RC poster

Mjaadtm's 4-tec 2.0 carpet racer

I have a couple of traxxas vehicle since before and have recently started going to my local race track witch is fun on the wintertime when all snow outside.

I have bringed both a slash 4x4 and a traxxas rally 1/16 and neither handle the high speed racing very well.

I was recomended to buy a pure racecar from diffrent brands but i've had enought with cars that broke all the time and i need to order parts from far away and just wait.

So i did oposit what they said and bought a 4-tec 2.0 traxxas.

I did buy the brushed version and then bought new sensored ecu and motor from *********, 7,5t engine.
    I also bought a bmw m3 body finished and some roar aproved lipos.

The wheels is foam from china.

The first i did to the car when i recived it was to put a adjustable rod from the servo to be able to center the steering. Then i epoxy glued the front diff and removed the spacers from the shocks so the car went as low as possable.

After first try i found out the car was able to compete with the other purely racecar, it handles very well.

But it was very slippery and that was shown very obvius on the long straight.
    I also used the included high speed 25t pinion witch was to low geared.

I have now changed the diff floud in the rear diff from stock 10k to 5k
    I have bought a liqued you can put on the tires for more grip, dont know the english name on it.
    I also did turn up the rear ving on the body for more downforce.
    Then i bought a 28T pinion for it instead of the 25t

I have not yet tryed the car with the new modifications but im exited to see how it compete next time!

Is it anyone els here actually race this cars on the track and do you got any tips and tricks to get the most out of it?

PICTURES:

https://imgur.com/a/en8Na

https://imgur.com/a/RCcbG

https://imgur.com/fd9jlIG

Greets
    Andreas

RC poster
    Nice looking build man !!!

RC poster
    Thanks!

Does anyone know how the size of the 4tec compare to a standard touringcar?
    People say and the specs say its wider but it seems to be just the stock wheel witch got a strange offset? I use a 190mm body right now and it fits perfect.

I see there is marks for sway bars in the chassie, is there sways bars you could buy or is this a future option?

I've notice they've been releasing some harder shock springs for it. Have anyone tryed them and how did the car behaive compare to the stock shock springs?

thanks
    Andreas

RC Competitor
    You are right about the stock wheel offset, they sit much wider than standard wheels, also the back wheels are wider than the see front adding to the width.

I run standard offset contact foams and they sit perfectly inside the wheel arch of both my hpi 200mm bodies.

I also ditched then disks and calipers and fitted standard alloy hex's.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I have seen the sway bar kits on eBay. I have trying to get more people at my local track to race these still no luck yet.

RC poster
    Update:

Was racing the car all day yesterday and it was pure fun!

I Did really compete with the other guys with racebranded cars and that was more then i was hope for when i bouhgt this car!

The foams on the pictures abow did however only last 2 sundays of driving and thats pretty bad so i need to get a new tire thats last abit longer.

I did borrow a round of volante v5 28cp from a guy with a shulmasher mpi5 touringcar. Those tires did bite litle less then the foams but not by much so i dont know it this just was a ****ty foam tire or if i should aim for rubber tires instead.

The same guy did test the 4tec 2.0 and he said the car felt more slippery on the rear then he's shulmasher. But steering and other was pretty simular.

I did as i write abow remove stock diff fluid and now running 5000k instead of 10 000 stock.

But i dont think thats enought, the car still wants to let the rear out when given power.

Next step is so change diff fluid to 2000 - 3000k and find a new set of tires.
    About tires, does anyone have any idea? i've looking at sorex 20 / 24R. This carpet track is pretty old and quite slippery.

The cars gearing still feels abit low.

Got 28pinion 70 spour now with the 7,5T sensored motor.

Was thinking of getting a 62 spour and keep my 28T pinion and try..

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't run mine on carpet yet with a VTA set up. I just finished running a dirt oval series with it in the VTA Class which was a lot of fun. I've installed the Hot Racing motor mount and Hot Racing gear cover. I ran 39t/55T combinations I was mid pack. My fdr with that setup was 4.0. I tried to fit a 40t pinion, but it was an older model pinion and very thick, so it rubbed the gear cover. I think to be competitive in VTA you would have to be at an fdr of 3.5 or 3.6. I don't think a 41T pinion or bigger will fit without modifying the chassis.What is needed is an adapter for 64P gears.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjaadtm View Post
    Update:

Was racing the car all day yesterday and it was pure fun!

I Did really compete with the other guys with racebranded cars and that was more then i was hope for when i bouhgt this car!

The foams on the pictures abow did however only last 2 sundays of driving and thats pretty bad so i need to get a new tire thats last abit longer.

I did borrow a round of volante v5 28cp from a guy with a shulmasher mpi5 touringcar. Those tires did bite litle less then the foams but not by much so i dont know it this just was a ****ty foam tire or if i should aim for rubber tires instead.

The same guy did test the 4tec 2.0 and he said the car felt more slippery on the rear then he's shulmasher. But steering and other was pretty simular.

I did as i write abow remove stock diff fluid and now running 5000k instead of 10 000 stock.

But i dont think thats enought, the car still wants to let the rear out when given power.

Next step is so change diff fluid to 2000 - 3000k and find a new set of tires.
    About tires, does anyone have any idea? i've looking at sorex 20 / 24R. This carpet track is pretty old and quite slippery.

The cars gearing still feels abit low.

Got 28pinion 70 spour now with the 7,5T sensored motor.

Was thinking of getting a 62 spour and keep my 28T pinion and try..
    How does it feel slow? Are you using 2s or 3s?

RC Qualifier
    Traction compounds are said to help allot on foam tires. I have little experience here but from what I hear all the racers use traction compound.
    You may need to look at adjusting your toe and camber settings to see if that can get the traction issues sorted. Many rc cars come with too much toe angle making the grip levels lower, but more agile with better rotation. It will take some adjusting to get it to handle the way that you like to drive.