Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Options

RC Qualifier

Tire Options

I picked up my car from the hobby shop yesterday and smashed a pack through the stock system. while it is super fun, it seems like it needs more grip on the concrete street i was driving on. I upgraded the motor/esc over night, so i'm pretty sure my stock tires will be slicks soon... i peeped around some touring car forums, and what a lot of people like are the
    HPI X-Pattern, but i saw these and wondered if they would be any good.
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/ride-v2...77542?v=541712

probably going to be lots of trial-n-error on this, but lucky the tires on not expensive per set. some are though...

dont the front and rear tires have different offset on the gt?
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

RC Qualifier
    they are different thickness, but i'm not sure about offset. i would be fine is my fronts were a little thicker to be the same as the rear, even if it sticks out of the body a little. i plan on changing the body soon anyway.
    i bought a set of cheap ebay tires to test out. but i think i might stop by the track this weekend and just test-fit other people wheels to see what might work...

I tried on some different wheels I had laying around from my nitro 4 tec and ran into problems with the caliper hitting the webbing on the inside of the wheel. My gold wheels still fit with the calipers on. Here is a pic of the webbing.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

Found a set of these rally tires in my box of failures. I bought them thinking they were much larger. They fit great, but the rear could use some offset. They just barely clear the body.

RC Qualifier
    the new tires worked out pretty good today on pavement. i want to say better than stock, but i am not really sure. it still slides around alot, but it seemed to lift the front end more when i punch it from a stop.
    I also seem to be getting the motor pretty hot. even with a fan, it was too hot to touch for more than a second. my temp gun is on loan to a buddy, so i need to buy a new one.
    i think i will end up looking for a 2400 sensored motor soon, so i can run 3s and not have the heat drama...

RC Qualifier
    i popped my tires off today and it looks like the rims have some slight rubbing on the brake caliper. hopefully some 3mm offset rims or 6mm offset rims will work better when they come in...

RC Champion
    Traxxas does offer some 2mm-2.5mm hex spacers that came about with the original 4-Tecs that might help there. Can't remember what the part number is at the moment though.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Qualifier
    I stopped by the track/hobby shop across town and found these wheels...

They are a perfect fit. I think they go to a vaterra or something. It was the only rubber tire they had. All else was foam.

30mm rear width, 26mm front.

Got my new body liquid masked and hopefully get to paint it Sunday. Darn mask is taking forever to dry!!!

RC Champion
    Those look like the wheels off the C10 Pickup version of the V100 sedan, which has the same caliper rub issues that the 4-Tec 2.0 has. I actually picked up a set of those early 4-Tec spacers for the second hand V100 I was going to build into a 70's Mountain Racer inspired (similar idea as Japanese Touge racing, but was in the mountains of Malibu, CA) VTA car with the Vaterra '69 Stingray body, HPI 8 spoke Minilite clones, and one of Dynamite's Tazer Twin all in one Motor/ESC units. I was wanting to build some thing fast, but not stupid fast to have fun with out of it, and plan on doing this with the new 4-Tec too, but that will be more of a ProTouring vibe with the J71and stock rt wheel set.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Qualifier
    How do those wheels handle compared to the stock ones?
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Qualifier
    I have not had a chance to try them. But I did discover that the rear are not as offset as the stock. So they looked funny on my new body.
    But here are the stock wheels with my newly painted mustang. Far from a perfect paint job but still works... Got my sticker sheet printed up at work, so Monday I can post up the final product...

Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    the new tires worked out pretty good today on pavement. i want to say better than stock, but i am not really sure. it still slides around alot, but it seemed to lift the front end more when i punch it from a stop.
    I also seem to be getting the motor pretty hot. even with a fan, it was too hot to touch for more than a second. my temp gun is on loan to a buddy, so i need to buy a new one.
    i think i will end up looking for a 2400 sensored motor soon, so i can run 3s and not have the heat drama...
    Is there room in these things for a 70mm long motor and esc? I've been looking at these and I have a 2400kv laying around but I'm unsure if there's room for it. What about gearing? I assume 48p? Any upgrades to 32p possible? Thanks!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    32p is possible but you gotta use a slash 2wd clutch and dremel off the fins. somebody crammed a 2650kv in this thing, so i'm sure you can fit the 2400. that it my plan too...
    here is the video where they mod the spur:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lL7RHYOtA

there is room, but you will need to figure out where to put the esc.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    How do those wheels handle compared to the stock ones?
    I finally had a chance to test out the Vaterra wheels. boy-howdie! i would say significantly better than stock. i had to ditch the disk brakes and calipers to get the right width in the back. i ended up using the hexes from my 2wd slash. the thick one in the back, and the thin one in the front. It's still not quite the width i want, but i got some wider hexes coming.

as for the grip... much much better. i had a hard time getting it to power slide or drift. on a concrete parking lot i could even hear the tires squealing on hard turns. very much impressed.
    on the down side i could tell that they are wearing much faster. the inside of my body is full of black powdered rubber.

RC Qualifier
    What hexs did you get? I might look into these for me. Not sure if I want rubber or foam yet.

RC Qualifier
    Integy sells clamping hexes of various thicknesses. on their website there is a Drift Car/TC Accsesories page. i got some 9mm and 6mm. they also sell some sweet 33mm/35mm brake disks, but they are not offset so would probably only work with the stock tires. i am having a hard time finding rims that work for the back. 26mm, zero offset rims are everywhere, but 30mm or 31mm, i can only find the HPI VTA rims. i like rubber over foams since i run on all sorts of rough concrete and the foams would get chewed up.
    i like having wider wheels in the back, but these Vaterra ones are the only other ones that i could find. i have two wicked sets of aluminium rims, but they are all the same offset, and all 26mm. so once i get some tires to mount on them, we shall see how they work...

RC Qualifier
    Won't the wider hexs keep the wheel nuts from holding the wheel on as well?

RC Qualifier
    That is a concern, but there seems to be a lot of thread to work with, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

RC Competitor

Cool

Threw these on last night:
    Slash 4x4 XMaxx Ford GT TRX-4 UDR

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    Integy sells clamping hexes of various thicknesses. on their website there is a Drift Car/TC Accsesories page. i got some 9mm and 6mm. they also sell some sweet 33mm/35mm brake disks, but they are not offset so would probably only work with the stock tires. i am having a hard time finding rims that work for the back. 26mm, zero offset rims are everywhere, but 30mm or 31mm, i can only find the HPI VTA rims. i like rubber over foams since i run on all sorts of rough concrete and the foams would get chewed up.
    i like having wider wheels in the back, but these Vaterra ones are the only other ones that i could find. i have two wicked sets of aluminium rims, but they are all the same offset, and all 26mm. so once i get some tires to mount on them, we shall see how they work...
    welp... the hexes came in and they do not fit. the hole is not 5mm all the way through, so they do not slide down the axle far enough to engage the pin. i think i can make them work if i drill out the hole, but i don't have a 5mm drill bit.
    i found a few hex options for the slash, so i might try those too.

RC Qualifier
    That sucks they didn't work.

RC Qualifier
    just part of the hobby i guess. if i had a dime for every dollar i wasted on this hobby... i'd probably waste those dimes on something too. but it's really nice when a risk comes out good. i think it was less than $20, and they will likely work once i get a drill bit.

RC Qualifier
    Agreed. Can't tell you how many times I planned something only not to work out

Picked up some contact foams and did a couple runs on the VXL System -3S & Stock Gearing
    Hit 34.7 top speed but these tires bite like crazy on the acceleration and in the turns i was making on the street. Will try the high speed pinion and see how much faster it will go

26mm Fronts
    30mm Rears w/ Traxxas Wide Wheel Adapter as these wheels have 0 offset

42 Shore rating on both.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good. What adapter did you use? When you install the high speed pinion let me know what pin holes you use. I haven't had time to figure it out yet.

TRA 3654 Wheel Adapters for the Rear

Hole G is for the High Speed Pinion 25 T

Its on Page 24 of the online manual.

RC Qualifier
    Didn't realize they released the manual yet. I check about a week ago and it wasn't out yet.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/mad-wa2082.html
    Tested out a set of these tires today...
    Not bad, but still not as good as the vaterra tires. These are super cheap and we're not too bad...

I also switched out the diffs with xo-1 diffs, and filled the front one with marine greace so it is nearly locked but still has some slip. I read on some of the touring car forums that a lot of peeps put a spool in the front for better handling. Hope to test this diff setup on my vaterra tires tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Switched back to the vaterra rims today and they are still my most grippy. I am going to glue my hpi VTA wheels to test those, and I also have some Yeah Racing wheels coming in.

Have you tested out those foams? What's the grip like?

RC Qualifier
    I wonder if and when you can buy just the stock rim that way you can mount any tire without fit issues

RC Qualifier
    eBay has them. Rims without tires. But finding a tire the same width might be tricky. The only 30mm rubber I have found is the hpi vta tire but that only fits their rim.
    My next adventure is going to be working out some adjustable tie rods. I notice the front tires are wearing out the inside edge faster.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey SL4SHGT8BASHER, which Vaterra wheels and tires are you referring to? The stock tires are not going to cut it with a bigger pinion and smaller spur on 3s.

RC Qualifier
    Vtr 43039, 43038. I don't know how well those will work on 3s. I used them on 2s. Contact Foams have been amazing. I use the 17mm offset hex to in the back for the wider tires. It made a world of difference.

RC Qualifier

Here it is with the extended rear width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info.

I like the price of the Contact foams.

RC Qualifier

Here is a pic comparing stock rear width and the extended 30mm wide wheels.
    Yup. Cheap, grip, and they last. After about 4 packs (on the asphalt track I go to) and the diameter is noticeably smaller (3-4mm) and they lose grip. But nearly all rubber tires I tried lasted 1-2 packs before being slick.
    There are so many rim and tire options but none have the offset in the back needed. If they do, it's a set of 4 and the front sticks out.
    The only thing about the extended hex, and this is just being nitpicking but it's a screw and not a bolt. So the front and back have different looks. I might search McMaster Carr for an m3 bolt with a hex head...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    What body are you using SL4SHGT8BASHER? I got my extenders and foams today. With the 17mm extenders the Contact foams stick out of the GT body pretty good, maybe 4 or 5mm. I'll try and get a pic before I head to work tomorrow afternoon.

RC Enthusiast
    Just noticed SL4SHGT8BASHER is in Houston Tx, hope he is doing ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast