Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    Wow good thing I got both pairs of the SMC 7400mah and 10500mah lipos
    I hope SMC will make some more of the big packs
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Qualifier
    Same here.

Newbie question here...any reason y'all aren't just using Traxxas batteries?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Newbie question here...any reason y'all aren't just using Traxxas batteries?
    Theyíre mediocre at best. Overpriced, and donít provide the proper amps for a large vehicle.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    SMCís quality went to crap? That is the first Iíve heard of that. You sure about that???? Never heard anyone here say a bad thing about SMC. To each their own, but I would be careful about spreading bad info!!
    I have lots of SMC batteries, I like them, but like so many things here, more people than SMC make good batteries, more companies make good motors than Castle, etc. If people donít give things a shot, same as we did with SMC when SPC closed up shop, businessí donít have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Theyíre mediocre at best. Overpriced, and donít provide the proper amps for a large vehicle.

Hmmm....I seem to be happy with them so far. Then again, I'm more into runtime than speed so maybe that makes a difference?
    Lord knows, I've spent a bunch on just batteries already!

Let's see:

4x 2843
    4x 2869
    3x 2820
    2x 2878

So just under $700 just on batteries...

RC Qualifier
    I totally get that. Someone posted saying their quality was no good. Was just responding to that. Just have never heard anyone having issues with their batteries. And oh how I do miss SPC. It truly is a shame that he went out of business. At any rate, I agree, there are other places to get good batteries. Like I said, was just curios as to why someone would post saying the quality of SMC batteries has gone way down. Just never heard that before from anyone. At any rate, have a great evening!!

RC Champion
    @222 Sorry my previous post was short. I’ve bought and run many brands and sizes of lipos, in my experience SMC puff quicker than some cheaper lipos even when when meticulously balanced and storage charged. However they don’t puff as fast as some brands and I’ve bought much more expensive lipos that also puffed too soon. SMC are definitely better than GensAce. So that’s some of my lipo lihv experience. Couple of friends like the huge SMC lipos, but some of there’s are a bit puffy too.

They’re mediocre at best. Overpriced, and don’t provide the proper amps for a large vehicle.

Yep.
    Last edited by Natedog; 07-24-2019 at 01:31 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm....I seem to be happy with them so far. Then again, I'm more into runtime than speed so maybe that makes a difference?
    Lord knows, I've spent a bunch on just batteries already!

Let's see:

4x 2843
    4x 2869
    3x 2820
    2x 2878

So just under $700 just on batteries...
    Imagine how much fun you could have with good batteries, Iíd say you bought a traxxas charger, so if you stepped up your charger game, you could get there quicker and get there quicker.

Imagine how much fun you could have with good batteries, I’d say you bought a traxxas charger, so if you stepped up your charger game, you could get there quicker and get there quicker.

I've no need to get there any quicker. If all the batteries are charged up I could go all day even without charging any while running others.

Yes, I got the Traxxas 2972 dual charger.

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    I totally get that. Someone posted saying their quality was no good. Was just responding to that. Just have never heard anyone having issues with their batteries. And oh how I do miss SPC. It truly is a shame that he went out of business. At any rate, I agree, there are other places to get good batteries. Like I said, was just curios as to why someone would post saying the quality of SMC batteries has gone way down. Just never heard that before from anyone. At any rate, have a great evening!!
    I have quite a few SMC batteries that are a few years old and are still pretty good. I have a set of 4500mah 3s that I bought last spring that ever since new have gradually declined. The IR has gone up alot pretty much from the time i got them. Another set i have that i bought around the same time is still golden. I also had a 4s SMC pack that just spontaneously puffed after only about 15-20 cycles. I let it cool down, when I put it on the charger I watched the cell puff and the internal resistance was rapidly climbing so I took it outside and retired it. I have also recieved new gens ace batteries that had cells below 3 volts. I've had gens ace, many, many venoms die prematurely. I swear it's luck of the draw anymore. I have tried Vant before, pretty decent too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've no need to get there any quicker. If all the batteries are charged up I could go all day even without charging any while running others.

Yes, I got the Traxxas 2972 dual charger.
    If youíre happy, thatís all that matters.

If you’re happy, that’s all that matters.

I figure the less drama the better...if I stick with all Traxxas stuff, There's only one source and not one company deferring issues on another. Plus, there's the whole proprietory connector stuff that I'd rather not deal with.

RC Enthusiast
    Guys, I’m not so sure about SMC’s claimed quality. I recently bought a set of 4500mah 3s lipos for my e-revo 2.0 and they aren’t charging or holding charge after maybe 15 cycles, I’m not sure what is wrong, because with so many people on here praising them, I’m feeling I may have done something wrong??!! I balanced them correctly, charged em at 3 amps every time, and stored them at a storage voltage. HELP?? Lol

RC Enthusiast
    They aren’t charging or holding a charge? Are they puffed or is the internal resistance (IR) number of each cell dramatically higher than when they were new? Batteries can also fair early if they’re dragged below 3.2v when discharging...they also get hot when this happens. Or they fail when pulling on them harder than they’re rated for, which would be hard to do given the ratings on these packs lately. But check the IR of each cell...less than 15 cycles and they should still be under 3 or 4 mOhms per cell.

I just purchased a pair of SMC 9400mah 4S packs for my Xmaxx so I’ll report back after I’ve used them 10-15 times.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity007 View Post
    They arenít charging or holding a charge? Are they puffed or is the internal resistance (IR) number of each cell dramatically higher than when they were new? Batteries can also fair early if theyíre dragged below 3.2v when discharging...they also get hot when this happens. Or they fail when pulling on them harder than theyíre rated for, which would be hard to do given the ratings on these packs lately. But check the IR of each cell...less than 15 cycles and they should still be under 3 or 4 mOhms per cell.

I just purchased a pair of SMC 9400mah 4S packs for my Xmaxx so Iíll report back after Iíve used them 10-15 times.
    I got a set of 9200mah SMC 4s in April, this is the 21st cycle on them. IR is still pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Im running HRBs from Amazon they seem good for the price (Im in the UK)

RC Enthusiast
    Little bit of puffing, but not a whole lot. Voltage checker says it is at 4 volts all cells combined?? Something weird is going on here. I never discharged them below about 3.4 or so.

RC poster
    Smc batteries!!! Just picked up some new ones and they are awesome

RC Qualifier
    I figure the less drama the better...if I stick with all Traxxas stuff, There's only one source and not one company deferring issues on another. Plus, there's the whole proprietory connector stuff that I'd rather not deal with.
    I'm with USMC1984 on this one - I also only have Traxxas batteries.
    If SMC were available in the UK I'd probably give them a try though, but for now I'm happy with the Traxxas packs I have.....
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Qualifier
    My issue with traxxas batteries is the low c rating. I haven't seen any over 35c.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12