Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    I use paper to set gear mesh. Doesnít bind at all and the wheels coast to a stop. Do you think it might be batteries? Iíve noticed people talking about capacitor packs, is that just to help the ESC get it the power it needs to start the motor spinning?
    The cap pack reduces ripple voltage(sag) under load. It's easier on the whole truck,
    Especially the esc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I can't go without saying something about your build Grip. Wish I had of seen this thread sooner. Im' going to call it a her cause she is looking mighty sweet. I remember somewhere you said you might convert the LST2 to electric. Happy to see you go this route seeing you know what you are getting when you order parts. The LST2 could have been a night mare, never know.

Great to see how things are coming along. Now i have seen your thread I will be keeping my eyes on it. Have fun with the build and hopin ya get the perfect motor, ESC combo.I know you have this figured already, but them kill mode cap pacs are beasts. My hat is off to you sir!
    Thanks man. I love the P4de and my Rustler. I just wanted to do a scratch build on a larger scale. The Max 5 has a continuous amp rating of 200, while the XLX has 160. The Castle products are now being limited in current software revisions to help their failure rates. Don't get me wrong they're nice pieces. But the numbers speak for themselves.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Back to the overheating motor issue from earlier, if your motor is hot and your ESC is cool you could be undergeared. If both the motor and speed control are getting hot you're probably over geared
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer

Grips Maxx Build

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Back to the overheating motor issue from earlier, if your motor is hot and your ESC is cool you could be undergeared. If both the motor and speed control are getting hot you're probably over geared
    Thatís a great point rag6 and thank you for your feedback. But I donít think itís being under geared thatís my issue. I bashed pretty hard and love speed but almost never get to go full throttle. The truck never runs out of power, which is why I kept going lower on gearing.
    The ESC does get warm, but not hot. I wish the max5 came with a temp sensor. That would be very helpful.
    Last edited by pontiacHP; 02-09-2018 at 07:08 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it sure does. Started with 34/46 then to 34/50, 34,54 and now at 32/54. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    If i remember right KershawDesign recommend 29P/54S for 5892... i use castle 2028 dual fan, replaced with Hudy 6-8,4V (use 8,4V) extra battery, really keeps temp down! 127F runing hard 5-10 minutes.. think 34P use more AMP and give higher temps... Ps upgrade Max5 fan as well.
    Last edited by VIX; 02-09-2018 at 05:33 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by VIX View Post
    If i remember right KershawDesign recommend 29P/54S for 5892... i use castle 2028 dual fan, replaced with Hudy 6-8,4V (use 8,4V) extra battery, really keeps temp down! 127F runing hard 5-10 minutes.. think 34P use more AMP and give higher temps... Ps upgrade Max5 fan as well.
    Thanks for the reply VIX. I currently do not have a fan on the motor. I honestly didnít think I was going to need one! But maybe your right and I should try the castle dual fan. I also have a 30t pinion I can try as well.
    So youíre powering the fans with a separate battery? What battery are you using and where did you mount it?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the reply VIX. I currently do not have a fan on the motor. I honestly didnít think I was going to need one! But maybe your right and I should try the castle dual fan. I also have a 30t pinion I can try as well.
    So youíre powering the fans with a separate battery? What battery are you using and where did you mount it?
    Not to take over this thread... No fan, ofcourse you see high temps..try stock castle fans first.. or replace them with stronger 8,4V. Im getting 8V from Max5 (special). You will need extra battery, make a plate or strap it in the front over the steering...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Y'all are good. I have no updates to my build. That last eBay order of 600 did me in for a minute. I'm learning from you as I go. I've been told that the 1340 is borderline too fast for the maxx. New Kershaw owner suggested the 100-1100 range. I don't like how the 1200kv Lepoard looks. Silly but I don't.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by VIX View Post
    Not to take over this thread... No fan, ofcourse you see high temps..try stock castle fans first.. or replace them with stronger 8,4V. Im getting 8V from Max5 (special). You will need extra battery, make a plate or strap it in the front over the steering...
    Thank you sir for your help on this. Iím curious about your max5 (special) could you explain what youíve got there?

Man, you guys must be special. Where did all this respect come from... I am overwhelmed!
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Grips Maxx Build

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Man, you guys must be special. Where did all this respect come from... I am overwhelmed!
    Point taken. Pretty sure I only gave you a hard time because I know you and it was a picture only thread. Still all love

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Point taken. Pretty sure I only gave you a hard time because I know you and it was a picture only thread. Still all love
    Could not agree more. I hope you know my statement had nothing to do with you...
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So who can tell me if the Lepoard 5898 1100kv motor does well on 8S. Literature states max voltage of 32 volts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Grips Maxx Build

Also it seems as though you can get the Max5 into the chassis. Why mount the plate and stick it up high. As long as your motor is short enough.
    Never mind. I see the issue.
    Last edited by Gripdog7205; 02-10-2018 at 04:55 PM.

RC Competitor
    This is my plan also. Gonna move the rx box up forward by the shock tower and do whatever needed to sit the max5 down low. I believe VIX did the same. Not a fan of mounting on top of the rails.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleSix View Post
    This is my plan also. Gonna move the rx box up forward by the shock tower and do whatever needed to sit the max5 down low. I believe VIX did the same. Not a fan of mounting on top of the rails.
    The width is good. It's the length that's the issue. You have to modify the chassis slightly. Then address waterproofing issues on the receiver box.

RC Enthusiast
    Im running the Leopard 5892 1090kv pinion35 and spur54 my problem is that it is overheating when I run Madmax V1 in snow due to high wheelspinn and heavy tires. I will go down to pinion 26 with spur 54 which will be a better setup and make less strain and heavy spike amp draw on ESC. Most guys myself included gear to high meaning we have pinion spur combo for speed so high we can only use half throttle. I got some yoda advice from boatguys who were laughing at us X-Maxx newbie gearing setups. The ideal setup for a motor is max throttle at 60-70 mph and to gear for that so forget those 35 pinion 46 spurs if you want to be kind to your ESC.

RC Competitor
    The width is good. It's the length that's the issue. You have to modify the chassis slightly. Then address waterproofing issues on the receiver box.
    I don’t plan on running in the water or snow much if I can help it. I will use a rx box from a rustler 3707. Its nice and small and I’ve used them before on previous builds. I believe they are supposed to be waterproof also anyway. Whatever needs to be done to the chassis will be worth it to keep the max5 down off the top of the rails.

RC Competitor
    Personally I think just throwing the max5 on a plate on top of the rails looks like an afterthought and an easy way to do it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Grips Maxx Build

I donít plan on running in the water or snow much if I can help it. I will use a rx box from a rustler 3707. Its nice and small and Iíve used them before on previous builds. I believe they are supposed to be waterproof also anyway. Whatever needs to be done to the chassis will be worth it to keep the max5 down off the top of the rails.
    That's a great idea with the Rustler box. I'm gonna steal idea I think.
    Either that or use the stock box and seal the mounting plate, assuming you were gonna use one. There's a good YouTube video with a guy using standoffs and a carbon fiber plate to bridge the chassis gap. Only had to shave the portion where the water proof cover mounted.
    Last edited by Gripdog7205; 02-10-2018 at 08:16 PM.

RC Competitor
    Tra3628 is the part #. I usually drill out the small clear part that the rx light shows through and put the antenna there.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tra3628 is the part #. I usually drill out the small clear part that the rx light shows through and put the antenna there.
    I'm probably gonna leave it sealed. You happen to know if the 5898 will fit with the Max5 on the chassis. May just have to test fit in a week or so. The 5898 1100kv is 6500 watts. Right at 200 amps. Seems perfect. I'm gonna go with that and stop looking. I'm running the 54 spur, so I'm gonna try the 29 tooth pinion.

RC Competitor
    I do not know how it’s going to fit. Guess I’ll just find out the hard way within the next couple weeks also.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Grips Maxx Build

I do not know how itís going to fit. Guess Iíll just find out the hard way within the next couple weeks also.
    Haha. Great minds think alike.
    I'll be running XT 150's in this rig. How about you?

RC Competitor
    Either xt150’s or castle 6.5. Haven’t decided yet. Currently have deans on the stock 8s just because its what I’ve always used. Never ran more than 6s though till now so not sure yet which way I’ll go.

RC Competitor
    Was just looking around at fan options for the 5898 and came across the Kershaw site and scrolled down and saw the 5898 listed with a note saying “only for lightweight 1/5 scales geared properly”. What would qualify for lightweight? Xmaxx since its technically a 1/6 scale? Now I’m right back where I started again with the motor search, lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Grips Maxx Build

Was just looking around at fan options for the 5898 and came across the Kershaw site and scrolled down and saw the 5898 listed with a note saying ďonly for lightweight 1/5 scales geared properlyĒ. What would qualify for lightweight? Xmaxx since its technically a 1/6 scale? Now Iím right back where I started again with the motor search, lol.
    Yeah. I read that too. Its watt rating is 6500. It's rated to draw and withstand more amps and volts than the 1340, 5892 can. So I don't know how to take that statement. I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow. I need to make up my mind.
    Last edited by Gripdog7205; 02-11-2018 at 09:23 PM.

RC Competitor
    I was so close to pulling the trigger, just donít want to end up shooting my self in the foot, lol.
    Iíll be very interested to hear what you find out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Leopard 5898 1100kv motor, Kershaw motor mount and 22 and 29 tooth pinions ordered today from Nova RC(new Kershaw). The new owners name is Quinn, nice guy. He sent me a PayPal request directly after we spoke. Assuming shipping goes well, it will have been a very positive experience.

RC Racer
    ^^^I may have missed it but how did you contact him?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by js1badsti View Post
    ^^^I may have missed it but how did you contact him?
    The number on kershaws Facebook page is still good. Just talked to him 1/2 hour ago and got my mount and pinions ordered also.

RC Racer
    So who can tell me if the Lepoard 5898 1100kv motor does well on 8S. Literature states max voltage of 32 volts.
    I have used the 1340Kv more than the 1100Kv, using all sorts of gearing, both motor's perform very similar IMP. I got approx. 50 hours on the 1100Kv and just over 60 hours on the 1340Kv. That includes the learning curve of gearing and proper fan placement which came at the cost of batteries and ESC's. Both the motor's outlasted the uneducated abuse I embarrassingly put them through. I don't know if these motor's are suppose to be well made or hardy, not sure how the rest of the community views them but I would recommend either for the basher.
    de oppresso liber

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA7224 View Post
    I have used the 1340Kv more than the 1100Kv, using all sorts of gearing, both motor's perform very similar IMP. I got approx. 50 hours on the 1100Kv and just over 60 hours on the 1340Kv. That includes the learning curve of gearing and proper fan placement which came at the cost of batteries and ESC's. Both the motor's outlasted the uneducated abuse I embarrassingly put them through. I don't know if these motor's are suppose to be well made or hardy, not sure how the rest of the community views them but I would recommend either for the basher.
    Are you saying they both have failed? If so, what failed? Just curious.

RC Racer
    Are you saying they both have failed? If so, what failed? Just curious.
    The fans broke which caused over heating issues, guessing it's from hard landings. I'm in a desert, the outside heat plus a broken fan will wreak any ESC. When the over temp goes off it relies on the fan to cool it back down, if the fan don't work it can't cool down. It's just like getting it to over temperature mode and shutting it off not allowing time to cool, that metal just keeps soaking up the heat. I just got in the habit of checking the fan often, it's too easy keeping a few extra fans around.
    de oppresso liber

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got all parts ordered.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Should be together in a week or so

RC Racer
    What did you order for a ESC and motor?
    What transmitter/receiver are you using?
    de oppresso liber

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA7224 View Post
    What did you order for a ESC and motor?
    What transmitter/receiver are you using?
    HW Max5. Carbon plate to mount it in the chassis. Leopard 5898 1100kv, 22 and 29 tooth pinions. Kershaw motor mount. Futaba 3pv and the R304SB. I've got XT150's on the way. The castle motor shroud, with Yeah racing 30x30 tornado fans. Clear body, stock body mounts. I got the Proline Badlands for wheels and tires

HW Max5. Carbon plate to mount it in the chassis. Leopard 5898 1100kv, 22 and 29 tooth pinions. Kershaw motor mount. Futaba 3pv and the R304SB. I've got XT150's on the way. The castle motor shroud, with Yeah racing 30x30 tornado fans. Clear body, stock body mounts. I got the Proline Badlands for wheels and tires
    Cant wait to see it done. Gotta post vids of running it too.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

I will be great to see when you are finished Grip. I have decided against my conversion plan of the LST2. I watched a vid the other day and it sure looked like more trouble than whats its worth.....So to say, there is a hint in here somewhere.
    Choose Life !!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast