RC poster

Replacement for VXL-3S

The VXL-3S ESC on my Rustler VXl is on its way out and I am looking for a replacement. Key features that I am looking for:

- must be reliable;
    - must have at least the same performance of my VXL-3S on 3S lipos; and
    - must be a drop in replacement (I don't wish to mod my frame).

Should I just get another VXL-3S or is there a better alternative out there?

RC Qualifier
    Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT or SV2....they are both the same ESC, but go by different names. You can get the SCT on eBay for $45 shipped. It's MORE reliable than the VXL-3S and it can be programmed! Definitely an upgrade IMO.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree... its not waterproof but if you want something that will be reliable and out perform your VXL system id go with the SCT/3800 combo. Put the motor fan on the ESC and youll be all set. Its a really fast system with ALOT of torque.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In my experience the "water resistance" of the castle systems is more than adequate. It is most definitely an upgrade from the vxl-3s, you definitely won't regret picking one up!
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC poster
    I will be using 3S Lipos only.

I have read that the Sidewinders are primarily designed for 2S setups and may overheat with 3S. Should I go for the Mamba Max instead or is the Sidewinder sufficient?

RC Qualifier
    If you have the $$ for the Mamba, go for the Mamba....but 3s is fine on the sidewinder. I've been running 3s exclusively for about a month now with no problems. I have the Castle motor fan mounted on the esc though... With that setup the esc hasn't gotten above 115 degrees. Dead serious.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the downside to the sidewinder is that it gets warm but slap a fan over it and you're golden.

RC Champion
    I run the 3800 in my extended rusty buggy, gearing is 32p 19/50. Running 3s I hit 60.2 mph. Plenty fast, but will try 22 and 24 pinion if I can get it to fit with the 54t spur. High hope's I know!
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    I just recently got a CC3800 and Mamba Max Pro. Like previously mentioned, get the MMP if you can part with a bit more $. This thing stays nice and cool on 3s, comes with a pre-mounted fan, is programable and can handle up to 6s if you decide to put a different motor in there.
    Revo MM CC2200
    Rusty MMP CC3800
    Merv SV2 CC5700

RC Qualifier
    If you get a Castle ESC make sure you pick up a "Castle Link" too so you can hook it to a PC and program it.

You can do minimal programing without it. But a lot more options with the link
    Rustler CC3800 || Stampede VXL

RC poster
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This has got to be one of the most friendly and helpful forums that I have across! At this stage, I will probably buy just the MMP to use with my Velineon motor. Down the track, I may also add the Castle 3800kv motor. I do have a couple more questions:

Should I be getting the Field Link Portable Programmer or the Castle Link USB Programming Kit?

Also, do I need to buy a mount to use the MMP with my Rustler or will double sided tape be sufficient?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanderson1 View Post
    If you have the $$ for the Mamba, go for the Mamba....but 3s is fine on the sidewinder. I've been running 3s exclusively for about a month now with no problems. I have the Castle motor fan mounted on the esc though... With that setup the esc hasn't gotten above 115 degrees. Dead serious.
    what is ur gearing in ur rusty on 3s lipo with 3800kv?

RC Qualifier
    I've been running 19/83 and then 19/86 gearing...I've really been blown away that the ESC has stayed that cool. Kinda threw me for a loop at first!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by colcha View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This has got to be one of the most friendly and helpful forums that I have across! At this stage, I will probably buy just the MMP to use with my Velineon motor. Down the track, I may also add the Castle 3800kv motor. I do have a couple more questions:

Should I be getting the Field Link Portable Programmer or the Castle Link USB Programming Kit?

Also, do I need to buy a mount to use the MMP with my Rustler or will double sided tape be sufficient?
    My MMP is holding well with double-sided tape. Plans are to move it from the stock position and mount it on the side. Will need a flat edged screwdriver to pry it off! Stuff holds well.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought a mamba max fan for my sidewinder esc, only one my LHS had, and to mount my esc I just CA glued the bottom piece of the fan housing to the old esc mounting plate and it held awesome, even after all my crashes, but was able to pry it off with a screwdriver no problem. Haven't tried double sided tape before but was very happy with how the glue turned out.

RC poster
    hi all!
    sorry for posting on old thread, but i have the same question, but for my stampede 4x4 vxl... my vxl-3s can't handle the new 3s LiPo (5000mAh) and i'm looking for a replacement without having to mod the chassis. also what's the difference between a 3pin and a 4pin? and can a mix them ( e.g: 3 pin esc w/ 4pin motor)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitor29 View Post
    hi all!
    sorry for posting on old thread, but i have the same question, but for my stampede 4x4 vxl... my vxl-3s can't handle the new 3s LiPo (5000mAh) and i'm looking for a replacement without having to mod the chassis. also what's the difference between a 3pin and a 4pin? and can a mix them ( e.g: 3 pin esc w/ 4pin motor)?
    The hobbywing sc8 is quite cheap and can handle up to 4s. It might fit.
    i am not to sure what you mean 3 pin and 4 pin. Do you mean 4 pole?
    I ask way to many questions

RC Racer
    Sidewinder 3 or Sidewinder 4. The sidewinder 3 price just dropped because castle just released the fourth. They are both programmable. And they stay far cooler than the 3s. The sidewinder 4 also co,es with a fan. Just so you guys all know, the SCT sidewinder esc is only rated for 2s.

RC poster
    typing mistake. ya 4 pole i mean

Sct sidewinder 3 is rated up to 3s for use on a Rustler. 2s only on Slash 4wd

RC Racer
    Get a hobbywing max-10 esc. It is super dependable and can handle 3s lipo's no problem

RC Racer
    Get the same esc that they use on the e-revo brushless.

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing. I have been much happier with HW over my Castle Mamba-X /1410-3800.
    Also, Hobbywing has the WiFi Express module to adjust all parameters (Almost Double that of Castle) within seconds from your phone.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

Quote Originally Posted by ssanderson1 View Post
    Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT or SV2....they are both the same ESC, but go by different names. You can get the SCT on eBay for $45 shipped. It's MORE reliable than the VXL-3S and it can be programmed! Definitely an upgrade IMO.
    Buy the SCT or SV ESCs ONLY if you want an outdated ESC. I seriously hate that people just blindly regurgitate "Castle" for everything. Try something else. You'll get a feel for why the old Castle stuff is garbage and flawed which even Castle has admitted.

I use HobbyWing or Tekin.

RC poster
    What you guys think about this for replacement:
    ezrun 60a-Sl Sensorless brushless esc with 9t/4300kv motor
    Or:
    Castle SideWinder 3 with 4600kv motor?
    Last edited by Vitor29; 02-22-2018 at 11:48 AM.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    RC math:
    Castle Creations Mamba X ESC + Castle Creations 1415 1Y sensored 2400KV motor + 3S LiPo = happy
    Obstacle Magnet