Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Water problems

  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5

    Water problems

    I have a Slash 4x4 Platinum when i bought it I bought 2 Venom 3S 5000 mah lipo batteries...last year I was running it on the beach and a wave caught the car so it was submerged and the ESC burned, after that I replaced the ESC with a Hobbywing Max10 and the battery began to fail, charging was a nightmare because it seems like the balance port was damaged and the voltage readings where crazy until one day one of the cells came to 0v and didn't charge or work on the car anymore so I just threw it.

    Now with the battery that is left and the new ESC I went to a little river and each time I cross it and the Slash was partially submerged it came out like if the first stage of the low voltage cut off was reached for a moment so it runs slow but then it came back again and keep running normally and it happens like three times so I decided not to cross the river anymore and stop it to get it dry, battery was almost discharged after a lot less time than it normally lasts but after that everything ir running ok with no problems.

    So I wanted to know if some of you have had some problem like this? Is it just bad luck? At first I thought it was the VXL that failed but know i think it's that venom lipos don't like water very much and tend to fail but i would love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    388
    Salt Water can instantly burn out any electronics. Salt Water transfer electricity very well, fresh water does not. Stay away from Salt Water. Salt Water can also cause rust/corrosion which will lead to failure in the near future of electronics.

    Also, most Hobbywing ESC's are not waterproof. So check to make sure with that as well.
    Last edited by BadAssRC; 01-20-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

  3. #3
    RC Racer MindBlown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    H-town, Texas
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by dagosr View Post
    I have a Slash 4x4 Platinum when i bought it I bought 2 Venom 3S 5000 mah lipo batteries...last year I was running it on the beach and a wave caught the car so it was submerged and the ESC burned, after that I replaced the ESC with a Hobbywing Max10 and the battery began to fail, charging was a nightmare because it seems like the balance port was damaged and the voltage readings where crazy until one day one of the cells came to 0v and didn't charge or work on the car anymore so I just threw it.

    Now with the battery that is left and the new ESC I went to a little river and each time I cross it and the Slash was partially submerged it came out like if the first stage of the low voltage cut off was reached for a moment so it runs slow but then it came back again and keep running normally and it happens like three times so I decided not to cross the river anymore and stop it to get it dry, battery was almost discharged after a lot less time than it normally lasts but after that everything ir running ok with no problems.

    So I wanted to know if some of you have had some problem like this? Is it just bad luck? At first I thought it was the VXL that failed but know i think it's that venom lipos don't like water very much and tend to fail but i would love to hear your opinions and recommendations.
    Honestly, venom batteries are not that good at all. Their customer service is really bad, too. If you want a really good and cheap battery, I would get an SMC or Floureon battery.

    Was the river saltwater?
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Iansprouse1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    439
    the most corroded piece of electronics i have ever seen was a victim of saltwater. it was a servo on a 3906 E-Maxx that was so corroded, you couldn't even turn the gears or even take it apart. i actually had to cut the sucker in half to open it
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier Trentbaby65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    438
    Salt water??? Nooooooooo!
    That would be your problem right there.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,572
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

    I will NEVER own another venom lipo! The last two that I bought crapped out after a short period of time. Then venom refused to warranty them! I hope you have better luck than I did.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    75
    hey iansprouse1 love your beardie they are the coolest creatures

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    Salt Water can instantly burn out any electronics. Salt Water transfer electricity very well, fresh water does not. Stay away from Salt Water. Salt Water can also cause rust/corrosion which will lead to failure in the near future of electronics.

    Also, most Hobbywing ESC's are not waterproof. So check to make sure with that as well.
    Yeah I learned that the bad way, after that I don't even run the cars on the dry sand because it's a headache to clen and remove...that was the first and last time I ran my RCs on the beach.

    And the MAX10 is waterprooof except for the fan, I've used it on mud, not very deep water, and washed it with the hose and no problem at all until I took it to the river so that's why I thought it could be a battery issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    Honestly, venom batteries are not that good at all. Their customer service is really bad, too. If you want a really good and cheap battery, I would get an SMC or Floureon battery.

    Was the river saltwater?
    I wish i knew this before i bought two of them and a charger...actually the charger sometimes isn't very accurate and show different voltages, in some cases it even finishes charging the battery and doesn't stop.

    The river wasn't salt water I would never run an RC on the beach again unless I want to damage it or be willing to take it all apart and clean it deeply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iansprouse1 View Post
    the most corroded piece of electronics i have ever seen was a victim of saltwater. it was a servo on a 3906 E-Maxx that was so corroded, you couldn't even turn the gears or even take it apart. i actually had to cut the sucker in half to open it
    When the ESC burned I stayed for almost a week and when I came back and took it apart there were sand in every single corner and the diffs were already corroding badly I had to clean them, take the corrosion and obviously put some new grease cause the old one was orange, also a motor bearing was stuck so the motor didn't spin...saltwater and sand are the worst for RCs

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

    I will NEVER own another venom lipo! The last two that I bought crapped out after a short period of time. Then venom refused to warranty them! I hope you have better luck than I did.
    Thanks I've been in the hobby for almost 15 years beginning with a 1st gen t-maxx and have been into nitro until I bought the slash like in november 2016 because I wanted to try electrics and loved the idea of a fully waterproof RC but have never joined the forum I just came sometimes to read but never posted before.

    And the batteries the first one I threw it away and will use the other one until it fails but hopefully not very soon and will never buy a Venom one again and also don't plan to claim any warranty.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-21-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: merge

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Iansprouse1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman1984 View Post
    hey iansprouse1 love your beardie they are the coolest creatures
    Thanks! They really are arenít they


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Quote Originally Posted by dagosr View Post
    When the ESC burned I stayed for almost a week and when I came back and took it apart there were sand in every single corner and the diffs were already corroding badly I had to clean them, take the corrosion and obviously put some new grease cause the old one was orange, also a motor bearing was stuck so the motor didn't spin...saltwater and sand are the worst for RCs
    Didnít even think about the metal on the diffs corroding. Must have just assumed they were really well sealed and left it at that. You might want to consider some new bearings. If they rust out then your vehicle isnít going anywhere.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-21-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: merge
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •