RC Enthusiast

Rustler or E-Revo?

I've been out of the hobby for 10 years and recently acquired a 1/16 Summit. It was fun at first, but I think I made a mistake going 1/16 AND getting a top heavy SUV I'm for sure going to sell the Mini Summit and get a Rustler or E-Revo. I love turning at speed in wide arcs, jumping, bashing, etc. So heres my question...

I live in a desert and 80% of what I will be driving on is flat hard packed ground with a thin layer of loose desert sand on top of it. I feel like the Rustler would be better in regards to simplicity and maintenance, but I have a feeling it's one of those things....if I go with the Rustler I had better not ever drive an E-Revo because I will want one instantly lol. My main concern is the 4x4 vs 2WD. Is the Rustler going to be so much loose and hard to control I won't have fun with it? I know the E-Revo would be better, but for casual bashing and desert "racing" is it really worth those extra parts and cost to get the E-Revo? The higher ground clearance is not a factor for me btw. I just want a fast, stable, good handling, desert racer.

RC Enthusiast
    I want to start off by saying that I do not have an e-Revo, but I know it will handle just fine. With traxxas coming out with tsm a couple of years ago you will not have to worry about handeling at all. If your plan is to bash them then they are both great cars for it, but if you want to actually race them you would have to go with the rustler. Overall your worry of handling does not matter now with tsm but it all comes down to wanting to put the extra money out.

What a fun decision to have to make! I also don't have an E-revo, but I do have a different 4wd rc. The revo will be much MORE car in general. It will probably be faster and more expensive/complicated to fix. The thing I don't like about our 4wd rcs is that they are a LOT heavier and need more battery to power it. You could run a rustler or other 2wd trx on 2s and it will be pretty fast. I guess for me the 2wd is lighter and has the challenge/fun of a 2wd that I like a lot. They also go off jumps a lot different, although not a concern for your application. With the right tires/suspension you should be able to tune that rustler into a fantastic dessert runner.

RC Qualifier
    Why not get the new UDR? Seems to fit your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    UDR? I will search that! I saw the TSM stuff, but wasn't sure exactly how it works and it's effectiveness. I'm def leaning towards the Hustler I'm starting to think that for me, unless a vehicle has "true" locked 4WD, the added maintenance and better handling (depending on who you ask) just isn't worth it for general bashing and fun. Seems like with a regular 4x4 it will make up a hill a little further or get over some bumps a little better but worth it? Nah. I'll leave 4WD for crawling/trailing when I need "true" 4WD. Thanks for the thoughts guys!

RC Qualifier

Rustler or E-Revo?

I actually saw a Rustler VXL in action today. Itís crazy fast, light, super quiet, and seems to just float. I kid you not, I was impressed. The guy was going like 50mp/h, hit the throttle and it wheelies. Crazy. Looks like a fun rig. Buy some paddle tires for it and race it through the desert, and you wonít be disappointed. Battery seems to last forever as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome! I get paid Wednesday and you better believe it will be on order shortly after I wake up lol. Im still feeling the pull of some other brands 4x4 "rock racers"....but the simplicity of the 2WD Rustler keeps reeling me back in, and I get most "I want to do that" feelings when watching Rustler vids hauling, and taking turns verses the 4x4 rock racers/e-revo vids bashing in the rough stuff.
    Last edited by He123321; 02-27-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Bypassing the language filter...

RC Qualifier
    A 4x4 slash or stampede would be a good compromise between these two vehicles.

RC Competitor
    ERBE - for sure... The rustler will fish tail like mad under power on that type of terrain... I find it hard to get it running straight and I have no where near the power of the vxl...

ERBE - unreal handling - seriously... And while some think of it as a basher - personally I think it makes a better truggy like racer for tracks and track like jumps - desert terrain is ideal for it... And they make a drop in center differential if you find the locked center troublesome with wheelies... I suggest 300k-500k traxxas diff fluid if you do...

That's my 2 cents

Some pics to help you get to the dark side - lol

Sent using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Wow! I def think I would be happy with the ERBE thats for sure. I'm just so into simplicity with everything in my life, not sure if I want to deal with the bigger vehicle/4WD and such. Although it could be a labor of love....Darn you! I mean theres no doubt the ERBE would do just as good and more than likely better on any type of terrain...especially if I go into some rough stuff. We do have some hills/construction sites around here...it WOULD be nice to not have to stick to a certain type of terrain thats for sure...decisions, decisions....
    Last edited by SpeedDemon8; 02-25-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon8 View Post
    Wow! I def think I would be happy with the ERBE thats for sure. I'm just so into simplicity with everything in my life, not sure if I want to deal with the bigger vehicle/4WD and such. Although it could be a labor of love....Darn you! I mean theres no doubt the ERBE would do just as good and more than likely better on any type of terrain...especially if I go into some rough stuff. We do have some hills/construction sites around here...it WOULD be nice to not have to stick to a certain type of terrain thats for sure...decisions, decisions....
    I would get the new E-Revo 2.0 if I were you. It has very durable components, 4WD, and awesome tires. I think it'll be available in a few days - on the page it says it will be available Late February.
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

RC Racer

Question

I'm def leaning towards the Hustler
    Isn't that a magazine?

Ahem, I started with looking into the Rustler but then I got to thinking about the same thing you are!! Stability and low maintenance. I finally went with the Slash. Wider stance and just looked more stable.

I'm kinda with dronenewbie on the UDR but that's a much higher priced vehicle. Kinda like a much larger Slash. Soooo, my two cents is a Slash!!!

E-REVOII-589.99
    UDR-799.99
    SLASH VXL W/TSM-339.99

You do the math.
    Last edited by RC WARRIOR; 02-25-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Slash 58076-4HWN
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler B.

RC Enthusiast
    The new ERBE is definitely still an option. Another thing I am over-analyzing is the "fact" that a Rustler would actually be more fun on flat/boring terrain. I would have no desire whatsoever to drive a ERBE Beast Monster in my big, flat, desert backyard. The Rustler on the other hand would be a blast right in my own backyard. I would totally be into setting up a little figure 8 track or something and just practice driving on the limits of traction. I feel like the Rustler is a little more versatile in that regard...backyard fun, then I can still go out and have some hill/construction site fun too. I feel like I would only want to drive the ERBE on rough/big terrain only...which would be a freaking blast for sure, but I would be limited to that type of terrain in the sense that I personally would not have fun with it on the flats...which is 80% of my local terrain.

RC Racer
    Looks like you made your choice! Have fun! !
    Slash 58076-4HWN
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler B.

RC Racer
    I have both now 3 years in after a 10+ year hiatus from RC. I started with a Rustler XL5, added a lot of mods, then got the Erevo and added a lot of mods.

IMO, the Rustler is best on the factory tall gearing on 2S. It is fast and will give you no problems. The next logical step is to go to 3s packs and then you will break a lot more parts and the platform starts showing its limitations.

The Erevo is far more capable but it is more expensive and the learning curve is a lot steeper. The Erevo on 6S is no joke. It is fast, goes over everything and turns pretty well too.

If I were you I'd hold off until the reviews on the new Erevo started coming in. If it turns out to be as stout as it looks like it could be then it'll be worth every penny.

ERBE just messing around. 4S, hard tires, only 1800kv (Castle 1512) here. The Rustler is never coming close to this, and I have one of those too.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-26-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    http://<a href="https://youtu.be/IE7...E7E2JPfUis</a>
    ERBE just messing around. 4S, hard tires, only 1800kv (Castle 1512) here. The Rustler is never coming close to this, and I have one of those too.
    Link is no good. Looks like you doubled up on the http
    Slash 58076-4HWN
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler B.

Quote Originally Posted by RC WARRIOR View Post
    Link is no good. Looks like you doubled up on the http
    Fixed now?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Racer
    Fixed now?
    Negative! Goose(TG)
    Slash 58076-4HWN
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler B.

RC Racer
    Fixed now?
    Bingo! All fixed!
    Slash 58076-4HWN
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler B.

RC Enthusiast
    I still haven't pulled the trigger yet...definitely leaning towards the ERBE2 now....can we make that a thing? lol. The thing about me having mainly flat desert is still a factor, but no doubt the ERBE2 would drive better on it than the Rustler AND it's in an entirely different class as a basher when I want to drive a little and find a bash spot.

RC Qualifier

Rustler or E-Revo?

I still haven't pulled the trigger yet...definitely leaning towards the ERBE2 now....can we make that a thing? lol. The thing about me having mainly flat desert is still a factor, but no doubt the ERBE2 would drive better on it than the Rustler AND it's in an entirely different class as a basher when I want to drive a little and find a bash spot.
    Or if you buy a very nice and clean used ERBE, you can have fun AND save a bunch of money. Thereís s very nice one in listed in the Traxxas Market Place right now....

Super clean ERBE with box & lots of extras!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

Last edited by dronenewbie; 03-01-2018 at 01:13 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The Rustler takes a better driver to really use its full potential. Way to go btw putting your ride in this post. I checked it out. Super clean. I just got done building an X-Maxx though. I just donít love the styling of the ERBE

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the thoughts and the shameless marketplace plug lol. I have made my final decision!.....

EREVO 2.0!

It's def cool thinking about having a simple 2WD basher, but there is no argument against the fact the EREVO will out perform the Rustler in any category...even in my backyard desert race track. I won't mind the occasional parts replacement or more work/maintenance required due to the 4WD, knowing that I have a top of the line racer-basher machine when all is said and done. Go big or go home, right?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the thoughts and the shameless marketplace plug lol. I have made my final decision!.....

EREVO 2.0!

It's def cool thinking about having a simple 2WD basher, but there is no argument against the fact the EREVO will out perform the Rustler in any category...even in my backyard desert race track. I won't mind the occasional parts replacement or more work/maintenance required due to the 4WD, knowing that I have a top of the line racer-basher machine when all is said and done. Go big or go home, right?

Wow....25 posts and no one suggested the obvious? You need BOTH!!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Wow....25 posts and no one suggested the obvious? You need BOTH!!!
    I suspect itís because nobody wanted to scare SpeedDemon8 with the addiction that is about to occur. (I say this as I contemplate getting my own Slash to run alongside the Slash my son is getting for himself soon.)
    New TRX-4 owner as of Jan 2018!

RC Racer

EREVO 2.0!

Good choice. The Rustler is a fun machine, but the Erevo is just bad. It doesnt just roll over the terrain, it kills it. Whatever kind of ground youre riding on, it will be throwing a lot more of it in the air.

RC poster
    While I cannot wait for my E-revo 2.0 I have to say we upgraded my son's Rustler to VXL and it's simply awesome fun! Granted the jumps won't be the same, but he sure knows how to beat the snot out of it and yet it continues to survive with a few band-aids here and there.

RC Enthusiast
    So I got the Rustler in about a week ago. I posted another thread about my first run...I broke the tranny A-arm "inboard" mount thing. I ordered the RPM hybrid tranny case that has those mounts separate and installed it just last night with a lot of other RPM parts. Front and back A-arms, shock caps (traxxas), RPM gear cover....ok not a lot ,but some. Drove it for the second time today in my backyard and BAM! Broke the left rear bearing carrier It's all good though, it actually hit the wall the exact same time of way I did lats time and all the RPM parts held up great! The bearing carriers are on the way now...I was using a 6 cell NiMH and was having a blast! I can't wait to try out the 2s Lipo...I mean...of course I can wait...I have to until these carriers get in....LOL. The ERBE2.0 is definitely still on my radar thats for sure.

RC poster
    I know this is an old thread but this helped me out on the way to my local hobby shop. I was undecided between both and walked out with the E-Revo 2.0. Took it out on a nature trail with my 2 year old. It's an absolute blast and crushes any terrain, and this is just on 4S! Can't wait to drop in the 6s and see what it can do!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshin159 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but this helped me out on the way to my local hobby shop. I was undecided between both and walked out with the E-Revo 2.0. Took it out on a nature trail with my 2 year old. It's an absolute blast and crushes any terrain, and this is just on 4S! Can't wait to drop in the 6s and see what it can do!
    Be careful, on 6s the power is ungodly. If you aren't careful you will absolutely regret it.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    They're both fun, but it's two different beasts. The Revo will be more capable and agile. It can be toned down in training mode and by using packs with a low s count. The Revo will be more durable at similar speeds.