Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    420

    Slayer brake transmission question.

    I was hoping to shed some weight on my electric converted Slayer by eliminating the brake and all the parts that go with it. But it looks like it won't stop without it. Is there something I could do in the trans to use the motor for braking? I haven't looked at the trans parts illustration yet but there must be some sort of one way bearing that allows it to freewheel when I let up on the throttle.

    Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Charger Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    681

    Slayer brake transmission question.

    I havenít done it but my idea is you would need to somehow remove the parts in the transmission that allow the transmission to spin while idling. I did some research and someone was talking about locking the transmission in second gear with the 3 screw method.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    115 mph Heavily Moddified Slash 4x4 on 6s

  3. #3
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,314
    Yes, you need to lock it in second gear. Then you can remove the mechanical brake and use the motor for reverse. There is a one way bearing in the tranny that will allow the transmission to spin one way and freewheel the other.
    The Super Derecho

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Yes, you need to lock it in second gear. Then you can remove the mechanical brake and use the motor for reverse. There is a one way bearing in the tranny that will allow the transmission to spin one way and freewheel the other.
    Ok thanks, I really didn't want to have to reinstall all that brake stuff. I was going to open it up tonight and see what I could break. LOL!

    Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Ok thanks, I really didn't want to have to reinstall all that brake stuff. I was going to open it up tonight and see what I could break. LOL!

    Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    I watched a couple videos on youtube on the 2nd gear lock and got it completed on two transmissions. The only thing I did was use some longer 6-32 screws, notching the inner part of the gear next to the gear with the one way bearing then put epoxy around the screws and beyween the two gears to lock everything together. It would be nice if someone made a gearset to do this. I thought about machining a hub to get rid of the one way bearing and the bearings it rides in but I'll try that when I get a spare trans. to mess with.

    Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,314
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I watched a couple videos on youtube on the 2nd gear lock and got it completed on two transmissions. The only thing I did was use some longer 6-32 screws, notching the inner part of the gear next to the gear with the one way bearing then put epoxy around the screws and beyween the two gears to lock everything together. It would be nice if someone made a gearset to do this. I thought about machining a hub to get rid of the one way bearing and the bearings it rides in but I'll try that when I get a spare trans. to mess with.

    Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    Someone did years ago - they machined a part to fit in place of the two-speed clutch. I wish I could remember his username...
    The Super Derecho

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •