Thread: Axle shafts

RC Racer

Axle shafts

I've noticed on Slayer/Revo the male end is outboard while on the Slash they are inboard. Why do they do this? I would think the male end outboard would be best at keeping fine dirt/dust out of the splines.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I've noticed on Slayer/Revo the male end is outboard while on the Slash they are inboard. Why do they do this? I would think the male end outboard would be best at keeping fine dirt/dust out of the splines.

I don't know why they do it, but I've run mine both ways on my Slash and there's
    no noticeable difference. I run on a dusty track and have to clean em regularly.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    I don't know why they do it, but I've run mine both ways on my Slash and there's
    no noticeable difference. I run on a dusty track and have to clean em regularly.
    I'm thinking of swapping them around on my 2wd slash just to try. After looking closely I noticed the splines are very fine unlike the slayer/revos. I had some Slayer shafts that were beat to heck. I have revo boots to put on the Slayers new shafts.

I've wondered the same. My Slash's shafts are installed the same way as my Revo.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Between the coarse spline & the less depth of engagement (compared to how a Revo is set up), I have worn out 2 sets of axles on my Slayer pro. My cure was to buy Revo axles & cut them down to allow 1/4" of clearance from bottoming out in the female end with the suspension level. Gives you MUCH more spline engagement to spread/carry the load, less axle shaft wobble/runout & shaft boots too! Reducing the axle wobble at the splines made the axle shaft u-joints last longer, also. You can do the same thing to the fr. & rear driveshafts. Since they don't need to telescope, I set them up at 1/8" clearance. Anywhere you can spread the load & decrease potential vibration, you will reduce power loss - another plus.
    Last edited by moparbarn; 02-03-2018 at 10:36 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by moparbarn View Post
    Between the coarse spline & the less depth of engagement (compared to how a Revo is set up), I have worn out 2 sets of axles on my Slayer pro. My cure was to buy Revo axles & cut them down to allow 1/4" of clearance from bottoming out in the female end with the suspension level. Gives you MUCH more spline engagement to spread/carry the load, less axle shaft wobble/runout & shaft boots too! Reducing the axle wobble at the splines made the axle shaft u-joints last longer, also. You can do the same thing to the fr. & rear driveshafts. Since they don't need to telescope, I set them up at 1/8" clearance. Anywhere you can spread the load & decrease potential vibration, you will reduce power loss - another plus.
    Thanks, I noticed through the range of travel there is very little telescoping going on. I can't believe how much the male (splined) portion of the Slayer shaft is exposed. Now I wish I would have kept all the Revo parts when I converted it to a Slayer.