RC Qualifier

I'm back after many years.

Hello everyone,
    My name is Robert and I am happy to be back to the Traxxas family. I have been gone from RC cars for about 6 years. I use to have two custom built Tmaxx's. I purchased 2 Rustlers yesterday and waiting for delivery tomorrow. I just wanted to say hi, and I will be looking though all of the post's to get ideas and tips for the Rustler. I purchased 2 so that the kids will also have one to mess around with. I seen a video a few days ago that showed some guy driving a RC car down the freeway in California. I would never do that, but that is what made me go out and buy them.
    FLM Tmaxx 3.3, Nitro Sport 2.5R, Electric Rustler.

Welcome back to the RC world Robert. Congrat's on your Rustler purchases. I bought mine in 2006 and it had been in the box till 2 years ago. You get the xl5 or the vxl? Have fun and make sure you keep on training mode for the kids. Seems you have experience driving so you should be alright on all out mode. I never had a clue what you can do with them till I pulled it out. Omg, the upgrade's are endless....Hope y'all enjoy!

I have spent more time working and piddling around on both my rusty and p4de than running them. As a matter of fact, i just received my diff cups for the p4de. As soon as I get them installed, I hope my wrenching is over till something breaks. My plan has been to build them so they won't so maybe my running days are getting closer. So many things in life that put a halt to my planned running time.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    Welcome back. Your going to end up buying one for each of them you know that, right? I'm just coming back in myself from a ten year leave. It's not easy. A lot has changed but stick with it and learn something new each day.
    Oh, if you ever do want to run an RC down the freeway Traxxas has a 100mph electric car that can even get you jail time in some places. Not that I'm advocating braking laws or wanting to see anyone in jail. Just know that tech has come that far over the years. But, that car is even above my pay grade and I started in '94. I'm just too old and slow for it.

Have fun!
    Snake Eyes Racing est. 1994 Stampede/MSC

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake eyes View Post
    Welcome back. Your going to end up buying one for each of them you know that, right? I'm just coming back in myself from a ten year leave. It's not easy. A lot has changed but stick with it and learn something new each day.
    Oh, if you ever do want to run an RC down the freeway Traxxas has a 100mph electric car that can even get you jail time in some places. Not that I'm advocating braking laws or wanting to see anyone in jail. Just know that tech has come that far over the years. But, that car is even above my pay grade and I started in '94. I'm just too old and slow for it.

Have fun!
    Funny and true. My Rustler will do 100 plus with ease. Welcome back. You're right. So much has changed since I built my RC-10T 23 years ago

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Welcome back to the RC world Robert. Congrat's on your Rustler purchases. I bought mine in 2006 and it had been in the box till 2 years ago. You get the xl5 or the vxl? Have fun and make sure you keep on training mode for the kids. Seems you have experience driving so you should be alright on all out mode. I never had a clue what you can do with them till I pulled it out. Omg, the upgrade's are endless....Hope y'all enjoy!

I have spent more time working and piddling around on both my rusty and p4de than running them. As a matter of fact, i just received my diff cups for the p4de. As soon as I get them installed, I hope my wrenching is over till something breaks. My plan has been to build them so they won't so maybe my running days are getting closer. So many things in life that put a halt to my planned running time.
    Thank you Lektro, I got the XL5 version. We ran the cars today and the kids had a blast.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake eyes View Post

Have fun!
    Oh I know that I will buy more! I am already thinking that I want another one so that we can run 3 at a time. 100mph is great, but I would imagine that it would be hard to control. I will work my way up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by rchavez101 View Post
    Oh I know that I will buy more! I am already thinking that I want another one so that we can run 3 at a time. 100mph is great, but I would imagine that it would be hard to control. I will work my way up to that.
    If you do get a third. Go for the VXL. What a difference when you go from a brushed to brushless. Or maybe another xl5 and upgrade yourself which is probably what you will want to do even if you get the VXL. I have had such a great time rebuilding mine that I honestly don't feel I have missed much by not driving them. Sure I will once I start.

I have been running the rusty here and their but since I put a new motor in it. I have not gone over 1/4 throttle yet. It's coming though.... Happy RCing to you and your kids! OH and maybe to the wife too. Hard to tell what the wive's think about them...haha
    Last edited by lektro; 01-20-2018 at 09:41 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    RC car on FWY was in texas, lol.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

Anybody see the movie where the bad guys were using a nitro vehicle full of explosives, to chase down 2 detective's to run under it and blow them up? I think it was the one that Mel Gibson and Danny Glover played in. They did several and the name of the movie is on the tip of my tongue.... Any how, It was pretty cool......

Lethal Weapon......
    Last edited by lektro; 01-21-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    welcome back.

I was the same way was out of it for about 10 years and broke it out a few years ago because my son was old enough to have some fun with it.

The rustler is nice and sturdy and when it does break it is easy to work on. Aside from changing a few parts over the years the car has remained basically the same as when it came out (which was nice for me since mine had sat for so many years I was still able to find the parts for it.

Have fu running them and have fun upgrading them when they break.