Painting my first Proline body

Hey guys I ordered a monster Fusion Proline body for my slash ultimate 4x4 LCG it will be here Monday. I have never painted in RC body I have no artistic skills or abilities. I plan on planning it three colors blue being the primary color black being the secondary color and then gunmetal being an accent color. I was hoping to get some pointers and tips also what paints work the best.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    The biggest thing is prep! Wash the inside really good with Dawn dishwashing soap, dry it with a good microfiber towel that doesnít leave lint. Prep is everything!
    Paint needs to be compatible with these bodyís, meaning it needs to be flexible. Also you will need a black backer paint that will be the last coat and will help protect your paint job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main thing is to use proper paint made for lexan bodies... polycarbonate paint.
    Personally, I use Tamiya, Duratrax, and Spazstix polycarbonate rattle can paints.
    I've also used Pactra (showing my age with that brand).
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Chopperguy has you going in the right direction prep is key, my advice would be look at some YouTube videos lots of good info there too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

Yup... clean in the sink with Dawn. Dry well and use gloves when applying your masks to avoid getting finger oils on the surfaces to be painted.

When painting, use multiple light coats (dusting) of paint and allow proper time to allow the paint to set between coats.

Read the cans of paint you use to get the manufacturer's instructions (manufacturer's websites also offer proper tips how to use their paints).

Once all done and dried, compress the suspension with the body on your rig and see where the body could touch the tires and chassis. Where it could touch, cut and stick aluminum tape!

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Use a quality masking tape

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I really suggest using liquid mask. I donít do complex stuff, but HemiStorm on youtube did some amazing things with it. I got a quart of it for 15 dollars. You can get smaller amounts too. You just wash, put on ~3 coats let it dry for 24 hours and trim and paint.

Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

Lexan that's fun that's what we use for the windows in prison I work at.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    I really suggest using liquid mask. I donít do complex stuff, but HemiStorm on youtube did some amazing things with it. I got a quart of it for 15 dollars. You can get smaller amounts too. You just wash, put on ~3 coats let it dry for 24 hours and trim and paint.

I used that stuff years ago on model cars, it would be better on areas with compound curves. I'll have to try and get some.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    All solid tips!

I'd like to add:

- Scuff the inside of the body with a grey scotchbrite scuff pad for better adhesion
    - choose the right day to paint! Preferable 70ļ and low humidity.
    - after painting, finish off with covering white or silver. The factories do it.
    - Use a 3M respirator, long sleeves, and eye protection. You do not want to breathe this stuff! ketones are nasty...very very nasty. i'm sure there will be people here who say..."I spray bodies all the time with no lung or skin protection"...that's an anecdote and not good advice. Read the cans and take their warnings seriously.