Thread: Shock oil

RC poster

Question Shock oil

I was wondering what people are using for shock oil as an alternative to the RC industries shock oil.

In the recent "Greases" thread people are providing alternatives to differential greases like Lucas Red N tacky and other heavy duty grease types.

What's everyone using for shock oil?

Traxxas Marshal
    Shock oil is cheap, just use the right stuff. It's not like grease where you can use something off from a shelf in an auto parts store.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

The RC industry pretty much hit the nail on the head with silicon oil. It is super cheap and very consistent with it's weights. I suggest sticking with the same company for the most part. I don't know from experience but rumors say some companies weights a thinner or thicker than others. I have only bought and used TLR Team Losi Racing shock oil and haven't had a reason to switch yet.

Try epoxy putty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

Plus silicon shock oil is perfect to oil bearings with after theyre cleaned and dry. Pop out seals, I use a foaming window cleaner, spinning as I spray to clean, blow out or let sit, when dry pop one seal in, flip over and put a few drops in, pop other seal in and good to go.... (Ive used from 25w to 40w to lube bearings, running in water a lot, Id suggest lith grease.)

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

We each have our ways and silicon oil wouldn't be a bad idea. I like to soak my bearing overnite in Mobile One Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30 whenever I clean them. It has an additive that helps bond the oil to metal parts. Plus it is cheap 1qt will last you a lifetime just keep some in a resealable tupperware container and then it is reusable. I have serviced my bearing weeks later and still have oil behind the rubber seals.

RC poster
    I was drinking last night and broke an a arm and lost one shocks oil and diaphragm. Skate park accident. Not THAT drunk! I swapped all 4 to canola oil. I ran one battery. It’s wicked light! I went Galaxy Hobby and got 30 weight. I really don’t want to use motor oil. The stuff at the hobby store goes from 15 to 50 weight for rc shocks and it’s safer it seems. I was bottoming our on the canola at the skate park and at some point I over tightened the gear mesh on a landing I paid $4 for 30 weight and used 25% of it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    Try epoxy putty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is there a way to block or report people that comment like this?

Edit: Never mind. I found a way for both.

I would think that motor oil will break down much quicker than silicone oil. Especially for bearings. OH wait a second... Is this thread about bearings or shock oil. Or maybe it is about locking a diff. I think zypher was just trying to be funny. ha ha he he haw haw... Stick with shock oil, that's what it is made for. Why anyone would use anything other than, makes no sense. 40 all the way for me.
    Last edited by lektro; 02-26-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Bad zy.per...

but it really did make me LOL!