RC Enthusiast

LIPO and NIMH Question...Go Figure...

If a NIMH batt has a similar voltage to a LIPO, lets say 7.4 volts...whats the advantage of a LIPO, besides less weight, in that case?

Another thought...If I have a 9.6 volt NIMH, won't that be better than a 7.4 volt LIPO in regards to speed/power?

MAH is MAH is MAH right? a 5,000 MAH LIPO won't last any longer than a 5,000 MAH NIMH....right?

RC Enthusiast

LIPO and NIMH Question...Go Figure...

Liops have much higher burst current therefore more punching power. If the voltage is the same you will achieve the same top speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Qualifier
    I read a great comparison test....

A 7 cell will have a 1 MPH advantage over a 7.4v lipo for the first 4 minutes.....then the NiMH power drops off. Even though a 7cell NiMH has a full volt advantage over the lipo, it only shows at the beginning before the NiMH power drops, where the lipo holds it's power throughout the whole run.

I am switching over to lipo for everything as I am sick of taking a NiMH, charging it for an hour only to find out it needs cycling 3x to bring it back up to full power. I run Floureon 2s 5200's, they work excellent, charge at 1c in 25 minutes.

If you google your question you will find the article I'm referring to which did a scientific comparison between the two. It was an excellent article!