make a stand alone remote kit for RC lighting?

    Sumthin like this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uposkcujP8Q

    But with a small remote like this (or maybe a simple keyfob)


  8. #8
    RC Qualifier SummitonSlingrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
    I am just guessing but I have a feeling that it is there to tell the module when the truck is turned on so that the light only turn on when you turn on the truck otherwise the lights would be on whenever the battery is plugged into the speed controller.
    Yes this is why the wire is plugged into the receiver, to tell the lights to turn on/off when you turn on/off the ESC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
    I wonder if there was an extra channel if there would be a way to turn the lights off using that connection or is it not looking for a signal and only looking for power on the power wire?
    My guess is it is only looking for power.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    83
    The 8028 power supply is powered off the JST tap on the ESC and is switched on/off via the signal wire that plugs into the RX. I installed the 8030 light kit on one of my TRX4s and frankly I'm disappointed with it. IMO, the only thing the 8030 kit has going for it are the rock lights. The 8030 kit provides no turn signal, brake light or backup light function. However, on my #2 TRX4, I installed a MyTrickRC light kit which provides all of the above functions and actually includes six additional lights, not counting the rock lights, that the 8030 kit does not for the above functions.
    Last edited by Inspector86; 01-19-2018 at 01:12 AM.
    It's a rock, get over it!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Queens, NY/Orlando, FL
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
    The 8028 power supply is powered off the JST tap on the ESC and is switched on/off via the signal wire that plugs into the RX. I installed the 8030 light kit on one of my TRX4s and frankly I'm disappointed with it. IMO, the only thing the 8030 kit has going for it are the rock lights. The 8030 kit provides no turn signal, brake light or backup light function. However, on my #2 TRX4, I installed a MyTrickRC light kit which provides all of the above functions and actually includes six additional lights, not counting the rock lights, that the 8030 kit does not for the above functions.

    Would I be able to use the UF-7 controller to turn the 8030 lights on individually from the stock transmitter?

    Like head/trailights-rock lights-lightbar by flicking the 2-speed or locker switches?

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159

    Question about light kit.....

    From a control perspective, yes. I use their dragon controller and their light bar on my Xmaxx that way (with some creative wiring from my balance port to use 3 cells for 11.1v). Remember that to use the receiver control switch, that the batteries that power the light last must share a ground with the batteries that power the receiver.
    BUT, someone else with more knowledge about the power rating of the Traxxas light kit will have to chime in and tell us how much power that the Traxxas kit will handle. I saw someone mention that the small Traxxas distribution box that comes with the light kit steps down voltage, but I’m not sure about that. Just make sure that if you use a different controller, you don’t overpower the Traxxas kit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PitchforkR; 01-19-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Maxx 8S

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    83
    The Traxxas 8028 light power supply runs directly off the battery but steps the voltage down to 3v to power the lights. The
    UF-7 is powered off the RX and in the TRX4 that is 6v which is also stepped down to 3v. You should be able to run the TRX4 lights off the UF-7 controller with just a plug change. The problem I see is that the Traxxas light kit wiring is so fine that it might be a challenge to change plugs.
    It's a rock, get over it!

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    159
    Nice. Thanks for clearing that up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maxx 8S

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    South Haven MN.
    Posts
    392
    Do they make a Y plug for servos? You could run both of the locker servos off one channel and lights off the other locker channel.
    I DONT WANNA GROW UP!!!!
    AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!!
    MSN MESSENGER fast350x@hotmail.com aim fast350x

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •