RC Enthusiast

Mini Summit Buyers Remorse

I think I should have got a Rustler. The Mini Summit is fun to drive, but I'm starting to think that unless a 4x4 vehicle has locked (or the ability to lock) the diffs, whats the point? Sure it will go up a hill a little better or go through grass a little easier...maybe handle better too. But if your mainly bashing and turning and jumping and such, is it worth the extra parts and maintenance? I've only had this thing for about a week but I'm already eyeballing the Rustler or maybe a Pede 2wd. There would only be very certain types of terrain that a Mini Summit would just totally out-drive a Rustler or 2wd Pede on. I feel like those two vehicles can go ALMOST anywhere the summit can, but will handle better and be less work/money. Thoughts?

RC Enthusiast
    on the same size vehicle 4wd is certainly better than 2wd. a larger 2wd vehicle is better than a smaller 2wd. but comparing a smaller 4wd to a larger 2wd is hard to do. back when i had a mini revo and a rustler they seemed to drive somewhat similarly. the rustler being slightly better over smoother/faster terrain while the mini revo was better over really rough terrain. the rustler got stuck more but the larger size of the vehicle made it handle a little better at speed. hard to say what you will be happier with without knowing the terrain you are running on.

personally, i think 4wd is totally worth the slight bit extra work. the icing on the cake is a larger vehicle with 4wd if you can afford it.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the advice! I should have mentioned, I'm definitely not trying to poo-poo the Mini Summit. I have been out of RC for about 10 years now. I just feel a 1/10 would have been the better pick for me. After researching and thinking about the 4wd, I think it IS worth it after all...even without locked/lockable diffs. I can't imagine my Mini Summit as a 2wd...I would hardly be able to control it! I've decided on getting a Stampede 4x4 VXL next payday. I think that will suit my needs much better.

Glad I saw this as I'm looking for a smaller vehicle then my X-maxx for backyard bashing. I'm totally destroying my yard with the X-maxx. Ive pretty much settled on creating a 2x4 slash monster truck but I was looking very closely at the 1/16 summit vxl. After a little research, I think its too small for what I want. I'm looking for something that can go thru grass easily and handle a few ramps. I'm not sure any 1/16 vehicle would suit my needs. What type of surface do you primarily drive on? Whats your budget? For me personally, the rustler does not meet my off road needs. Its great on dirt but it doesn't go thru grass very well. I turned my Rustler into a street only vehicle once I got the X-maxx. I had a 4x4 pede but it didn't excite me as much I thought it was going to. I had 4x4 slash's in the past so I figured the pede would be just as great off road. After a few times taking it out though it was too top heavy and the stock vxl setup did not feel sufficient enough to power the 4 larger size tires on grass. I would strongly recommend upgrading the ESC and motor.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Drive a 2 wheel drive on damp grass and you will immediately see the advantage to 4 wheel drive, even without locked diffs.
    Re: diffs, Unless you are rock crawling (or otherwise moving slowly), locked diffs will not only not be better, but can be worse in many situations.
    Dacaur

RC poster
    Totally understand, I break this truck nearly every-time I run it.
    I just replaced the rear diff after shearing a few teeth off of it, first run back out with the slipper very loose and punch turned down in my esc something else is stripped and a clip popped out of a rear pillowball, don't even have the will to tear it apart to see what is exactly broken. Probably going to shelve this thing or sell it off.

On top of being fragile you have to drive it like a grandma, take a corner too fast and it traction rolls, hit the throttle or brakes too hard and it flips over.

Sorry summit, you look cool but you are easily the least fun R/C i've ever had.

RC Racer
    You have to enjoy the mini summit for what it is a jack of all trades but master of none. You have to remember the scale. Realistically how mush do you think its going to be able to do. You can tell by looking at it that it will struggle with some things. Don't try to make it into a 40+ mph speed machine it was never designed with high speed in mind. The high cg and narrow wleelbase does not make it the best thing for high speed handling.

I got mine used cheap with some parts broke and I have to say that I would not pay the price they want for the vxl brand new its just not worth it. I have changed some things and now its a merv/summit it handles slightly better now than stock and is a little more fun to drive now. Alot of people on these forums have problems with their rigs and end up changing, fixing or upgrading things this is all part of the hobby. Buyers remorse can be said about alot of things but if the mini Summit is that bad why do people keep buying them and Traxxas keep selling them. Theres no rc thats perfect for everyone and if there was how boring would that be.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon8 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I should have mentioned, I'm definitely not trying to poo-poo the Mini Summit. I have been out of RC for about 10 years now. I just feel a 1/10 would have been the better pick for me. After researching and thinking about the 4wd, I think it IS worth it after all...even without locked/lockable diffs. I can't imagine my Mini Summit as a 2wd...I would hardly be able to control it! I've decided on getting a Stampede 4x4 VXL next payday. I think that will suit my needs much better.
    The stampede vxl has it's share of issues, but they can be fixed. It's a tough little rig. Probably one of the toughest RC's I've ever owned. Tons of fun at a skate park. Sits a bit low for grass that's too tall. Wish it came with a center roll bar so the body wouldn't crumple on roof landings.

Upgrading the motor mount with a king headz and the slipper bushing with alloy are a couple of the first upgrades. Then MIP X-Duty cvd's, especially if you intend on running 3S. Even on 2S, the stock axles do not hold up very long. I only run 2S and I love that truck. It's one that goes with me on nearly every bash that I run after I break my savage flux or ERBE.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Heres pics of 1/16 Latrax Teton 4x4, 1/10 Stampede 4x4, 6s Xmaxx 4x4. Just so you can see the size differences.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Enthusiast
    I have a LaTrax Prerunner and Slash 1/16 and you know what I've figured out? Sport mode IE full power mode is too much for these vehicles. Parts break constantly unless you upgrade to much more expensive aftermarket parts, and even those will break eventually.

I think they should simply rename "training mode" to "standard mode" and "sport mode" should be called "speed run mode" because it's not suitable for bashing

It's amazing to me that people upgrade to brushless... Even more power and speed. How are they able to not break the vehicles constantly?
    Last edited by jackalopephoto; 10-15-2018 at 10:43 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jackalopephoto View Post
    I have a LaTrax Prerunner and Slash 1/16 and you know what I've figured out? Sport mode IE full power mode is too much for these vehicles. Parts break constantly unless you upgrade to much more expensive aftermarket parts, and even those will break eventually.

I think they should simply rename "training mode" to "standard mode" and "sport mode" should be called "speed run mode" because it's not suitable for bashing

It's amazing to me that people upgrade to brushless... Even more power and speed. How are they able to not break the vehicles constantly?
    You just have to know your car and what its limits are. I put a 4600kv castle motor in the mini summit and it worked. It did a backflip off of a jump at full throttle and stripped 1 tooth on the pinion gear attatched to the differential. Then i put the smaller 380 traxxas vxl can in and I haven't had a problem since I know know the weakest points on the mini summit are the axles, and the diffs. YOu have to shim the differentials, and for the axles, buy some erevo steel dogbones. also then buy the merv a arms so they dont pop out

RC Enthusiast
    BTW if all you care about is capability rather than fun, why not just use your feet? You can go over any bump that the RC car can. I don't get this mentality that "more capability is better". That's the total opposite of the purpose of RC cars