Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Wink Summit 1/10 being Discontinued?

Now I don't normally believe alot of what I read but I can't understand why I'm hearing that the summit will be discountinued? Anyone able to shine some light on this?
    I'm not trying to start any arguments I'm just trying to understand where people get that type of information? Heard this from Facebook a few times and other forums.
    I mean they released the 2.0 erevo which seems like a it would of been the same idea for the summit.
    Traxxas 1/10 Summit, TRX4 Tactical
    -Marc Gill

RC Racer
    Smile on thread topic area was not meant to be there. I'll try to edit it on my PC when I get more time.
    -Marc Gill

From what I can tell right now, it looks like it yes. My money is on a future Summit 2.0 but it's nothing that's been confirmed or anything yet though.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Racer
    Ummmm thanks for the reply Wolfslash16
    -Marc Gill

Hard telling since they built the dedicated crawler.

Which is too bad. My tastes vary in rc but the Summits always been one of my favorite. Such a versatile rig!

With the new erevo 2.0 and the TRX4, I also think the summits days are numbered.
    But they are probably just making space for the Summit 2.0 based off the Erevo chassis.

The erevo 2.0 looks very much like the erevo just with a beefed up drive train. So if a summit 2.0 comes out we can expect the same similiar chassis with a beefed up drive train (I hope they dont just drop in the smaller TRX-4 locking diffs). With a different lid and lights.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Say it's not so. Really hope they don't throw it in the discontuinued section. Love my summit. If they do discontinue the summit wonder how hard parts will be to get, traxxas parts that is

Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    Say it's not so. Really hope they don't throw it in the discontuinued section. Love my summit. If they do discontinue the summit wonder how hard parts will be to get, traxxas parts that is

Not hard, the summit is 90% erevo. And every hobby shop has tmaxx and erevo / revo parts.

But if you happen to run across some cheap summit diff locks I'd grab em for a rainy day.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    I agree parts will be around with the fact it's v1 erevo based.
    -Marc Gill

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    With the new erevo 2.0 and the TRX4, I also think the summits days are numbered.
    But they are probably just making space for the Summit 2.0 based off the Erevo chassis.

The erevo 2.0 looks very much like the erevo just with a beefed up drive train. So if a summit 2.0 comes out we can expect the same similiar chassis with a beefed up drive train (I hope they dont just drop in the smaller TRX-4 locking diffs). With a different lid and lights.
    TRX 4 diff Setup holds great with anything 2.2 inch tire and smaller. It be a down grade I believe if they used TRX 4 diffs in a summits. Also the summit is my favorite go to rig. That being said a rig I dislike the most for maintenance and teardown as I'm going to rebuild mine. starting with good bearings.
    Last edited by Schs2013; 02-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    -Marc Gill

RC Enthusiast
    No way! I have had my summit since 2011. Just now need to replace a couple of things on it. Still has the stock original motor in it. It is sad if Traxxas decides to do so. Does this mean I have to buy a new summit 2.0!? Please tell me I am wrong!

RC Enthusiast
    I am not hating on Traxxas but IMO it always seems like Traxxas comes out with a new r/c and then Traxxas makes or turns the new product into something 10x better. I know the company wants to see if the new product will sell or is a homerun first but in the R&D department seems like Traxxas waits way too long to fix issues or improve the new product being produced. Just look at the xmaxx. First 6s then whammo 8s! I just don't understand it. Also , I own a 2WD raptor and the fullsize original summit and I love them both! Just my 2 cents.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by davis1979 View Post
    I am not hating on Traxxas but IMO it always seems like Traxxas comes out with a new r/c and then Traxxas makes or turns the new product into something 10x better. I know the company wants to see if the new product will sell or is a homerun first but in the R&D department seems like Traxxas waits way too long to fix issues or improve the new product being produced. Just look at the xmaxx. First 6s then whammo 8s! I just don't understand it. Also , I own a 2WD raptor and the fullsize original summit and I love them both! Just my 2 cents.
    I agree on the waiting/holding out long as It is to long for this guy to wait.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
    -Marc Gill

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered a Summit, but they're a bit hard to come by. I originally had a backorder placed with one vendor, but the arrival date kept slipping and slipping, so I did another search today, and a vendor I hadn't seen before came up with a few in stock.

When I called the new vendor to make sure it was really in stock, they claimed that they had just gotten a few delivered on Friday. (Granted, I can't independently verify this.) They claimed the reason I hadn't found them previously is that they just came back in stock. So if anything, Traxxas is trickling them out to vendors.

So based on that, I'm going to add some speculation... I wonder if Traxxas is testing the waters to see what the demand for a new Summit is. But I guess the conclusions you can draw from that are many. They could be trying to find the right amount of production for an old product... or they could be winding down the model to discontinue it, or to announce a new version of it... I guess it could be anything at this point! (And Q1 2018 ends soon, so maybe something will change one way or the other April 1st.)

I’m worried that since they’re keeping the Trx4 design fresh with different bodies, etc. that the writings on the wall?

Hope I’m wrong.

RC Racer
    All I want is a BiggerXXXXXL SUMMIT!!!!!
    The chassis is outdated.

Anything newer & Larger/BIGGER is
    better then nothing!!!!

RC poster
    a summit 2.0 could look like a large scale trx4. that would be pretty cool imo.

RC Racer
    The trx-4 is too small for my FPV usage.
    Once out 1/2mile out, I don't want to worry about
    that little truck flipping over from schrubs....etc.
    The larger the truck and greater suspension articulation, the better for us...lol

We need a 2.0 SUMMIT!

C'MON TRAXXAS, make it happen, Summer is here!!!!!

Rumor has it that there's a few 2.0 versions of exsisting platforms coming out this year, hopefully the Summit is one of them.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Qualifier
    Already have a summit. But for the lively hood of the summit hoping to see a new version of it.

Traxxas REALLY believes in creating multiple trucks /products from a single chassis. So Im pretty sure that the summit 2.0 would be the Erevo 2.0 with a 2 speed tranny, locking diffs, larger tires and a killer truck body.

BUT WHAT IF TRAXXAS THREW US A CURVE

An X-MAXX with locking Diffs and a 2 speed tranny!!!!

AHHHHHHHH
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Think about it. The Erevo 2.o has the new and enlarged axle trusses to house the bigger and stronger xmaxx diffs, and the summit usually copies the erevo. How hard would it be to reverse engineer and design a different diferential housing for the XMAXX to house a locking diferential??

If Traxxas does make an erevo /summit 2.O with big (Xmaxx copied) locking diffs I bet there's at least ONE guy who could design and 3D print a Diff housing to throw the big locking diff back into an xmaxx chassis

MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Champion
    Sounds like a great idea but so far I haven't seen anyone who owns both an erevo 2.0 and 8s xmaxx pull the diffs and do a side by side comparison. Do these platforms share the same diffs?
    I have an RC problem...

Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    Sounds like a great idea but so far I haven't seen anyone who owns both an erevo 2.0 and 8s xmaxx pull the diffs and do a side by side comparison. Do these platforms share the same diffs?
    I havent seen them personally but the erevo 2.0 is advertised as having the xmaxx over sized diffs. But ill hunt for an actual photo.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

How many times do you need to be told that they aren’t the same diffs? We went through this in February. Please stop suggesting otherwise. After all, you acknowledged this fact back then!
    Understood they are not the same - hopefully they are at least as strong and will match and even exceed the 1/8 scale diff options. Cheers!
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

I havent seen them personally but the erevo 2.0 is advertised as having the xmaxx over sized diffs. But ill hunt for an actual photo.

After some research on the erevo boards, the erevo diffs are COPIED after the xmaxx diffs. But they are not the same.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    I have 3 Summits set up in various configurations. I also own a bunch of other RC's. Without a doubt the Summit is the best. It can do it all! Everywhere I travel I take one with me in hopes of finding a good spot to bash, crawl and trail. On each excursion it just continues to amaze me what this truck can do. Not only that, but having run them for years now I have learned how far you can push them and what there strengths and weaknesses are. By far the Summit is the most dependable and durable of my collection. So, please Traxxas, give us a Summit 2.0!

RC Racer
    ^
    I agree with statement above!!!!
    2.0 SUMMIT please.

RC Racer
    I see that the Traxxas website shows the Summit is back in stock. That's cool.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    That's very cool! And it looks like a few other places received stock too. I don't need another Summit right now but I agree that it would be great to see a refresh! Upgraded diffs would be great. When I broke my axles and considered going with steel ones, the guy at my LHS advised against it saying "it's much better to break axles than diffs, and if you go steel axles, then your going to kill your diffs."

RC Qualifier
    Oh this is great news. Although my summit has taken a back seat lately to the new trucks I got currently. Need to bring it back out again, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    Thats NOT cool. This means that there is no Summit 2.0 coming out soon.

Unless they have a LOT of old stock summits to unload first.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm really wanting a 10th scale Summit. Can't find one anywhere.

I'll wait and see what happens over the next six months. I would love a Summitt 2.0 under the Christmas tree!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    If you really can't wait, it looks like these guys have one in green (and a few other colors if you search around):

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...4grn/overview/

(And I swear I'm not a shill for these guys - it just happens to be a place I've seen them in stock before.)

RC poster
    Its official the Summit is discontinued everywhere that i have check. Good thing I found one and got it from cragslist

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGears View Post
    Its official the Summit is discontinued everywhere that i have check. Good thing I found one and got it from cragslist
    RC models are frequently listed as discontinued for reasons other than being dropped from a manufacturer’s lineup. Revisions to ESC or radio have been reasons on the recent past. Then the updated model is introduced and there is a mass exhale. I would not read too much into vendors’ listing of any model as “discontinued.”

RC Qualifier
    Nope say its not so. Till traxxas says its discontinued than I'll believe it

That being said, is it reasonable that the Summit would remained unchanged and continue to use the original chassis when the truck that shared its platform has been so thoroughly updated?
    I don’t know.

Anything listed on this page is a current production vehicle. https://traxxas.com/support/by-product Once it's gone from there it is no longer a current production vehicle.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    Anything listed on this page is a current production vehicle. https://traxxas.com/support/by-product Once it's gone from there it is no longer a current production vehicle.
    No offense Big Chik, but my beloved 1/10 erevo nor the Trx-4 are included on this list.
    There has to, I say, there has to have beeen some oversight? ?
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-22-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast