Thread: Velineon motor?

RC poster

Velineon motor?

Hey forum. I'm new to the hobby and started out with a rustler xl5. It didn't take long for the mod bug to hit. After running 2s lipo and testing out the optional 28/86 gearing, my t12 motor was toast. I upgraded to the velineon motor/esc system which is ridiculous compared to the t12 brushed.

My question is about the velineon motor. When rotating the shaft with my fingers, it is not a smooth rotation. It feels more like it rotates in sections or notches and isn't just a smooth rotation like the brushed t12 was. Is this normal behavior of a brushless motor?

RC Racer
    Yes it is normal. That is because the rotor is surrounded in electromagnets and every time you feel that pull if you will, it is just the rotor switching to different magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by MySlashROCKS View Post
    Yes it is normal. That is because the rotor is surrounded in electromagnets and every time you feel that pull if you will, it is just the rotor switching to different magnets.
    Yup...

The notches in the rotation should be nice and smooth. If the rotation feels "grainy", difficult to rotate, or inconsistent, you likely have something wrong with the motor, and odds are its the bearings.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Yep the VXL in the rusty is a 3 pole motor. should turn fairly easy. Go to a 4 pole and it gets harder to turn... All normal stuff..
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Yep the VXL in the rusty is a 3 pole motor. should turn fairly easy. Go to a 4 pole and it gets harder to turn... All normal stuff..
    Its a 4 pole motor and the old vxl system was a 2 pole motor.
    Rustler VXL/ Merv (sold)/ Q32/ Ambush/ Kraton