RC Turnbuckle Jr.

On the fence for steering choices.

So I can decide what to do for steering. YY makes a nice aluminum bell crank. HR makes nice toe links. All this would be black anodized aluminum. The HR bell crank has the blue tie on it, so it's out. I'm going with green shocks and stub axles.
    This will be a beautiful truck, but will be well used and fully functional. Am I kidding myself thinking these parts will hold up to abuse. Should I just spend 14 bucks for the stock steering setup? The 2085x looks good for the price. Anyone have any other ideas?

RC Competitor
    Hi, I would get the 14 bucks one. Save the money and buy another sets of tires maybe? Proline is coming out with a paddle tires for the Mx43 rims, interchangeable with badland!

PS: Sorry, do you have a budget at all? if no, get the most expensive there is!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Townie View Post
    Hi, I would get the 14 bucks one. Save the money and buy another sets of tires maybe? Proline is coming out with a paddle tires for the Mx43 rims, interchangeable with badland!

PS: Sorry, do you have a budget at all? if no, get the most expensive there is!
    No real budget, but I don't want t buy something that's gonna get torn up quick. Especially if it's expensive

I upgraded to the 2085x, and it is a great servo.
    As for the steering I would keep it stock, it works great.
    The truck has been great stock, I might get some aluminum shock caps.

RC Enthusiast
    Another vote for stock plastics as they hold up great to abuse and 2085x servo holds better in turns than stock servo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    I upgraded to the 2085x, and it is a great servo.
    As for the steering I would keep it stock, it works great.
    The truck has been great stock, I might get some aluminum shock caps.
    Will it have enough torque for Badlands though?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Stock plaetic strering is my choice. I did snap a plastic link, but it was a huge crash. Only 5 bucks for a pair and i still have a spare now.I may get a more powerful servo in the future if the 2085x ever dies, but it is sufficient stock.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Will it have enough torque for Badlands though?
    if your referencing the badlands and the 2085x look at Kevin Talbot's youtube channel. He uses the badlands with the 2085x servo.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Maxx View Post
    if your referencing the badlands and the 2085x look at Kevin Talbot's youtube channel. He uses the badlands with the 2085x servo.
    Finally! Another person who knows that dude. Love that guys channel, just stupid fun bashing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If he goes by Kev right. I've seen him. I'll check it out though.

RC Racer
    I run the stock steering brace and crank, 2085x and Badlands. I am very happy with it and have cartwheeled it plenty of times with no damage. I saw Kev mentioned earlier. Hes got a YouTube of a steering mod that helps one of the bolts from backing out. I did it on mine and have had no trouble since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maxx 8S

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

On the fence for steering choices.

Quote Originally Posted by PitchforkR View Post
    I run the stock steering brace and crank, 2085x and Badlands. I am very happy with it and have cartwheeled it plenty of times with no damage. I saw Kev mentioned earlier. Hes got a YouTube of a steering mod that helps one of the bolts from backing out. I did it on mine and have had no trouble since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel better about my decision now.
    I saw that video too. Seems so simple it should be done from the factory. Since I'm building from scratch I'll definitely do it. Parts arriving tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by feverdog11 View Post
    Finally! Another person who knows that dude. Love that guys channel, just stupid fun bashing.
    i am a subscriber to his channel. Love his content.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Enthusiast
    So I got the 2085x heavy duty servo today. What exactly does the spring do? Is it tighter or looser. Is it really needed? I though about not using it. What do you guys think?

RC Champion
    i think it's stiffer than the stock spring - at least it was more of a fight to install it when I did the 2085x upgrade. After the install the servo definitely works better than the stock one but the wheels are still a little floppy in the rough stuff. I may add a shim and tighten it up a little more.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    i think it's stiffer than the stock spring - at least it was more of a fight to install it when I did the 2085x upgrade. After the install the servo definitely works better than the stock one but the wheels are still a little floppy in the rough stuff. I may add a shim and tighten it up a little more.
    Ok. So the stiffer spring is defintaely needed? Thank you.

RC Champion
    yep i would say it is needed. and maybe some additional shimming (not much) to make it a little tighter. It's a balance though because too stiff defeats the purpose of the servo saver and will kill the servo. On a side note - traxxas did a great job in designing the steering system - everything is on ball bearings and beefy.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Enthusiast
    So I went to install the spring. Pushed the spring down and tightened up the screw. As I slowly released pressure on the spring it pulled the screw right out. So now it's stripped. I guess I need to buy a new servo saver system. It seems to me that the new spring has too much pressure for the screw and the plastic servo saver. Anyone else have this issue?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinomike View Post
    So I went to install the spring. Pushed the spring down and tightened up the screw. As I slowly released pressure on the spring it pulled the screw right out. So now it's stripped. I guess I need to buy a new servo saver system. It seems to me that the new spring has too much pressure for the screw and the plastic servo saver. Anyone else have this issue?
    I saw a video on YouTube where the guy used a little bit longer screw with a Nylock nut. that should fix your trouble

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrjr View Post
    I saw a video on YouTube where the guy used a little bit longer screw with a Nylock nut. that should fix your trouble
    That was good ole Kevin. I did it before I ever ran my truck. It works like a charm.