Thread: Rust and Filth

RC Competitor

Rust and Filth

At an open area nearby, I was finally able to use my X-Maxx on full power. It was freaking awesome what it could do. However, there was quite a bit of water and dirt there, and it was covered with it when I came home. Took a hose, rinsed the entire thing with water. I then dried it a bit. If I accidentally don't dry it off, how water resistant is the truck? Ive seen horror stories where people completely drown it into water, or even a little bit of water and their truck completely rusts out. For me, the screws look pretty rusty, but the electronics and drive train work fine. I just noticed a little bit the bearings for the cush drive are rusty. I don't know, since I didn't take it out, so it could just be the grease.

RC Competitor
    Can someone please tell me how water resistant X-Maxx is?

RC Qualifier
    Well I haven't had much run time but I had my brand new green 8s x maxx covered in wet snow today. The only issue I had was throttle hesitation but I the that's due to the un realaibilty of the vxl8s etc nothing to do with the snow. I also used a air compressor and a blow run and blew and the snow off and wiped it dry after wards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightning2 View Post
    I run mine all winter and pack it with snow. Let it dry inside on a towel, the only surface rust I’ve gotten all winter is on the bolts.
    Same here. The only rust should be on the bolts which goes away after some time. I drive mine in the snow pretty often and the chassis gets covered. I shake it off, leave it on the ground upside down and let it dry. No problems yet. Although some do it without issue, I wouldnt completely submerge the vehicle or directly blast the electronics with water. I hose it off sometimes but never directly spray the electronics. I am planning on getting a chassis cover in the near future though.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Nightflier x4.6 View Post
    Well I haven't had much run time but I had my brand new green 8s x maxx covered in wet snow today. The only issue I had was throttle hesitation but I the that's due to the un realaibilty of the vxl8s etc nothing to do with the snow. I also used a air compressor and a blow run and blew and the snow off and wiped it dry after wards.

It maybe possible to upgrade the ESC firmware to 2.0.199 to get rid of throttle hesitation or random instances of braking.

Can someone please tell me how water resistant X-Maxx is?
    The only thing that's water resistant is the electronics, and that's because they are sealed in boxes. If I purposely run mine in wet conditions, its at the end of the season when I know I'll be taking everything apart anyway. On occasion, though, if I do get caught in watery muddy conditions (during my season), I hose everything off and then use the BLOW part of a shop vacuum (with a narrow nozzle) to blow everything perfectly dry.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Check your bearings. Water destroys bearings. Yes the new firmware fixed my issues with my esc. It works like it should now with more torque than when i got it. Im hoping all that hesitatiion and twitching did not damage my esc. If your esc is hesitating,, running iisin that conditiin is just asking for it to fail. update the firmware, or if you dont have bluetooth ask your lhs if they can do it. If they cant send it into traxxas and they will do it free of charge.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    What I did is that I took a hose and sprayed all the dirty parts, and then proceeded to dry them. However, When I try to push the car, Theres lots of resistance and a squeaky noise, like Mr. Krabs black boots. Ive had that happen before, and that just mean I got to lubricate the corners. For applying WD-40, do you spray it on all of the parts that have bearings? Im starting to develop anxiety around my X-Maxx being badly damaged by this. Also, what type of air compressor could I use to get all of the filth of my X-Maxx?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Wd40 can be used to displace water out of the bearings, but it is not a lube. There are oils made specifically for bearings. If you constantly run in wet conditiins, you can remove the bearing seals and pack them with marine grease. It adds a little drag to the drive line but it keeps the moisture out longer. You will still have to periodically remove, clean, and repack the bearings for constant wet running. That is too much work for me so i dont run in the wet anymore. The squeeking is either the bearings rusting, and could also be the suspension hinge pins rusting and the plastic might be squeeking around them.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

If you constantly run in wet conditiins, you can remove the bearing seals and pack them with marine grease. It adds a little drag to the drive line but it keeps the moisture out longer.
    Mr. Rag is right, but it's even a good idea for dry bashing conditions. You will introduce (an ever so slight amount of) drag, but you'll never notice it unless you're a competitive racer where every 1/100th of a second counts. I do it with all my vehicles, because there's nothing worse (IMO) than having to replace a bunch of parts just because a bearing decided took a poop. Also, once you perfect your technique you can go though all your trucks bearings pretty darn fast.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-23-2018 at 03:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Reg,

Honestly best way i have found to clean the truck is to use a vacuum; i tip it over shake, and repeat, then i vacuum it (either use a high HP shop vac or get a small vacuum designed for cleaning small items), and then i use an my air comp. to blow out debris and moisture. Lastly, i use a graphite based lubricate, - or you can use silicone lubricant, the type you would use to clean and lube sliding glass doors and their tracks, -because these lubricates don't attract sand and dirt like WD40 will, and i use the spray tube to lay down a nice coat on all the bearings and drive train. I don't touch the electronics, except with water, OR use Corrosion-X - if i really feel the need.
    Corrosion-X works the best, because you can spray the electrics without any fear, and it helps to protect the electrics from corroding from exposure to moisture, this however, will attract dirt - again it's a darn balancing act. Or just do what my nephew did last night, drive the truck into the pool

Did i mention buying an upgrade set of bearings - at least for the hubs- from boca? Can't go wrong with ceramic balls and SS races. No rust. Almost worry free. I wouldn't waste the time cleaning cheap bearings when a new set of cheap bearings can cost 20 bucks. Is the time worth saving the money, or is the money worth saving time?
    Last edited by SHIFTT IX MR; 01-25-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Hi Shift,

I do several of the things you do. What I like to do with the shop vacuum is to use the blower side of the vacuum with a one inch nozzle at the end. Then I do as you, and use my air compressor to finish up. I'm with you on lubes, and the only spray lubes I like to use is a touch of silicon on my ESC fans.

Your tip on ceramic balled bearing makes perfect sense, and if I ever start having problems with my repacked bearings I would definitely have to consider using them. As far as time investment, it's no big deal for me to go over each one of my RC's once a year during my off season. I usually do a little each night after my workout and before my wife has dinner ready...it relaxes me.

Something else that helps with time investment, is having a well organized work bench and speed tools. If needed (on average); when I do my "Once a Year" I can completely break down, maintenance, repack, repair/rebuild, clean, and reassemble any one of my RC's in under four hours...and that's taking my time. It also helps, that I can leave my work on my work bench (I have several) without having to worry about my work being disturbed. Not having to get everything out, and put everything away after each night sure saves a lot of time.

Anyway, thank you again for your ideas, and I will definitely give those ceramic bearings a try if/when I ever start having any problems with my cheaper repacked ones. For now though, with all my bearings repacked with BelRay marine grade grease, I haven't had any trouble getting though my RC seasons trouble free. But, if that ever changes, I'll definitely come-a-callen.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-26-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Waterproof or not I still tuck a Glad sandwich bag around the electronics if waters being used to clean.

Sort of like the old days back home driving through water after thunderstorms. I'd wrap the distributor and coil, lol.

RC Racer
    When ever I run any of my rc's in wet conditions I'll first wash it with the hose, but only if it is dirty. Then I let it dry by the vent in my house. I just turn the furnace fan on and let it dry there for an hour or 2. Then I'll spray down all the bearings with WD-40. I've run in wet conditions about 10 times now and no rust is to be seen.
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM
    Revo 3.3

RC Champion
    Along the coast here which is pretty much the same as Wash. state we avg. 12 ft of rain a yr if we had to wait for nice weather we would never be driving rc's. With 2 E Maxx's and 1 stampede in the last 2 yrs we've replaced 3 bearings and 1 stock 12T motor we run in sand pits,(not the salt water beaches) gravel pits and just plain bashing in the mud and water we don't go out without our rain gear.
    The main thing is maintenance we hose them off with a garden hose blow dry with an air compressor (sometimes 3 cycles) oil the bearings on the motors spray the axles with wd-40 stand them up over furnace vents or upside down under the boot dryer.
    These trucks are really amazing they take a beating but you need to take care of them. 1 motor and only
    3 bearings in 2 yrs is saying were doing something right, just have fun but maintain them.

Washington state we average 12ft of rain a year. If we had to wait for nice weather we would never be driving RC's.
    With all the rain you guys get, I'm surprised you guys don't get into RC boats. For me (after we get a bunch of rain) instead of playing with my trucks in all the wet and mud; I breakout the boats (one of which is a Spartan). When the asphalt surfaces dry; I breakout the ol' XO-1. Then when the dirt's back to being dry again; it's back to my X and Emaxx's.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Hi Shift,

I do several of the things you do. What I like to do with the shop vacuum is to use the blower side of the vacuum with a one inch nozzle at the end. Then I do as you, and use my air compressor to finish up. I'm with you on lubes, and the only spray lubes I like to use is a touch of silicon on my ESC fans.

Your tip on ceramic balled bearing makes perfect sense, and if I ever start having problems with my repacked bearings I would definitely have to consider using them. As far as time investment, it's no big deal for me to go over each one of my RC's once a year during my off season. I usually do a little each night after my workout and before my wife has dinner ready...it relaxes me.

Something else that helps with time investment, is having a well organized work bench and speed tools. If needed (on average); when I do my "Once a Year" I can completely break down, maintenance, repack, repair/rebuild, clean, and reassemble any one of my RC's in under four hours...and that's taking my time. It also helps, that I can leave my work on my work bench (I have several) without having to worry about my work being disturbed. Not having to get everything out, and put everything away after each night sure saves a lot of time.

Anyway, thank you again for your ideas, and I will definitely give those ceramic bearings a try if/when I ever start having any problems with my cheaper repacked ones. For now though, with all my bearings repacked with BelRay marine grade grease, I haven't had any trouble getting though my RC seasons trouble free. But, if that ever changes, I'll definitely come-a-callen.
    I've been debating a nice work bench, would you mind posting some pics, i'm just looking for ideas. I have a gaint table, and room, dedictated to RC, but having said that i debating a tool chest of some sort to have in that room. I really want to keep my tools for RC seperated from my tools for work on my EVO, or on the house. Not gonna lie, not all my tools are always clean, and i want to change that, problem being I don't like have to walk downstairs into my garage to get the tools; i like your idea of having the tool left out - but do you have them anywhere but the table?

J

What you should do is post some pictures of where you want to make your Man Shop. That way we can look at what's best for what you have. I can still post some pictures with ideas you might want to try, but no two Man Shops will have the exact same needs. The big thing is to get, be, and stay ORGANIZED.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    What you should do is post some pictures of where you want to make your Man Shop. That way we can look at what's best for what you have. I can still post some pictures with ideas you might want to try, but no two Man Shops will have the exact same needs. The big thing is to get, be, and stay ORGANIZED.
    don't laugh when you see it hahaha

RC poster
    Something that I would also be careful of is running it on, in or around snow or ice that has been treated with salt. Salt will corrode any metal if its left any length of time. And those black oxide screws will rust before anything. I haven't had any problem with rust as of yet but I've only had it in the snow/wet conditions 2 different runs totaling 20 mins then back indoors and upside down to dry out. If your truck lives most of its life in the water, I would invest in a stainless screw set.

I can't wait to get my paddle tires and do some runs across the lake!
    Green X-Maxx 8s
    Modded T-Maxx TRX PRO .15