RC Enthusiast

New servo for 17mm conversion?

Hey everyone! Joined this forum a few years back and then fell out of the hobby for a bit. Back now and have a question. If I go to a 17mm hex conversion should I upgrade my servo? Currently running the stock 2075.

TIA!

What tires/wheels are you going to run? That will influence servo requirements. I had some 2.8s on for quite quite a while with the 2075...it worked OK. I currently run a Power HD 23kg......it works better.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Nothing crazy I guess? Still very new. I want to eventually do speed runs so I'd assume tires that aren't any heavier than stock.

Welcome back!

A lot of upgrades are really based on what you want out of your rig. Moving to a 17mm hex won't in and of itself be something to necessitate an upgrade. If you want faster steering response or plan on adding a larger set of tires, you will probably want to upgrade. I personally like having my Slash to respond almost instantly when I want/need it to... like when a tree or other obstacle jumps out in front of me. It also makes driving a little bit more fun.

If you do decide on an upgraded servo, there are a few things to consider. First would probably be waterproof or not. Then comes the actual specs of the servo. How much torque do you need and how fast do you want it to respond? As for price, they vary like everything else. Guys here have said they've had good luck on lower-end, less expensive units but I can't speak to that. I've had excellent results with most of my Savox goods and think they are worth the premium paid.

Good luck!

-Shack

RC Enthusiast
    I was looking at the Savox-1258 it looks lightening fast! That being said will I need to install an external BEC? I've read people having brown out issues, but that seems only to pertain to Castle esc's. Sorry for the novice questioning!
    Oh and I'm currently running the stock setup for the Platinum slash 4x4. So VXL.

Nothing to be sorry for brother! Ask away!

I've bought many Platinums... great rig! If you're gonna keep the stock tire/wheel size, that servo is a good choice. Only a little more torque but LOTS more speed! It is not waterproof though whereas the 2075 is. The Savox SW-1211SG is only about $20 more than the 1258, is waterproof and matches the 1258's speed plus has significantly more torque... but needs more voltage. It may be debatable to some, but I would use an external BEC anyway so the voltage needs can be dealt with properly. With a small cash investment, you can easily remove the electrical burden from your VXL and be able to run an HV servo like the 1211SG. You could also add/move fans to be powered by the external BEC to further ease your ESC's BEC.

-Shack

RC Enthusiast
    Any particular BEC you'd recommend?

There are a bunch of good ones out there but if you need a waterproof design, they cost a little more. For non-waterproof, I like this one. Unless you drive in some really wet conditions, it will work. If you want to price-out something cheaper or waterproof, I would try to look for a BEC with at least a 10A rating, up to 6S (25V) input and a decent voltage-out adjustment range like 4.8 to 9V.

-Shack