Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cost effective 4s lipos for X-Maxx?

This one is for all you 8s bashers out there, what is a good cost effective 4s lipo to run 8s with? I'm looking at running my X on 8s after i get my max6 installed.

RC Competitor
    For me, the SMC. But if I can choose again, I won't get the 9200mah 4s, although it fits the Xmaxx tray nicely, but it is a just too long for most of my other rigs, get those shorter one, like 5000-8000mah 138mm length etc.

RC Racer

Cost effective 4s lipos for X-Maxx?

Smc makes some very good batteries for pretty good prices. You could also look into lower cost batteries but the x-maxx is very demanding power-wise so i dont know if they could keep up with it. You could also buy more low MAH batteries instead of high capacity batteries, they tend to have a bit less bang for buck capacity wise.
    Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-25-2018 at 08:02 PM.

RC Racer
    the smc 4s 6700mah batteries are going to be your best bang for the buck to run.

RC Racer
    I use smc and hobbystar. Hobbystar has 8000mah 100c 4s lipos for cheap that are great. They are also the same size as my smc 5200mah batteries.

RC poster
    I've been using 6000 mah 50C 4s Lipos from HRB. You can find them on eBay for about $60 bucks each. I get about 35 mins of hard run time from these so I'm happy.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Maxx View Post
    This one is for all you 8s bashers out there, what is a good cost effective 4s lipo to run 8s with? I'm looking at running my X on 8s after i get my max6 installed.
    check out floureon i got 2 4s 5500 for 37$

any one try any of the venom lipos? I'm eyeballing the venom "fly" 30c 5000mAh 4s lipos.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Look at reviews and employ the you get what you pay for theory.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jwm614 View Post
    Link please!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those are 35c batteries not designed for a 30lb truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Those are 35c batteries not designed for a 30lb truck.
    The Traxxas 4s batteries are 25c. They work great in the X-maxx
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus001 View Post
    The Traxxas 4s batteries are 25c. They work great in the X-maxx
    Okay. I subscribe to amp ratings and not C ratings anyhow. Seems to me most who have lower C(amp) rated batteries wonder why they puff in high current applications

RC Qualifier
    I use Floureons in my planes and trucks...they are great lipos! As with any lipo, don't cycle them so steep and take them out of the truck when done running.

Floureons are found at Amazon.

I am still running 5 year old Floureons in my planes, and my new 2s 5200's charged fully in 25 minutes at 1C and after running two in series, they both were at identical final voltage.

My personal preference is to stop the truck at 3.8....maybe 3.7 at the lowest. Your lipos will "never" puff if you take them out at a sensible voltage.

Take negative reviews with a grain of salt....you don't know how the reviewer treated their lipo. Just because they typed something doesn't make them an expert. I've been wrong about things, but can at least accurately report on my experiences.
    Last edited by GT Joe; 03-05-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Slash VXL, Stampede VXL, 4tec VXL ,Bandit VXL

RC poster

Quote Originally Posted by GT Joe View Post

Floureons are found at Amazon
    2 4s fluoreon 5200 are $90 on Amazon that's why I was wondering where he found them for $37

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have Floureon lipos, of the 3S variety. I just think with the steep requirements on the X-Maxx they may not be the best choice. But then again Iím not running stock electronics

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrjr View Post
    2 4s fluoreon 5200 are $90 on Amazon that's why I was wondering where he found them for $37
    he probably meant $37 each, and that's possible depending on which sub-seller was listing them within Amazon. I have seen many different prices for the same item depending on which seller, and even which day....lol

RC poster
    he probably meant $37 each, and that's possible depending on which sub-seller was listing them within Amazon. I have seen many different prices for the same item depending on which seller, and even which day....lol
    No 37 for both I got them on eBay an the seller listed listed them wrong

RC Qualifier
    No 37 for both I got them on eBay an the seller listed listed them wrong
    You didn't buy those lipos, you stole them...lol!

Okay. I subscribe to amp ratings and not C ratings anyhow. Seems to me most who have lower C(amp) rated batteries wonder why they puff in high current applications
    i am currently running the traxxas 3s 5000mah and i have one that they sent me and have had it for >1 month and has not puffed yet. I would say and have seen plenty of 30c lipos work flawlessly in the x-maxx.

RC poster
    You didn't buy those lipos, you stole them...lol!

sure did soon as i bought them he changed the listing to 3s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Maxx View Post
    i am currently running the traxxas 3s 5000mah and i have one that they sent me and have had it for >1 month and has not puffed yet. I would say and have seen plenty of 30c lipos work flawlessly in the x-maxx.
    Well thatís great. This thread is titled cost effective lipos 4S. Traxxas lipos are overpriced and have mediocre performance. What part of expensive and okay is a good cost effective solution. You do your motor, wiring, and esc a disservice using less than optimal batteries. I donít consider cheap as cost effective. Reasonable price good performance=cost effective. Read some battery performance reviews.

Well thatís great. This thread is titled cost effective lipos 4S. Traxxas lipos are overpriced and have mediocre performance. What part of expensive and okay is a good cost effective solution. You do your motor, wiring, and esc a disservice using less than optimal batteries. I donít consider cheap as cost effective. Reasonable price good performance=cost effective. Read some battery performance reviews.
    I was just making a point that those are 25c and work fine and that 30c should be fine. I've even run my 20c 2s LiPos' no problem. Also, i was just asking for a little guidance, I did not want to bicker over c ratings, a lower 25c 10,000 mah will have the same amp output as a 50c 5000. Just saying.
    Last edited by X-Maxx; 03-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.

RC Competitor
    Guys, I just bought some smc 4s 7400 and there isn't much better you can ask for

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by XmaxxSmash View Post
    Guys, I just bought some smc 4s 7400 and there isn't much better you can ask for
    Iíve got a couple of them. They are nice

RC Competitor
    Do the 4s SMC 7400 mAh packs fit ok in the battery tray?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Seems amps are better way to rate batteries ability to supply current under load. I don't trust most C ratings, many of them are hilarious especially if you read the rest of the battery specs.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by David1970 View Post
    Do the 4s SMC 7400 mAh packs fit ok in the battery tray?
    Same question, they've got some kinda funky wire exit setups on their 4s lipos. :/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    Seems amps are better way to rate batteries ability to supply current under load. I don't trust most C ratings, many of them are hilarious especially if you read the rest of the battery specs.

Agreed.

Same question, they've got some kinda funky wire exit setups on their 4s lipos. :/
    Yes, so do the 10500ís. Just without the factory hold downs. The 7400ís do. But itís tight.

RC Champion
    Yes, their selection of lipo configuration lately is rather odd.

So you're saying that the 7400 4S will fit with or without factory hold downs? I really like the ease, strength of stock battery hold downs but have been thinking of doing the velcro battery straps so that I can fit all my different physical size lipos in with much less hassle, nothing rattling around or getting crushed by the hold downs.

10500mah just too much weight imo, but I'm learning this truck still.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, their selection of lipo configuration lately is rather odd.

So you're saying that the 7400 4S will fit with or without factory hold downs? I really like the ease, strength of stock battery hold downs but have been thinking of doing the velcro battery straps so that I can fit all my different physical size lipos in with much less hassle, nothing rattling around or getting crushed by the hold downs.

10500mah just too much weight imo, but I'm learning this truck still.
    Youíll end up ejecting batteries on a bad tumble with stock hold downs. I added less than a pound going from 7400 to 10500. I did it because my setup and gearing would drag the batteries down to LVC pretty quick. The 10500 are a 205 amp battery as opposed to a 149 for 7400.

RC Champion
    XT150 plugs soldered last night and driven in garage for about 30 seconds before bedtime. Connectors are very nice, no need for jumper is awesome too. Ran a pair of batteries tonight after work by the street lights, need headlights and tails, neighbors run bicycle tail lights and light bars up front, I need similar.

Ya I was noticing Kevin ejects batteries lol. Thatís bad for lipos getting spit out and beat around even if theyíre hard case. Iirc youíre running Kershaw motor? You definitely need the amps available for your setup. Iím not planning on going more than 1600kv 6s motor but those are almost impossible to find. Iím stock gearing atm, but have 50T spur to gear up a little for now.
    Last edited by Natedog; 03-16-2019 at 12:52 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    XT150 plugs soldered last night and driven in garage for about 30 seconds before bedtime. Connectors are very nice, no need for jumper is awesome too. Ran a pair of batteries tonight after work by the street lights, need headlights and tails, neighbors run bicycle tail lights and light bars up front, I need similar.

Ya I was noticing Kevin ejects batteries lol. Thatís bad for lipos getting spit out and beat around even if theyíre hard case. Iirc youíre running Kershaw motor? You definitely need the amps available for your setup. Iím not planning on going more than 1600kv 6s motor but those are almost impossible to find. Iím stock gearing atm, but have 50T spur to gear up a little for now.
    I run a 5898 leopard motor, 1100kv, geared 37/46. A Max 5 pushes it, and itís a 200 amp continuous motor, ESC, and battery. Itís paired very well, and not light.

RC Enthusiast
    Really liking my SMC 7200's. (https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=510)

40+min runtimes, stays cools, fits with stock battery holders, and are hard cased. They match every cell and all 8 cells were within .01v of eachother and remain so after 20-ish cycles.

Edit: on completely stock everything else. Now have a Max6 and 2085x, still seems great, but I don't have much experience with it yet. Yay work.

RC Champion
    Gripdog7205, thanks now I remember.

Vagabond102, thanks for the input too.

RC poster
    So.. I bought the 4S 9200MAH from SMC racing, I’ve used them once and after about 10 minutes of playing around my ESC fried. My understanding this is relating to voltage spikes with 8S batteries. I’m currently running an XMaxx 6s with an 8s ESC with these 4S batteries. Any suggestions on how to make these batteries work? Or is this because of the 1600kv motor being too much with these batteries with the Traxxas 8S ESC? I would be interested in trying the Max6 or max5 ESC if this would prevent this in the future, I’m afraid to run these batteries again right now.. these are 186 amp batteries

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulpandemic View Post
    So.. I bought the 4S 9200MAH from SMC racing, Iíve used them once and after about 10 minutes of playing around my ESC fried. My understanding this is relating to voltage spikes with 8S batteries. Iím currently running an XMaxx 6s with an 8s ESC with these 4S batteries. Any suggestions on how to make these batteries work? Or is this because of the 1600kv motor being too much with these batteries with the Traxxas 8S ESC? I would be interested in trying the Max6 or max5 ESC if this would prevent this in the future, Iím afraid to run these batteries again right now.. these are 186 amp batteries
    I run the 10500ís with a Max5. Theyíre 205 amp batteries. Theyíre awesome, Iím sure yours would work great with that esc as well

RC Enthusiast
    What happened to SMC batteries? The largest capacity they offer now is 6500mah?

I'm looking for some upgraded packs over the stock traxxas batteries which are 6700mah. I use to have the Kershaw 9000mah packs but it seems those are no longer sold...but they were awesome!
    Last edited by fidelity007; 07-23-2019 at 09:41 AM.

RC Champion
    Their quality went to crap.

I'm having good luck with Power Hobby lipos.

RC Qualifier
    SMCís quality went to crap? That is the first Iíve heard of that. You sure about that???? Never heard anyone here say a bad thing about SMC. To each their own, but I would be careful about spreading bad info!!

RC Enthusiast
    I was looking at a pair of these.

https://dirtcheaprc.com/shop/vant-ba...cer-truck-udr/

A bit cheaper than Power Hobby and larger than anything SMC sells at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast