Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    38

    Rustler questions

    Sorry i know there are probably a million of these but i'm new to Traxxas, RC cars and forums in general. i plan on getting a rustler vxl in the next month or so and ill be running a 2s lipo and i would like to put 2.8 trenchers front and rear. wanted thoughts if this is a good setup or not. what kind of gearing is needed and so on.

    thanks

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,600
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS...

    2.8s on a Rusty is a fairly common mod, and generally you will want to go up to the next sized spur, or drop a couple of teeth on the pinion. The best way to tell if your gearing is right is with a temp gun, making sure your motor temps are < 160*/F.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  3. #3
    RC Racer A1ArmedToaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Your Grandmother's Kitchen Counter
    Posts
    183
    I had them on my rustler for a while and they were pretty good, I ran a 19t pinion and 86t spur without issue. You could get just a 18t pinion and have a pretty similar gear ratio if you don't feel like getting different spurs.
    Rustler VXL/ Merv (sold)/ Q32/ Ambush/ Kraton

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    37
    i have 2.8 trenchers on my rustler and i run 3s lipo with 18t pinion and 83t spur. similar top speed and torque to stock tires with stock gearing. my setup gets warm(150-170*f) after hard running a full pack. i think 2s would run cooler but a temp gun is cheap to know for sure.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    26
    Make sure to use blue loctite to secure the nuts on the wheels I melted a wheel hub not doing so. Also works fine holding the pinion gear set screw. I run a 2s lipo with 2.8 trenchers and have no major problems. Gryzor mentioned watching temps. Traxxas does have a tsm voltage and motor temp sensor that can be installed to a rustler vxl and used with the Traxxas link app.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,230
    You're gonna need upgraded rear axles. Traxxas 1951R's or Mip XDuties

  7. #7
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    You're gonna need upgraded rear axles. Traxxas 1951R's or Mip XDuties
    I used the Trenchers on my, use to be VXL rusty. I never had an issue with the plastic drive shafts. Maybe i was not running it hard enough? I surely found that the motor ran awfully hot on 2s with the trenchers and stock gearing. Been so long I don't even remember what the stock gearing was....
    Last edited by lektro; 02-22-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,230
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I used the Trenchers on my, use to be VXL rusty. I never had an issue with the plastic drive shafts. Maybe i was not running it hard enough? I surely found that the motor ran awfully hot on 2s with the trenchers and stock gearing. Been so long I don't even remember what the stock gearing was....
    In the grass running 2S Badlands MX28's mine didn't last a full battery. I was running hard. Battery selection also will be important as the stock esc loves to go into LVC under load if the batteries aren't up to the task.

  9. #9
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Actually I was running it pretty hard. Didn't you have your diff locked? I know I had the 1951r's around for back up though. Maybe I didn't run it enough to really find out before upgrading everything. Both my vehicle's as of now have the slipper tight as a tick. That's the way uh huh uh huh I like it!
    Last edited by lektro; 02-22-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,230
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Actually I was running it pretty hard. Didn't you have your diff locked? I know I had the 1951r's around for back up though. Maybe I didn't run it enough to really find out before upgrading everything. Both my vehicle's as of now have the slipper tight as a tick. That's the way uh huh uh huh I like it!
    It was bone stock minus an RPM bumper and the tires.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •