RC poster

New to here (2018)

Hey I am finally back in the hobby I have a nitro Revo 3.3 runs great but running it yesterday the throttle Servo just stopped and then began working again. I tried switching it to steering Servo and rebounding and nothing. With a little help I can get it to move but as soon as it doesnít have my touch, nothing. So is it shot or? I did some browsing on here and theyíre arenít very many clear answers. Itís had a half of a gallon ran through it. Pretty new. Steering and shifting work fine, but if I plug the throttle into either outputs I get nothing unless I help it. I can provide videos and pictures and what not.

RC poster
    I tried again and if I keep pushing the linkage manually it will move while using the throttle on the Servo, however as soon as I stop assisting itís done. Is it friend?

RC Racer
    That servo is most likely fried, buy a replacement, they are cheap on amazon, I would recommend a metal gear one, I use this servo https://www.amazon.com/LewanSoul-LD-...tal+gear+servo its cheap and has lots of torque. Just remember to set end points correctly.

Are you using AA batteries or a battery pack for the receiver? Is it charged?
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Are you using AA batteries or a battery pack for the receiver? Is it charged?
    Yes, using a brand new reachable pack that I charge from underneath with the adapter. Fully charged.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickitSAM View Post
    That servo is most likely fried, buy a replacement, they are cheap on amazon, I would recommend a metal gear one, I use this servo https://www.amazon.com/LewanSoul-LD-...tal+gear+servo its cheap and has lots of torque. Just remember to set end points correctly.

What exactly is an end point? I’ve just gotten back in the hobby after ten years and a lot has changed. I had the original Traxxas Tmaxx

Quote Originally Posted by Kbarnes89 View Post
    What exactly is an end point? I’ve just gotten back in the hobby after ten years and a lot has changed. I had the original Traxxas Tmaxx
    End points are programmed with the radio system. They tell the servo when to "stop" and "start" if you follow me. A throttle servo needs a neutral point, a full throttle point, and a full brake point. If you are using the old AM radio from Traxxas these are pre-programmed and it would take a little playing with to make work. If you have an aftermarket radio they can be programmed much easier.
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    End points are programmed with the radio system. They tell the servo when to "stop" and "start" if you follow me. A throttle servo needs a neutral point, a full throttle point, and a full brake point. If you are using the old AM radio from Traxxas these are pre-programmed and it would take a little playing with to make work. If you have an aftermarket radio they can be programmed much easier.
    I have the stock transmitter from Traxxas that comes with the Revo and the Bluetooth package to where I have the app so I can see engine temp and all that.

RC poster
    Can I not post pictures? Itís the TQi with the ď marks shouldnít it tell me in the app that the throttle Servo is shot? All that technology and it canít tell me? Plus, I just did a firmware upgrade on both the tx/rx firmware it installed successfully I turned it off and back on like it said and it worked for about t n minutes then the throttle stopped responding I mean come on my luck first time Iíve really got to run her since winter oh well money pits

RC Champion
    Do you still have the opti drive in place? These are known to cause bizarre issues with the throttle servo. However if you plugged the throttle servo into the port for the steering and it still doesn't work like it should then it sounds like the servo is toast.
    I have an RC problem...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    Do you still have the opti drive in place? These are known to cause bizarre issues with the throttle servo. However if you plugged the throttle servo into the port for the steering and it still doesn't work like it should then it sounds like the servo is toast.
    What is the opti drive and what do you mean by in place? Itís a stock Revo. Havenít upgraded or changed anything 3.3 model with the TQi and all the sensors/Bluetooth. If I r place the Servo. Iím staying at itís Traxxas ($38 unless anyone can recommend a good Servo for around or less than that price. I mean, itís just a throttle Servo. Itís not like itís turning tires. Thereís hardly any load so I donít need 2000lb of torture. Just something to go in it. But literally 15 minutes after I successfully installed new firmware for the transmitter and receiver it did this. Without me putting pressure it wonít move whether itís plugged into steering or throttle or even shift. So new Servo. Let me know if thereís something long lasting that will take its place under $40. Otherwise Iím going original Traxxas 2056

What is the opti drive and what do you mean by in place? Itís a stock Revo. Havenít upgraded or changed anything 3.3 model with the TQi and all the sensors/Bluetooth. If I r place the Servo. Iím staying at itís Traxxas ($38 unless anyone can recommend a good Servo for around or less than that price. I mean, itís just a throttle Servo. Itís not like itís turning tires. Thereís hardly any load so I donít need 2000lb of torture. Just something to go in it. But literally 15 minutes after I successfully installed new firmware for the transmitter and receiver it did this. Without me putting pressure it wonít move whether itís plugged into steering or throttle or even shift. So new Servo. Let me know if thereís something long lasting that will take its place under $40. Otherwise Iím going original Traxxas 2056
    Optidrive prevents the reverse servo from shifting while the truck is in motion. I would call Traxxas before replacing the servo. Maybe something in the firmware went wrong. I would hate to buy a new servo only for it to get fried like the original.
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC Champion
    optidrive also interacts with the throttle input too. I was having weird issues when i first got my revo 3.3 and removiing the optidrive module cured it. Of course - you have to be super careful when switching from forward/reverse because the optidrive is there to protect the transmission gears from an accidental shift.
    I have an RC problem...

RC poster
    Are there different versions of the 2056? Some say Emaxx, some say boat, some say Rustler. But are they all the same exact Servo? I found one for $20

2056 is the same across the board and is the waterproof version of the 2055. People add different key words to get hits on searches.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I replaced the throttle servo and it still does not work. Whatís next? Iím stumped.

Sounds like the Opti-drive is bad. Try unplugging it from the RX and see if the servo works but dont start the engine. The RX itself might be bad as well.
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    Sounds like the Opti-drive is bad. Try unplugging it from the RX and see if the servo works but dont start the engine. The RX itself might be bad as well.
    Which ones do I unplug? I have on the RX two blacks, two reds, one green, two reds, one blue, one grey in that order top to bottom

RC poster
    I could barely see the letters but I hooked up the throttle to channel 3 and the throttle servi now works perfect. So my opti drive is bad? Can I drive without it? What would cause one to fail? Whatís the best thing to do?

Ch1 is steering and there typically is two ports. Ch2 is for throttle and you can directly connect to it. Ch3 is where the reverse servo plugs into. Ch5/batt is where the battery plugs into.

You can run without Opti-Drive but don't switch gears while moving.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Ch1 is steering and there typically is two ports. Ch2 is for throttle and you can directly connect to it. Ch3 is where the reverse servo plugs into. Ch5/batt is where the battery plugs into.

So what all do I unplug and plug into the RX? Everything? Like how exactly do I bypass the optidrive completely. Right now I just have the throttle servo plugged into the RX with everything else going through the opti drive

So what all do I unplug and plug into the RX? Everything? Like how exactly do I bypass the optidrive completely. Right now I just have the throttle servo plugged into the RX with everything else going through the opti drive
    This:

Servos directly to receiver. Steering into 1. Throttle into 2. Reverse into 3.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Unplug everything from the opti-drive and then plug the battery supply lead into the RX into the channel 5/batt port, the steering servo into one of the channel 1 slots, the throttle into channel 2 and the reverse servo into channel 3. Everything should function normally but as Double G mentioned be super careful when shifting forward/reverse. Make sure the model is stopped and brake applied before shifting because it's super easy to strip the gears if you try and shift while it's moving.
    I have an RC problem...

RC poster
    If I leave reverse unplugged would I be basically forward only? As in no chance of stripping gears? I had a Pro .15 back in the day, so Iíd it just like thos days? B real careful? As in Traxxas just threw in a safety? Iím already use to this?

I bought mine used, so I donít know if it has been required or not, but I didnít have to switch out the power, itís right into the switch. The Opti drive only has shift in and throttle in it wasnít connect to power
    Last edited by Double G; 03-23-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: merge