Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Bulletproof Slash Diff V2… for MIP X-Duty Users

Ok fellas, I've spent quite a few hours trying to come up with what I believe is the ultimate Bulletproof Slash Diff. Let it be known that I have been trying to build a diff that will handle 12S for a while now. My previous versions have been strong but this new version is guaranteed to be the strongest diff that you can build for your Slash with available, on the market products… PERIOD!!! This particular build utilizes MIP X-Duty axles because what else would you use for the ultimate in strength and durability!

***A special shout-out to BadAssRC for locating & posting the final piece for this project… the Spiral Diff

Here is the parts breakdown -

LEM-116 Diff Cup V2 Combo Kit
    * Aluminum Cup
    * Hardened Spiders
    * Hardened Shaft
    * O-Rings
    * Longer Hardened Screws (14mm compared to 10mm stock)

LEM-230 Hardened I-Bar

Traxxas 5379R - Front - Hardened Spiral-Cut Ring Gear

Traxxas 6879R - Rear - Hardened Spiral-Cut Ring Gear

Traxxas 5382X - Hardened Output Gears - 6mm Shaft

MIP 08137 Spline CVD Hub 6mm Bore E-Revo

MIP X-Duty Axles - MIP10130 & MIP10132

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to your reviews on the Traxxas spirals mine are on back order so i'll be waiting for the results when you try them lol keep me posted.

Mine aren't as extreme but I am only going to be running 4S at max. Mine still have the plastic cups and XO-1 gears with the 5mm output shafts with X-rings. Sadly still waiting on my LEM O-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Looking forward to your reviews on the Traxxas spirals mine are on back order so i'll be waiting for the results when you try them lol keep me posted.
    I would contact someone about that back-order. I ordered mine on 2-11 and got them 2-14.

I can't wait to try them out. I'm about to drop one in the rear of my 8S XLX/800Kv rig, change the pinion/spur and see if one of my large parking lots is dry enough tomorrow to run it. These diffs turn smooth as silk and I actually think the Revo output drives fit a smidgen better that the stock, 5mm variety. Along with the larger XO-1 aluminum C-Hubs, Carriers and such, this should be a stout setup. We'll see!

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Mine aren't as extreme but I am only going to be running 4S at max. Mine still have the plastic cups and XO-1 gears with the 5mm output shafts with X-rings. Sadly still waiting on my LEM O-rings.
    I've got plenty of them! PM me!

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    I would contact someone about that back-order. I ordered mine on 2-11 and got them 2-14.
    Distributor is still listing as a back order from Traxxas out of my lhs hands the same as my gps from 2 months ago. (pony express where i live lol) Could of ordered on-line but went local no regrets and over here even when you order with 2 days shipping from Amazon it takes 4-5 days (trucking and ferry's).

Besides it gives Shack time to post reviews i'm in no hurry you get used to waiting on the island for parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    I can't wait to try them out. I'm about to drop one in the rear of my 8S XLX/800Kv rig, change the pinion/spur and see if one of my large parking lots is dry enough tomorrow to run it. These diffs turn smooth as silk and I actually think the Revo output drives fit a smidgen better that the stock, 5mm variety. Along with the larger XO-1 aluminum C-Hubs, Carriers and such, this should be a stout setup. We'll see!

-Shack
    What were they like putting together as far as shim's? And what did you end up putting inside for oil or grease?

No shims/washers other than the one that goes in the bottom of the cup. I did switch that stock nylon piece to a steel version, same specs. As for oil, its Traxxas-brand 50K in the front and 100K in the rear. You can get cheaper diff fluid but I have had good luck with the Traxxas stuff so why change! That weight is for my speed rigs BTW.

-Shack
    Last edited by shack351; 02-18-2018 at 12:26 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good can't wait to hear how they work out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Very nice, I always wanted to do a 6mm outdrive setup just never pursued it lol. Should hold up pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks brother. Yeah, I've wondered how it might workout with the 6mm outdrive and it just feels tighter. I need to take some measurements and see if there is a variance. I know it feels better in your hand though. We'll see.

-Shack

Looks stout...
    Keep us posted on your testing!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Planet has the MIP 6mm hub on clearance atm. $4.44 ea

https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r-...waAtAKEALw_wcB

what are the advantages/disadvantages of spiral cut diffs?
    also how are metal diff cups better than the plastic ones?
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

Spiral cut gears engage more smoothly plus the Traxxas ones are hardened steel. Plastic diff cups can flex under heavy load which allows the internal spider gears to slip and chip teeth.

Well, I did not drop the new diff in the XLX/800Kv speed rig today. Not enough time. I did, however, pull the rear STRC cup (now discontinued) and drop the V2 diff in my MMX/2200 basher. With a brand-new, fully charged 6S Graphene pack, I took her outside and pounded her for a while. With the BadlandsMX28s, as one would expect, it was a wheelie monster and really a blast to drive. I just about immediately noticed a little different sound it makes (all good though) and that with the 50K fluid I was getting more speed/traction in wide turns. In tighter turns it seemed as though it would flip a little more easily. Need more drive-time to fully evaluate.

After a few minutes of that, I pulled the Badlands and loaded her up with a set of SRC Terrain Crushers. I said that I was not going to do anymore 6S bashing without recording it because of all the killer wrecks (rollovers and such) I've missed getting on tape in the past. Wife was at work though and oldest son was sick so I just said screw it and went ahead. Since the SRCs are a lot heavier than the Badlands, they should stress the components pretty good. Well... the SRCs were absolutely great! Still a wheelie monster but the rig just drove so much smoother over the grass and small jumps. I drove it just about as hard as I could and the diffs never skipped a beat. I did have to readjust (tighten) the slipper to almost as tight as you can get it though. The SRCs are so big and get so much traction, even the Hot Racing TRX15EX06 Super Duty large slipper needed more clamping force. I rolled and flip it a few times in the grass but no carnage. As I was about to wrap it up, I had to get it out on the pavement one last time. I was going about 35 or 40mph and punched it. Mistake! It flipped instantly like I was only going 15/20mph! While I didn't actually break anything, I scratched the HR cage up real nice as it slid down the road. Oh well, that's what its there for I suppose.

I'm gonna charge a few more 6S packs tonight and, weather permitting, wear it out tomorrow. After I get a few more of those packs through it, I'll pull the diff and see what things look like. I have a feeling its gonna be just fine. Here's a few pics of before the install. Just sump'n to look at.

-Shack

5mm & 6mm hubs -

Revo/TMaxx hubs with Slash bones -

STRC & LEM Cups -

I like how snug the 6mm hubs are to the diff bearing. Stuff some grease between and it just might stay.

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to build a few of these. I'm going too put a couple in my Revo V1. The Revo is notorious for blowing up the diffs. Thanks Shack for all the work/ R & D. Much appreciated Brother.

Hey Dave,

No problem brother! I really enjoy doing this stuff and hope someone can benefit other than myself. I was going to bash on it some more today but I had a medical procedure that I needed to have done but didn't get home til late and was still a bit out of it from the anesthesia so I decided not to risk it. After all, bashing on 6S does require you to pay a little more attention. Anyway, hopefully I can get it out tomorrow, run a few more 6S packs through it and then yank and inspect. Not a whole lot of bashing time to see how it will really hold up but if something is amiss, there may be signs already. I will definitely let you know!

-Shack

Not trying to go too far off topic but since we have e-revo diffs parts here I thought I might share this monster.

It is the new diff for the E-Revo 2. Think we can fit in our Slash 4x4s :P
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-23-2018 at 12:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Lol. I'm sure someone (Shack) might try....

RC Qualifier
    Distributor is still listing as a back order from Traxxas out of my lhs hands the same as my gps from 2 months ago. (pony express where i live lol) Could of ordered on-line but went local no regrets and over here even when you order with 2 days shipping from Amazon it takes 4-5 days (trucking and ferry's).

Besides it gives Shack time to post reviews i'm in no hurry you get used to waiting on the island for parts.
    According to my local Hobbystore, a partial batch of the new Spiral Cut Ring and Pinions were defective. Per Traxxas, the stores had to refuse shipment and sent them back. I was told this should be taken care of and back in stock around this weekend. Traxxas does have them in stock and with the proper batch. Supposedly, they were over hardened, causing them to be brittle and would shatter. No idea on how many were defective, and if it was region specific or not.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    According to my local Hobbystore, a partial batch of the new Spiral Cut Ring and Pinions were defective. Per Traxxas, the stores had to refuse shipment and sent them back. I was told this should be taken care of and back in stock around this weekend. Traxxas does have them in stock and with the proper batch. Supposedly, they were over hardened, causing them to be brittle and would shatter. No idea on how many were defective, and if it was region specific or not.
    Interesting, I was told Friday by the lhs that they would be in next week so that might of been the problem thank's for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    Nothing on you brother, at all, but I would be a little leary about that LHS claim for several reasons. These aren't question to you, but rather what I would ask myself if told the same thing.

1. How did the LHS know there was supposedly a problem with only certain gears out of a particular batch? To have defects of this type arise in only some of the batch, or partial batch, is a bit of a conundrum.
    2. Who told them about it?
    3. How come they know but many other very large shops I contacted asking about stock status of the gears didn't know anything?
    4. When I asked my rep at Traxxas about it, he said he asked around the shop and it was the first anyone had heard of it.

Maybe they did have a problem, who knows. I can't find a shred of info on the internet and my daily chores at work include web design, development and SEO so I'm pretty good with complex web queries. I just finished one last very quick bash on 8S and I'm about to pull the diff and disassemble. Let's see how it held up!

-Shack

Well, I pulled the new diff, disassembled it and it was about as I expected... everything looked good. I really like the 6mm outdrives. The make the assembly feel tighter. Really not much else to say!

-Shack

So I guess all that is left is to see if my plastic cups explode under the torture of my 2650kv motor anytime soon. That means I need a 4s battery soon because the 3s is not going to do it.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you Shack looks good, looking forward to when I receive my diff gears.

It has been over a month anything new to report on these new Traxxas spiral gears? Mine are still like new after over 10 runs.

It has been over a month anything new to report on these new Traxxas spiral gears? Mine are still like new after over 10 runs.
    Yeah, sorry about that. The last few months have been crazy. I've been bashing on mine with 4-6S and no issues. I have another set that are in the new speed rig that will see 8S and 5th-scale torque. That will be the test!

-Shack

I am also think strongly about using the spiral cut gears in one of my trucks. I need to try and find the LEM O rings for a better fit. I need to do something new to my truck. It's time
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    I've had my Traxxas spiral gears sitting on the shelf for 5 weeks now and haven't put them together, I've been running ReglarGuy's diff mod with the bushing and it is night and day to what I've previously run.

I've torture tested this mod with my Emaxx in 15 runs on 3.8 Trencher X's and not an issue yet. Waiting on new servos both of my 2075x's packed it in at the same time.

Shack glad to hear your getting ready to test the gears on 8s that should be fun and interesting lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Yeah, sorry about that. The last few months have been crazy. I've been bashing on mine with 4-6S and no issues. I have another set that are in the new speed rig that will see 8S and 5th-scale torque. That will be the test!

-Shack
    Real life should always take precedence but good to hear they are surviving your abuse. I can't wait to see the 5th scale beast you got cookin.

RC Racer
    So if I were to buy the diffs assembled, what part is needed to change it out to fit the mip cv axles?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's BEEFY!

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    So if I were to buy the diffs assembled, what part is needed to change it out to fit the mip cv axles?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    If you are using the 5mm output shafts nothing needs to change but if your diffs are using the 6mm output shafts you want 4 of these.

Revo/Tmaxx hubs are a non issue with the Slash axles? That just made my day!!! I'll have to get a set for the front of my crawler.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Revo/Tmaxx hubs are a non issue with the Slash axles? That just made my day!!! I'll have to get a set for the front of my crawler.
    Just to clarify those are for MIP X-Duty axles not stock.

Exactly. I snap the stock ones like breaking pretzels, literally, every outing. Big tires and weight don't mix well with plastic. $58 for the fronts at my lhs, I'm still looking the #08137 pieces...
    Last edited by MAC FAB; 11-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.

I looked into it and it seems the #08137 has been replaced by the #18115.

https://www.miponline.com/MIP-Spline...xx-3-3-1-08137

https://www.miponline.com/MIP-X-Duty...-x-6mm-1-18115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast