RC Enthusiast

Simple Traxxas Link question

Hi, I just ordered the Traxxas Link module so I have not tried it yet (can't wait to get it!) and I was wondering if I install the module on the radio, then adjust the settings in the "drive effects" on the app, and then remove the module from the radio, will the settings stay or will those settings be lost?

RC Racer
    It should. Mine doesn’t change at least.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by legweg View Post
    Hi, I just ordered the Traxxas Link module so I have not tried it yet (can't wait to get it!) and I was wondering if I install the module on the radio, then adjust the settings in the "drive effects" on the app, and then remove the module from the radio, will the settings stay or will those settings be lost?
    Hi, I have one that I swap between 2 controllers as I've fitted TSM receivers in two cars. It works fine but I've noticed that sometimes when I switch back and forth, TSM is sometimes deactivated in the car where I removed the module from the controller. I think I'll just get a second module now.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TLXtreme View Post
    It should. Mine doesn’t change at least.
    Nice! Good to know

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by willywils View Post
    Hi, I have one that I swap between 2 controllers as I've fitted TSM receivers in two cars. It works fine but I've noticed that sometimes when I switch back and forth, TSM is sometimes deactivated in the car where I removed the module from the controller. I think I'll just get a second module now.

Or bind one controller to those 2 vehicles, I have read that it can be done... I will try this when I receive my order

RC Enthusiast
    Or bind one controller to those 2 vehicles, I have read that it can be done... I will try this when I receive my order
    Ah yeah! I might try that too!

All information is actually kept in your transmitter. The app only reads it, if I
    remember correctly, I've deleted and reinstalled a number of times. I've also
    used my module in my sons transmitter to change his settings and then back
    to mine with no problems. I've also let others use my module for updates.
    Last edited by Rich2; 02-07-2018 at 10:54 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Great! Thank you

RC Qualifier
    The TQi transmitter has a 30 model memory. so far I have 4 cars bound to one tx. Saves on batteries!

If you remove the bluetooth module, the tx itself should retain the memory settings, which you can change with that convoluted menu tree...which is why the app/module is great.

But heads up....if using an android device, the telemetry might not work. Off my Samsung phone, everything works except telemetry...bummer. Seems to be a common known issue.

RC Enthusiast
    Got the traxxas link module today, was so exited to try it!

Then disappointment, it's not working. It wont' pair with my phone, and won't pair with my tablet. Tried both my TRX-4 and Slash transmitters, nothing, it just won't connect...

Sent email to Traxxas support, waiting for a response...
    Last edited by legweg; 02-09-2018 at 03:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Got the traxxas link module today, was so exited to try it!

Then disappointment, it's not working. It wont' pair with my phone, and won't pair with my tablet. Tried both my TRX-4 and Slash transmitters, nothing, it just won't connect...

Sent email to Traxxas support, waiting for a response...
    What phone are you using? Even with a tablet.....it should work.

Did you go into the app menu and select "Link Transmitter" ?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I did, I did exactly as described in the instructions, I also watched the Traxxas video on YouTube about how to pair traxxas link with transmitter...

The phone is a HTC android 4.4.2

The tablet is a Samsung android 5.0.2

RC Enthusiast
    I also did reboot both the phone and tablet, uninstall/reinstall the app on both devices, still not working...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah....the app does not like android phones.

Hmmm...does your phone have the latest update? My phone is a Samsung Eclipse J3 and everything works except for telemetry. You should at least have the tx talking to your phone.

I'll throw some stuff at the wall blindly...just spitballin here:

-check your phone for any updates to it's IOS

- You have bluetooth enabled on your phone when pairing?

- do you have a Traxxas vehicle powered up and connected to the tx when trying to pair? That might help...

- after turning on the tx and pushing the bluetooth power button....maybe go into your phone's bluetooth menu and try to recognize/pair from the phone? maybe you need the phone to recognize the module and not the other way around. I guess you would have to get out of the app to do that though.

- being also connected to wifi helps IMO on first initialization. I have transmitted an update to each ESC thru the phone.

RC Enthusiast
    Just looked at the updates on both devices and they are up to date. They are old, but the traxxas link android requirements are 4.4 and up, so it should bo good.

Bluetooth is enabled and I can see TQI BLE in the bluetooth menu when the TX is on. When trying to pair from the phone it asks for a password (says to try 0000 or 1234, tried both, doesn't work)

I also tried with with the truck powered up and ready to go, no luck there either...

Both devices are connected to wifi

Thank you for the help BTW I appreciate it

RC Qualifier
    It was worth a try....

I have read most problems are with older Android phones that were recently updated.

I have read of people sending the module to Traxxas for reflashing...with mixed success.

Sucks to think you have to buy a new iphone just to run an RC car app.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, disappointing and frustrating...

RC Enthusiast
    I sent an email to Traxxas support, will see what they have to say about this...

RC Champion
    Not sure if it matters and i haven't seen it mentioned in your thread but my phone always asks me to turn on my location maybe you don't need to just thought i would mention this if it's relevant i don't know.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah location is on on both devices, thank you fol the help!

So this morning I tried again to make this thing work. I tried (again...) to link the phone to the tx directly from the Bluetooth menu on my phone, as I said earlier, is asks for a password (4 digit pin number) so as I did yesterday, I tried 0000, 1234, 1111, over and over and it suddenly did pair with the TX, but it still wouldn't pair with the app, tried 3 or 4 times (did the same thing every time) and it finally did show up that beautiful, heavenly, awesome "connected" screen!

So then it prompted me to de a firmware update for the TX, which I did, then powered up my TRX-4, prompted me to do a firmware update to the TRX-4 tsm receiver, which I did, and it works perfectly, and now as soon as I turn on the receiver and the app on my phone it pairs automatically. Then, I removed the link module from my TRX-4 tx and installed it on my Slash 4x4 tx, turned on the tx and the app and it connected immediately , asked me to do a firmware update to the tx but something happened and the firmware update failed, so now the green light on the tx won't turn on, but it does link with the app!

????

So then I turned off everything, bound the Slash to the TRX-4 tx, installed the link module back on the TRX-4 tx, and turned everything back on. It prompted me to do a firmware update to the Slash's receiver, even though I was now sweating and shaking, I did it, and it worked! Great!, so now both vehicles are paired and linked to my TRX-4 transmitter and everything works!

Yay!!!!

Still wondering if there's something I can do to fix the Slash transmitter...

RC Qualifier
    Congrats! Glad it worked out! For the time being, just go with the tx that works. My guess is there might be a memory conflict with the app. Once it binds to one tx, binding to another might confuse it? Who knows with these things....

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Joe View Post
    For the time being, just go with the tx that works
    Yes that's was the plan from the begining lol

I just thought I'd try with the other tx too, oh well...

Just so glad this did not happen with the TRX-4 tx, that's the one I needed to work!

RC Enthusiast
    Bound my radio to two cars. Works great! If I switch between them in the same session, it can take a couple of goes before it works. A radio can link upto 30 cars apparently.