RC Enthusiast

Rustler questions

Sorry i know there are probably a million of these but i'm new to Traxxas, RC cars and forums in general. i plan on getting a rustler vxl in the next month or so and ill be running a 2s lipo and i would like to put 2.8 trenchers front and rear. wanted thoughts if this is a good setup or not. what kind of gearing is needed and so on.

thanks

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS...

2.8s on a Rusty is a fairly common mod, and generally you will want to go up to the next sized spur, or drop a couple of teeth on the pinion. The best way to tell if your gearing is right is with a temp gun, making sure your motor temps are < 160*/F.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I had them on my rustler for a while and they were pretty good, I ran a 19t pinion and 86t spur without issue. You could get just a 18t pinion and have a pretty similar gear ratio if you don't feel like getting different spurs.
    Rustler VXL/ Merv (sold)/ Q32/ Ambush/ Kraton

RC Enthusiast
    i have 2.8 trenchers on my rustler and i run 3s lipo with 18t pinion and 83t spur. similar top speed and torque to stock tires with stock gearing. my setup gets warm(150-170*f) after hard running a full pack. i think 2s would run cooler but a temp gun is cheap to know for sure.

RC Enthusiast
    Make sure to use blue loctite to secure the nuts on the wheels I melted a wheel hub not doing so. Also works fine holding the pinion gear set screw. I run a 2s lipo with 2.8 trenchers and have no major problems. Gryzor mentioned watching temps. Traxxas does have a tsm voltage and motor temp sensor that can be installed to a rustler vxl and used with the Traxxas link app.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You're gonna need upgraded rear axles. Traxxas 1951R's or Mip XDuties

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    You're gonna need upgraded rear axles. Traxxas 1951R's or Mip XDuties
    I used the Trenchers on my, use to be VXL rusty. I never had an issue with the plastic drive shafts. Maybe i was not running it hard enough? I surely found that the motor ran awfully hot on 2s with the trenchers and stock gearing. Been so long I don't even remember what the stock gearing was....
    Last edited by lektro; 02-22-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I used the Trenchers on my, use to be VXL rusty. I never had an issue with the plastic drive shafts. Maybe i was not running it hard enough? I surely found that the motor ran awfully hot on 2s with the trenchers and stock gearing. Been so long I don't even remember what the stock gearing was....
    In the grass running 2S Badlands MX28's mine didn't last a full battery. I was running hard. Battery selection also will be important as the stock esc loves to go into LVC under load if the batteries aren't up to the task.

Actually I was running it pretty hard. Didn't you have your diff locked? I know I had the 1951r's around for back up though. Maybe I didn't run it enough to really find out before upgrading everything. Both my vehicle's as of now have the slipper tight as a tick. That's the way uh huh uh huh I like it!
    Last edited by lektro; 02-22-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Actually I was running it pretty hard. Didn't you have your diff locked? I know I had the 1951r's around for back up though. Maybe I didn't run it enough to really find out before upgrading everything. Both my vehicle's as of now have the slipper tight as a tick. That's the way uh huh uh huh I like it!
    It was bone stock minus an RPM bumper and the tires.