RC Enthusiast

Should have got the Big Summit...

I've been away from RC for about 10 years and I bought a 1/16 Summit 2 weeks ago. I've been having a blast! I get so disheartened though when the little guy just can't quite make it up a hill or through a difficult section of rocks/loose dirt. I find myself wishing I could remote lock the diffs. I really wish I had went for the bigger Summit! I had thoughts of getting a TRX-4, but I don't really have an interest in true rock crawling...I just want the ability to power up a hill or make it through tough sections without having to blast up the hill as fast as possible or give the thing a little kick to help it through the rough stuff.

I'm thinking of either getting a Stampede VXL 4x4 (I just feel a Stampede would be even more fun than an Mini Summit for bashing) and a TRX-4 or JUST getting the Big Summit....any thoughts!? I over analyze everything, so just looking for some opinions.

RC Enthusiast
    another option to think about is if your mainly just going slow you could put a dif locker in the mini. just no remote locking/unlocking. you might lose a little driveline durability when doing faster bashing as well as the turning radius will suffer a bit.

RC Qualifier
    If the trx4 is not up your alley than a summit sounds like it could be for you. I love summit, just like you said you want to be able to roll over stuff and the summit does that very well. Its a great just overall have fun basher. But there has been rumors of the summit being discontinued, but nothing officially that I've heard of.

RC Qualifier
    I vote for the Stampede. The VXL is silly fast. Mine's just 2WD and pulls a wheelie as long as I want to hold the trigger. You will need wheelie bars. I haven't even run mine on a lipo yet! That's next.

The Summit is too expensive IMO...

Personally, I would do large Summit if you want decent speed and the odd crawling/intense off-road... Hiking etc. If you want to go fast in rough terrain or flat land or anywhere and just bash, get a Slash 4x4.

If you want to go fast with a Summit, prepare to double if not triple the purchase price... Slash pretty fun out of the box... But again you'll want to upgrade maybe... Batteries are the worst lol
    Last edited by whitie_bear; 02-21-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Slash Ultimate Modified & Summit - Lipos ALWAYS!

My slash is pretty versatile, put on the monster truck wheels and bash off-road in 2s and the odd 3s ... Put street tires and wheels on then race on 3s (I have a aftermarket motor/ESC so i can run 4s... So pretty fast). Personally if you don't want to crawl a bunch, why are you considering the trx. I have started to love crawling with my large Summit, fast = $$$$ and you break allot of stuff...1/10 summit stock with a pair of 2s and I still haven't broke anything

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the thoughts! I would def keep the Big Summit stock and run at most 2s. The Mini Summit's speed blew me out of the water and that was running on the cruddy NiMH stock batt. I would like to try a crawler before I buy one. Just not feeling the pull hard enough to drop that kind of money on something I might totally dislike. The Mini Summit is going to go away for sure for me, if I want a strict basher I'll go with the P4DE. The thing that keeps pulling me back to the Big Summit is how you can drop it down in low gear, lock the diffs, and run over stuff lol. Not necessarily talking technical rocks, just stuff that an unlocked 4x4 would get stuck in.

RC Qualifier
    Turn the 1/16 summit into a revo and make it a street racer.
    I recommend the big summit all day. A blast to bash. Some say it might be discontinued but its Traxxas they will support it for years.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

Should have got the Big Summit...

It seems some here have not discovered or learned to appreciate the joys of going slow. Im no technical crawler not a scale nut. I just happen to like driving on rocks, whether they be blasted, jumbled stacks, weather-rounded piles, solitary glacial erratics, or bones of the Earth bedrock and outcrops.
    Many times I do my driving on public trails. If I had a dime for every time somebody told me, You cant make it down that! Id be a richer person. My response is typically and truthfully, Why not? I just made it up it.
    The performance of the Summit is like no other vehicle and certainly none of the other vehicles mentioned can reach the places it can go. If you have the correct terrain, it will give you a very rewarding drive.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon8 View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts! I would def keep the Big Summit stock and run at most 2s. The Mini Summit's speed blew me out of the water and that was running on the cruddy NiMH stock batt. I would like to try a crawler before I buy one. Just not feeling the pull hard enough to drop that kind of money on something I might totally dislike. The Mini Summit is going to go away for sure for me, if I want a strict basher I'll go with the P4DE. The thing that keeps pulling me back to the Big Summit is how you can drop it down in low gear, lock the diffs, and run over stuff lol. Not necessarily talking technical rocks, just stuff that an unlocked 4x4 would get stuck in.
    I think you just answered your question, dont waste any more money, get the Summit now while you can or regret it forever...down the road you can buy another style of RC but this will let you know what you really enjoy. Best purchase ive ever made, never thought I would love a slow moving RC so much...especially after driving on 2-4s on my slash, man that thing is fun going fast but it gets old fast when your breaking something every half hour and spend most of your trail time on your butt trying to remove tiny screws and not lose them in the dirt or grass just so you can get back up and running to break again hahahah HIGH SPEED HOW DARE YOU!

My only point was if your in it to have a fast Summit, i would save the money and purchase a different vehicle (i.e. revo, slash, p4de etc.), the nice part is you have a bit of both worlds...an ok crawler and a decent speed LARGE RC
    Last edited by whitie_bear; 02-22-2018 at 10:06 AM.

RC poster
    keep your eyes open for a used summit 1/10. I just got a bone stock 1/10 summit used from a buddy for $200.

RC Racer
    Get the Big Summit! They are just to cool. I have a lot of Traxxas RCs and it's my favorite. Its not just high and low speed but multiple driving combinations you can do with the transmission and diffs. Nothing better than charging at a long steep hill, full throttle and in high gear with hubs unlocked, get partial way up and start to lose traction and shift on the fly to lock the hubs in and keep climbing! As you get towards the top and there are obstackles in your way that would flip a basher over and send it back down the hill, all you do with the Summit is drop it in low range and pick and crawl your way to the top(or the summit) in this case. Plus the other nice thing about the Summit is that it is pretty much rock solid. Lipos do increase the run time dramatically. Get one and get you some!

RC Enthusiast
    i was in the same boat, i wanted a summit, i wasnt sure what one, after watching many utube onthe 1/10 i decided thats what i wanted, i just found a used one with a dual battery charger and 2 lipo and the 2 nimh batteries, it is exactly what i wanted, sooooo fun to crawl with, i have learned how important diff lock is, i try the hill in low and she starts to spin ill try just front locked and most times she crawls up but if not then ill lock all 4,shes unstoppable then, i have a nitro tmax for speed so this summit will prob spend more of its life in low and locked, to much fun, if the big one is what u want get one u wont regret it, i dont