RC Qualifier

Savox SW1210SG Waterproof Metal Gear Digital Servo - 20kg

Hi all, now a trx4 defender owner as upgrading from a summit. Just a quick question, I am swapping out my waterproof savox servo from the summit to trx4. however, having a problem. The servo when in use is interfering, the motor is juddering. (everything else is standard) any suggestions as to how or why this is happening?

Are u running a external bec? Servo could b pullin to much n causin the stutter in the motor

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    No I am not. Just plugged in to the receiver. How would I do a Bec for a servo?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdcs07 View Post
    No I am not. Just plugged in to the receiver. How would I do a Bec for a servo?
    IndyBama is correct, your servo is probably drawing to much power. Traxxas has this bec and cover designed for the TRX4 part # 2262. https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=2262

RC Qualifier
    Etronix Power Cap. Would this work to help fix?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdcs07 View Post
    Etronix Power Cap. Would this work to help fix?
    You won't know until you try so if you can get one cheap and it works that's a bonus or if you have the parts and can solder you can make your own. If it still glitches after you install one of these then I would do the external bec and solve your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    You won't know until you try so if you can get one cheap and it works that's a bonus or if you have the parts and can solder you can make your own. If it still glitches after you install one of these then I would do the external bec and solve your issues.
    Not really. Glitch-busters (capacitors) work for fast RCs because normally the servo load is temporary enough that the cap can supply the momentary power that could cause brown outs or other problems. In scalers/crawlers like the TRX4, the steering tends to be under higher demand for a longer amount of time, very quickly depleting the capacitor and leaving your electronics starving for power; or worse, overloading the ESC's BEC.

With that, if you are just trail running, you are likely fine with the on board BEC. But, if you do any crawling or other conditions where the steering often gets bound up, then you will want an external BEC.

The Traxxas BEC linked above is spendy for what it is, but it is a drop-in solution and will be more than enough for that Savox servo.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Not really. Glitch-busters (capacitors) work for fast RCs because normally the servo load is temporary enough that the cap can supply the momentary power that could cause brown outs or other problems. In scalers/crawlers like the TRX4, the steering tends to be under higher demand for a longer amount of time, very quickly depleting the capacitor and leaving your electronics starving for power; or worse, overloading the ESC's BEC.

With that, if you are just trail running, you are likely fine with the on board BEC. But, if you do any crawling or other conditions where the steering often gets bound up, then you will want an external BEC.

The Traxxas BEC linked above is spendy for what it is, but it is a drop-in solution and will be more than enough for that Savox servo.
    Thank you for explaining the glitch busters, I have read how it's helped others for brown outs on certain issues but I have no experiance with one and have only ever used the external bec's with the bypass adapter.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you all for your explanations and help got a glitch buster on order as only 3 delivered. If that does not work will look at the traxxas route just is a bit pricy.

What I don't get though is this worked in the summit with the stock radio gear and esc. So assuming it would of been find I this.