Thread: Factory shocks

RC Enthusiast

Factory shocks

How do I know when it's time to rebuild the shocks? Add oil? I have one front tire that seems to be bouncing more than the rest. I have over 100 runs on the car. Could someone with a little more experience give me some recommendations.

RC Enthusiast
    Added some 25WT shock oil, improved handling. The hobby shop indicated you should check your shock fluid level every month.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jel1988 View Post
    Added some 25WT shock oil, improved handling. The hobby shop indicated you should check your shock fluid level every month.
    Are you using the stock red shocks? I heard many people break those easily. I have not had any issues with mine, but I probably don't torture mine as some do.

Anyways, somebody told me if you mount the factory shocks upside down so the shock body is on the bottom, they actually hold up a lot better and less prone to breakage.

RC Enthusiast
    Haven't broke the stock shocks yet. Don't do a lot of jumping to break them. The car has a lot of runtime (300+ batteries). In fact the shocks are one of the few moving parts I haven't replaced!

RC Racer
    Its time to rebuild shocks when they leak of course or you notice their dampening diminish. The stock shocks are not the greatest but mine hold oil pretty well and have not broke on me yet. The first thing I noticed is the spring on full extension is not long enough to keep enough pressure on the spring retainer. This allows sometimes for the spring retainer to pop off. I streched mine some to get the spring to have a proper length. You can use Assocaited rc18 preload spacers to make the shocks more adjustable (Associated 21191).