RC Racer

It looks like the real thing, so why not make it sound like the real thing!?

What happened to OBA (On-Board Audio)!? It's clear that Traxxas put a lot of effort into detailing this truck (i.e., oil containers, fire extinguishers, etc.) which is great attention to detail to add to the truck's realism. I love it! So why did Traxxas ignore a detail they already have on the Slash or could have been upgraded? The OBA making the realistic 900hp sound? This is a great detail and they left it off this truck. Doesn't make sense to me. When driving, you're not going to notice the fire extinguishers as much as you will hear this vehicle.

A wonder too if that battery cover on the bottom will eventually be an issue and come off when it bottoms out or rubs against something. Hopefully not.

I'm guessing Traxxas is joining the iPhone mentality where they string you along with a new product and then release upgraded versions later down the road to grab more money. Like the X-Maxx, first release the 6S truck and then later release the 8S version. Oh wait, maybe that's why it's not being released with OBA!? It will be later and more money down the road!

RC Enthusiast
    the oba speakers needs to mount to the body. the way traxxas designed the truck there is no way to mount it. if you really want the sound pick up one of the team assoc. ones or i think a couple of other manufactures make an all in one unit you can pick up cheap. as far as the x-maxx, traxxas listened to their customers. they even offered an upgrade kit for people with the 6s truck.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-07-2018 at 10:25 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAWN213 View Post
    the oba speakers needs to mount to the body. the way traxxas designed the truck there is no way to mount it. if you really want the sound pick up one of the team ***. ones or i think a couple of other manufactures make an all in one unit you can pick up cheap. as far as the x-maxx, traxxas listened to their customers. they even offered an upgrade kit for people with the 6s truck.
    True, one could fit an aftermarket OBA but since Traxxas designed this brand new...couldn't they have simply designed an OBA system for it? Different from the Slash since that is model specific or even similar. Like I said...it looks like a lot of detail went into this truck. Why not have it sound as good as it looks?

So if customers asked for 8S, again...why not start with this for the UDR? Or at least start with both options 6S and 8S?

Maybe someday we can all be as successful as Traxxas is with their marketing. Until then, I think I’ll let them handle how vehicles should be sold. As for OBA, an awful lot of buyers express a disinterest or worse, a dislike of it. Why should everyone have to pay for something not everyone wants?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Racer
    I know im glad it didnt come with it.
    Was checking out the latest versions of the Slash Ultimate, and saw it had OBA on it.

RC Qualifier
    Something like sound I'd like to have that be an optional buy...or the truck would cost maybe $900+.

Some things should be included...(like tail lights on the Ford GT 4tec body! Lol)

But a sound system I can see being left as an optional add on item.

Mr RC Sound systems offer RC truck sounds if you wanted to rig one up.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Joe View Post
    ...Some things should be included...(like tail lights on the Ford GT 4tec body! Lol)...
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-08-2018 at 12:34 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas didn't have major sales of vehicles with OBA. If they are not selling that many, no reason to include it. Now, having it as an add on accessory would be the best for both.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    Traxxas didn't have major sales of vehicles with OBA. If they are not selling that many, no reason to include it. Now, having it as an add on accessory would be the best for both.
    How do you know Traxxas didn’t have “major” sales?

RC Qualifier
    My friend got a slash with OBA, and while it's cool at first......it does kinda wear off after a while.

Good as an option, but not as standard equipment. IMHO.

RC Enthusiast
    I really don't care about the realism of sound and don't care for OBA. I actually prefer the electric sound. Also, the sound of nitro engines is very annoying to me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsvancouver View Post
    How do you know Traxxas didn’t have “major” sales?

Because they talked about it. Traxxas talked about their OBA, along with other things obviously, during their last RC show in Vegas. People were asking about an OBA X-Maxx and that is how the conversation started. They said " We do not see enough demand of OBA to manufacture it on every vehicle". Traxxas outsells OBA Slash 4x4s with non OBA Slash 4x4s, roughly 10:1.

Traxxas came out with OBA in July, I think, of 2015 for the Slash. There is a reason OBA is Limited to the Slash, as well as no Accessories kit to add it to a Slash, as of yet. Who knows what Traxxas has planned in the future, just telling you a reason why it isn't on other vehicles currently.
    Last edited by BadAssRC; 02-10-2018 at 05:20 AM.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Qualifier
    Half of the appeal of running electric trucks is running them and the whole neighborhood not knowing it. The quiet operation is a great feature. adding noise is simply that....adding noise.

It looks like the real thing, so why not make it sound like the real thing!?

This ^^^
    ...Neighbors, neighbors’ pets, police, park rangers, busybodies, anyone with an axe to grind, and haters in general... all key in on the noise especially and sometimes the smoke and shut you down. With electric you are not noticed or considered “not hurting anything” which typically means not specifically bothering any of the above bystanders. Now if you WANT the attention, gas or nitro makes it easier to get. But you have to take the bad with the good.
    While I don’t think most will find the OBA as intrusive on their ears as gas or nitro, you still may/will offend some. The good part about it is that you can simply turn it off.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-10-2018 at 10:32 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    This ^^^
    ...Neighbors, neighbors’ pets, police, park rangers, busybodies, anyone with an axe to grind, and haters in general... all key in on the noise especially and sometimes the smoke and shut you down. With electric you are not noticed or considered “not hurting anything” which typically means not specifically bothering any of the above bystanders. Now if you WANT the attention, gas or nitro makes it easier to get. But you have to take the bad with the good.
    While I don’t think most will find the OBA as intrusive on their ears as gas or nitro, you still may/will offend some. The good part about it is that you can simply turn it off.
    Good points you make. I also fly airplanes and helis, all electric. I'm a member of an RC flying club and there is nothing more annoying than someone running up their nitro airplane in the pits. I wish there were electric-only RC flying clubs available. I'll admit, I'm a nitro hater.

The nearest flying club to me is all-electric. So are all of my planes.

RC Qualifier

Thumbs up

Most people in my club switched to electric....the rest have switched from nitro to gas, as gas is much more reliable. Some fly beautiful sounding radial engines which is music to me. Club pres. has a real turbine jet which you cannot carry a conversation over when he's throttling up....lol.

Then again, I'll be there on a weekday and have the whole field to myself, so after a few hours alone, it's cool when someone else rolls up. I have a good club I belong to....field is small, but we have a synth runway.

I started with nitro planes, and hated having to tune an engine with the prop 2 inches from my fingers. I program a throttle hold switch for all my electric planes, and have about 8 metal boxes stuffed with about every size lipo they make.

Some of my planes...

My trucks....

My tanks...Heng Longs...$100 Each and theyshoot BB's and Exhaust smoke