Thread: Max5 and???

RC Competitor

Max5 and???

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a max5 setup an looking for opinions from actual users between the 58113 1050kv and the 5892 1200kv. Will be running 8s exclusively. Looking for more speed and torque. Not looking to do speed runs or pulling the kids around the neighborhood through the grass in a wagon. Just want more speed, wheelies on command, and a standing backflip now and again would be a nice plus. Main concern is temps and reliability. New to the x maxx and 1/5 scale altogether so looking for advice. Few years back when I had my (dare I say) savage flux I put carbon fiber xl length tvps, tekin rx8 with a 2050kv and 6s and had all that I listed above. Is this possible with the x maxx? Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.......

RC Competitor
    Really? Nobody’s got nothing? Thought I’d start a thread instead of jacking someone else’s or bringing back an old one but I guess that’s the only option

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm in the same boat. I've heard the 1340kv is silly fast, as in too fast. Maybe with gearing you can make it controllable. The 1100 kv 5897 is a beast and I believe you'd have more gearing options. That's where I'm leaning now. The 110 mm cans are too long for me. The TP motors are awesome but amp hogs. There's just too many variables to make this easy.

RC Competitor
    Do you mean 5897 or 5898?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    98. My bad

RC Competitor
    I know I don’t need a max5. I don’t need a max6 either really. Truck runs fine so far stock. I am just another guy who always wants more and can never leave anything alone. Plus half the fun in this for me is the wrenching and putting things together and making them work that were never meant to go together.

RC poster
    Did you decide on a motor yet?

RC Competitor
    Went with leopard 5898 1100kv. Waiting on motor mount and pinion from Kershaw. Should be here Tuesday

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleSix View Post
    Went with leopard 5898 1100kv. Waiting on motor mount and pinion from Kershaw. Should be here Tuesday
    You will like the motor. I switched from the 5898 to the 58110/ 950kv - no reason, just wanted the bigger motor. Having said that, it was uncontrollably fast, but i had also upgraded from the Xmaxx 6s.

RC Competitor
    Question for the guys running big pinions and spurs. Just got my kershaw mount and 29t pinion. Will be starting with 29/54. What are you guys doing for the rear gear cover since it obviously doesn’t fit now? Would like to do something to keep as much crap out of the gears as possible.

RC Racer
    Throw it and run without.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by painter View Post
    Throw it and run without.
    I guess, but one little rock and $$$

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm having the same issue. By the time you trim it to fit, there's not much cover left.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleSix View Post
    Question for the guys running big pinions and spurs. Just got my kershaw mount and 29t pinion. Will be starting with 29/54. What are you guys doing for the rear gear cover since it obviously doesn’t fit now? Would like to do something to keep as much crap out of the gears as possible.
    I used the stock cover, but use two aluminum spacers and longer screws, as to clear the pinion. Literally did nothing else, but i still wish i could find a cover that actually covers this area completely. With the spacers it fits, but it's not sealed, and so dirt and water to make their way into this part of the truck which i have noticed is bad. If water gets down there, and it will, so will dirt, it's just matter of time before a bearing let's go. And unless you tear down the truck after each run, you will run into problems caused by excess dirt and moisture getting into the lower portion of the drive train.

This is my only gripe with going to a bigger motor; wish traxxas made the cover more accommodating to varying pinion sizes.
    Last edited by SHIFTT IX MR; 02-21-2018 at 12:39 PM.

RC Competitor
    I did find one that someone made on a 3d printer for $45 but its from israel. Not sure how I feel about that.