RC poster

Slash 2WD VXL w/ TSM Upgrades

Hello, I recently ordered the new slash 2wd vxl tsm (hawaiian/Courtney force edition), and was wondering what upgrades I could add to it, in order to improve performance, also any suggestions on lipo batteries would be appreciated, thank you.

RC Enthusiast
    Proline Shcoks and stock up on tires.

RC Qualifier
    Are you using your truck for off-road or onroad? I think that you will notice biggest difference with upgraded tires. Ofc for off-road. Stock ones have decent grip on asphalt.
    Lots of people here do not advice to use 3s with stock brushless setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums!!!!

You are going to get a lot of advise on parts to throw on to your truck, some are good, a lot, not good. Recommend just getting a couple of packs and a good charger, and have fun with your truck. Between a good amount of wheel time and research you will figure out what upgrades you want to make to your truck.

Batteries... A lot of people like SMC batteries (direct ordering), their prices are really good and have never heard a complaint about them. Make sure your ESC is in the right mode for the batteries you are using, RED is for NiMH, GREEN is for lipo.

Chargers... There are lots to choose from, recommend getting a good multi-pack charger that can charge different types of packs, and has multiple charge/discharge modes.

You will hear a lot of suggestions about upgrading shocks. Simply, most people do not take the time to tune the shocks it came with, and think spending a lot on a new set of shocks that they don't bother to tune with make a difference in handling, they won't. Ultra Shocks (stock) are actually pretty good if you learn how to tune them. Their biggest weakness are the plastic shock caps, they deform under load, lose contact with the threads and end up popping off. If you are not doing that much jumping it really isn't that big of a problem, but if you do plan on jumping, recommend getting a set of aluminum shock caps.

While you have the caps off, recommend changing out the oil to 40wt. The stock oil (30wt) is ok, but allows a lot of chassis roll and the chassis to slap coming off of jumps.

If you don't have a temp gun, recommend getting one. You don't need anything fancy, the $10 temp gun from Harbor Freight will do just fine. Whenever you make changes to your drive train it is a good idea to check motor temps (<160*/f). With that, quality hand tools save a lot of frustration.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    @Greatscott
    Are you using 40wt shock oill for all four shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    @Greatscott
    Are you using 40wt shock oill for all four shocks?

Thatís my baseline starting point, then tune from there. When I raced my Slash I found 45wt in front and 40wt in the back worked best with that truck, but that was with the Proline chassis and suspension.

Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Thanks