Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Just Bought a X-Maxx!!

Super excited to go from a Stock Rustler to a 8S X-Maxx, Aside from Kevin Talbot on YouTube's recommended front bulkhead reinforcement with epoxy, and the steering post reinforcements, does anybody got any ideas for strengthening anything else pre first run aside from upgrading to the RPM Wheel Hubs?

Thanks in advance

Rick Hunter

RC Enthusiast
    washers on the body screws and rear bumper. these can be seen in kev's videos. its pretty dang good out of the box. perhaps more charging power lol

RC Qualifier
    Awesome Rick Hunter you'll love the truck. I got mine about a month ago and I love it the only thing I've done to mine is rpm rear hubs, washers on the body, put the front diff in the rear and the rear in the front for better steering, 50wt oil in the shocks, installed the optional high speed spur, removed the pin set up the x maxx uses to set the gear mesh and set mine the old fashioned way with a piece of paper. Other than that you'll be set for endless fun.

RC Enthusiast
    I am very interested in this new to me, information about the X-Maxx. I hope this post isn't deleted too quickly so we can have a massive discussion over my truck out the box guys.

@ gryzor, washers on the body screws?? guess i missed that video, i did just watch the steering servo saver video and that did make sense to me.

@ Nightflier RPM Rear Hubs only or both Front and Rear from RPM? I am Not there yet for switching front and rear diff's, I do agree with old school Paper strip Meshing for the Spur and Pinion. but until its in my hands, I am just building a Fox Hole at this stage lol.

RC Qualifier
    Yes just the rear rpm don't make the fronts yet. I'd say cause not many have broken them yet. As for the rest of the things I mentioned just give me a holler if you have any questions.

RC Enthusiast
    @ Nightflier, kinda what I was thinking as well just the RPM rears for now, As for the Diff switch why? keep the front end on the ground more thus the better steering?

RC Enthusiast
    i havent seen kev actually mention it but you can see in every video there is blue washers on the body screws.

the reason for swapping the diffs is out of the box the rear has thicker diff oil than the front. 50k vs 30k weight i think. putting the thicker in the front helps it grip and "turn-in" better. i havent bothered to do it on my trucks tho

RC Qualifier
    The reason for the diff swap is trx put heavier weight oil in the rear diff and it makes the truck push a lot when cornering under power. After the swap the truck will turn sharper under throttle and braking

RC Racer
    I did this.

RC Enthusiast
    oh those washers I thought that's how the truck came. Will be doing that for sure Thanks, you using plastic or metal washers?

RC Qualifier
    Some use what it looks to be rubber washers I used metal washers.

RC Enthusiast
    for the ones by the windshield did you have to bend them at all to get a good fit?

RC Racer
    I just took a pliers and bowed them a bit.
    "Google translate"

RC Enthusiast
    i did bend the ones by the windshield so they didnt dig into the body and used longer screws that i had laying around.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool Cool, So front bulkhead reinforcement, steering post reinforcement, Bell Crank Strengthening, RPM Rear Hubs, Body Washers, RPM rear bumper, High Speed Spur Gear, 50wt Shock Oil, and switch the diff's. Quite the check list, anyone got anything else to add?

Due to copyright issues, cannot discuss a certain body.
    Last edited by Double G; 02-17-2018 at 03:25 PM.

What type of driving do you plan on doing with this truck? Kevin Talbot beats these things beyond belief. Unless you plan on driving it half as crazy as he does, the truck is very durable in its stock form. The body reinforcement washers and definitly a good idea and the RPM rear carriers are worth it for what they cost but other then that, I would take it out for a few runs before upgrading the other components (unless you have the money to blow).half the fun is painting and customizing a body myself. That being said though, the stock and proline raptor are not all that durable in my opinion.
    Last edited by Double G; 02-17-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Have fun with it!

RC Enthusiast
    @NYbandit more than likely im gonna be easy on it at first then go half basher with it, not full on basher like Kevin Talbot by any means LOL

RC Enthusiast

Just Bought a X-Maxx!!

i agree with NYbandit, that big list isnt necessary at all. and i wasnt saying to get the rpm rear bumper, just put washers on the stock rear bumper screws.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-17-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Content

RC Enthusiast
    ahh k thanks @gryzor I didn't know that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Welcome to the forum. I'm scratch building an X-Maxx, which is not cost effective, I just love the building aspect, plus I can choose what's on it. I ordered from traxxas. Aluminum to match the shocks etc., overpriced but the fact you can color match is cool. I'm doing the same thing with the motor mount washers underneath.

RC Enthusiast
    Right on @Gripdog im not up to par with a full build or tear down for that matter on the X-Maxx yet looking forward to getting into the nitty gritty on it eventually though cheers!

RC Enthusiast
    LoL I got too many friends terrified to fix their RC's or their Computers for that matter.. I thrive in unknowable knowledge, until I get hands on with something and learn the missing pieces of a large puzzle.

Got bored with computer building and repair, instead decided to go full on RC again after a 16 year break.

Gotta say, I am going Traxxas all the way, as is my wife once she drives her new Rustler rebuild tomorrow for the first time.

Cant wait to see her face, going from a XL-5 Rustler with a Nimh battery, to a RPM custom rebuild with VXL-3S system, 4k 3S battery, and proper gearing tested with Proline Trenchers!

after the testing phase its a absolute Beast shes gonna love it.

Quite proud of the temps, 60 MPH top speed, and still popping wheelies at 50 MPH. Loves dirt and grass like its nothing, cheers!
    Last edited by Rick Hunter; 02-17-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Dont let your wife try the x-maxx, she’ll never want to drive the rustler off road ever again. As soon as I got my x-maxx, the rustler was transformed into a street only vehicle. Word of caution though if you drive these at home, the x-maxx is capable of completely destroying your lawn.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    Dont let your wife try the x-maxx, she’ll never want to drive the rustler off road ever again. As soon as I got my x-maxx, the rustler was transformed into a street only vehicle. Word of caution though if you drive these at home, the x-maxx is capable of completely destroying your lawn.
    Good to know I look forward to driving it for the first time, and don't worry ill keep my wife away from my X-Maxx LOL

RC Enthusiast
    She drove the new rustler today guys, she is super scared of its sheer power LOL, she said she does not even want to think about the X-Maxx or driving it haha.

My neighbors and buddy's were like OMG thats at least gotta be doing 60 rofl!

Should be getting my tracking number hopefully tomorrow for the X-Maxx. I got the Green one and I am gonna name it Loki. picked up the bulkhead reinforcement epoxy, and a brand new Infrared temp gun as well today
    Last edited by Rick Hunter; 02-18-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Keep an eye on the shock shafts once you start doing medium to large jumps. They can bend. If the shocks start sticking, they are bent. Ultimate Engineering makes a much stronger set than stock, and are less expensive than the traxxas upgrade parts.

Yes putting the diff with thinner oil in the rear will let the truck rotate more under power. With thicker wt in rear the truck wants to go straight under power(pushes)

The rear shocks need thicker oil. 50 wt is a good place to start. Heavier springs back there will help also, but oil is most important imo

Longer screws with large washers on both bumpers will help keep the bumpers from breaking.

I did not use the body washers, but i just shoo goo the body supports right to the body and have not had an issue.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Good to know thanks my X-Maxx gets here tomorrow. Having friends over for the unboxing of the beast lol.

RC Qualifier
    That's awesome I'm excited for you Rick you'll love the truck!

RC Enthusiast
    I Saw that video on the thickness of the shock shafts threading size between 8S and 6S X-Maxx's has this been corrected or no?

@Nightflier thanks bro I am quite stoked as its tomorrow the beast arrives Cheers!

RC Enthusiast
    The most popular RC dude in my town is coming for the X-Maxx Unboxing Tomorrow. Even though he is a hardcore Nitro Trucks dude, he also builds custom nitro boats. He said he has Not seen a X-Maxx yet, soo there ya go ladies and gentlemen see if the X-Maxx can change hearts and minds lol

Totally gonna play "Survivor" "Eye Of The Tiger" When I open up Loki with a crowd LOL

..and added to favorites XD
    Last edited by Rick Hunter; 02-20-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    When i bent my shafts, i ordered the UE shafts and they corrected the issue on their set. They include a drill bit to drill out the plastic ball ends to accept the thicker threads.i was worried that the plastic ends would weaken, but months later, no issues at all and still jumping big.

Not sure if trx fixxed it...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Ok first thing I am gonna do tomorrow aside from take the front skid plate off and strengthen the front bulkhead and steering posts is check the shock shaft thread thickness.

if they are overly tapered to tiny ill order the UE shafts ASAP
    Last edited by Rick Hunter; 02-20-2018 at 10:08 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    weird double post by accident

RC Enthusiast
    Well my X-Maxx just got here.. Think I bought more truck than I can handle ROFL. This thing is Massive videos online don't do its size justice like at all. cant wait to drive this monster, post more a bit later

RC Enthusiast
    Just drove the monster for the first time, best thing since sliced bread imho LOL.

Tons of people stopping their vehicles passing by like WOW now that's a RC Truck haha!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

Longer screws with large washers on both bumpers will help keep the bumpers from breaking.
    Where exactly are the screws?

RC Enthusiast
    Doesn't come with the truck gotta find them separately @Jrjr

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
    Doesn't come with the truck gotta find them separately @Jrjr
    Do you mean the screws through the bumper, or the screws on the mounts?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrjr View Post
    Do you mean the screws through the bumper, or the screws on the mounts?
    Both from how I understood it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast