Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Last week's update that I forgot to post here:

I was rushing to get my TF2 finished for a Sunday run. The Sunday run never happened due to weather so I got some time to work on this truck.

The stock servo is kinda weak out on the trail. I would go on to discover that giving it more juice helps out. I'll explain later. Anyway, I bought a Savox 1230SG servo during the 15% off sale as well as the Traxxas metal servo horn. I chose this horn because it's a direct fit. There doesn't seem to be any other direct fit servo horns at this point.

I also bought the pushbar that I may or may not use.

As I stated earlier in the thread I bought the Castle Mamba X ESC to try in brushed mode in this truck. Well it turns out I couldn't find a good place for it. It doesn't fit in the stock location and it's heavier than I expected so I resorted to the good old faithful HobbyWing WP 1080. I stocked up on these during their sale so I have a couple of them lying around at home.

Let's open up the receiver box to remove the stock ESC. Well look at this rat's nest. It will be "fun" getting all these wires back in without pinching them in the receiver cover.

I actually had to cut the servo plug off of the stock ESC since it was threaded through a wire holder ring on the truck and it was impossible for me to get out without removing the receiver box. Instead of doing this I just snipped off the servo plug because I'll probably never use this ESC anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the ESC except I absolutely hated the reverse delay. There were a few times during my first trail run when I tired to "save" a rollover by using reverse and it wouldn't work since there's a "safety" delay built into the ESC. It turns out the internal BEC is also weak. It's probably set at 4.6V.

Here's the HobbyWing WP 1080 installed in the stock location. Fits perfect. As I stated earlier, the BEC in the stock servo is weak. I found this out when I installed the 1080 and it made the stock servo fly. It worked so well, in fact, that I forgot to install the Savox servo and I buttoned up the rats nest of a receiver box. Instead of opening the receiver box back up I think I'm just going to run this stock servo next time and see how it works with the 6.0V from the WP 1080 ESC. I think I set the internal BEC at 6.0V because I had read the micro servos can't handle more. I have yet to verify this.

The rock light locations are a cool touch, but I don't see myself ever using them. I used one of these spots to 3D print and mount a cover that contains a spot for a neodymium magnet to hold my body clips. I first tried this on my Bomber and I love it. The magnet keeps a firm hold on the body clips and it lessens the chance of losing them out on the trail during batter changes and/or repairs. Ideally the magnet is positioned so you can put the clips on the body, but I didn't want to do that on the Bronco. I didn't want to add weight up high nor did I want to damage the body with hot glue. Technically, I can also put the body clips underneath the wheel well and they'll hold there. The battery is that strong.

Here's the Traxxas pushbar. I think Traxxas made a small oversight with this pushbar so I fixed it. It's all in the details.

Before:

After:

I finally convinced my dad to move up to the SCX10 II. He's been abusing a Dingo for years now, but the SCX10 II went on sale and I convinced him it was time to get one. Here are a few comparison photos of the SCX10 II RTR and TRX-4 Bronco.

You can see the pushbar installed on the Bronco as well as my change from black oxide to stainless steel screws on the pushbar. I'm a fan of the way it looks so it's stay on at least for now.

The SCX10 II RTR was, unfortunately, dead. It seems like the wires on the AE-5 ESC weren't soldered correctly and the power kept cutting out. So this the Cherokee sat in my car while he trailed his old Dingo.

We had a rare, very nice, spring-like weekend and I was able to do some trailing both days! :mrgreen:

On Saturday we did a test session on our "test rocks" with various vehicles. One of the vehicles I took along for testing was the Bronco. It was my first chance to run the truck since installing the SSD knuckles. They helped substantially and I was very pleased with the mod. It crawled steeper inclines and overall was more planted on the rocks. I'm still torn about adding a little weight in the rear. I guess more test runs will have to be done before I make that decision.

I did lunch the stock servo this weekend. The truck didn't take any particularly hard tumbles, that I remember. I was crawling up a big test rock where there shouldn't have been too much strain on the servo when the failure happened. It started getting weak and then sounded like some of the gears got stripped. I didn't get too much time on the truck before it failed. Overall I highly recommend the SSD knuckle weights! "thumbsup"

Here you can see my Bronco on top of one of the test rocks. This rock has stopped and even broken many trucks in its day. My Bronco make it up this rock without the knuckle weights, but I had to be very careful when picking my line and I needed to use a lot of momentum. The truck crawled this rock much easier and in more spots with the SSD knuckles installed.

You can see OSRC's incredible Deadbolt project climbing up the rock and it gives you an idea of how steep this rock is in certain sections.

RC Racer
    love those mini cinder blocks !

RC Qualifier
    I got the Land Rover TRX-4 if I would of known TRAXXAS was going to come out with a Bronco TRX-4 I would of waited....

Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    love those mini cinder blocks !
    Thanks! Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by grave75 View Post
    I got the Land Rover TRX-4 if I would of known TRAXXAS was going to come out with a Bronco TRX-4 I would of waited....
    I'm glad I waited. I'm not a huge fan of Land Rovers to begin with and the Defender body is a massive tank!

The Bronco is the best looking scaler crawler body of all time IMO.

Is it possible to adjust steering end points with the stock transmitter?

I had the Savox SA-1230SG servo and Traxxas metal servo horn waiting to be installed to replace my dead, stock servo. I was awaiting delivery of the Yeah Racing aluminum servo mount which arrived on Monday. I was tipped off by this Yeah Racing plate by LSXGMC. On his thread he mentioned that this plate has obround holes in one side to accommodate all servo sizes. If you use the stock servo plate with a Savox servo you have to modify the tabs on the servo. I didn't want to do this since the tabs are plastic. The Yeah Racing plate was the perfect solution. It is a very nice piece and does exactly what it was designed to do. But it was a big paint to install. The servo plate is in between the frame rails so you have to remove the front bumper mount, front plate and then loosen up the frame screws so you can spread it apart. I missed the screw that mounts that Panhard bar to the frame also goes through the skid plate.

Under all this stuff you will find the servo mounting plate.

Here's the bottom view. You can see the servo mounted to the stock, plastic mounting plate. That's where the Yeah Racing aluminum piece needs to go.

Here the servo and all of the stuff in the way of the plate has been removed. The frame screws have been loosened so I can spread the rails apart.

I didn't have much patience to start when I decided to tackle this and it only got worse as I went. The servo is in, but I didn't even remember to take photos.

Once the servo was in I had to remove the two screws holding the shocks and lower links onto the axle. You have to drop the axle in order to install the servo horn on the servo.

The servo is strong though. Now I have to figure out how to adjust end points so I don't kill the servo. Is it possible to adjust EPA on the stock transmitter?

I ordered the Traxxas Link Wireless Module last night to set the EPA on the transmitter. And it's guaranteed to be here by Saturday. "thumbsup"

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    I ordered the Traxxas Link Wireless Module last night to set the EPA on the transmitter. And it's guaranteed to be here by Saturday. "thumbsup"

It's really nice to have. Also how does the SCX10 II compare to the TRX-4 for you? I have both but I'm yet to run them at the same time. Both of mine are stock, and the SCX10 II is a kit version.
    TRX-4, Sl4sh (Race), Sla2h LCG, Sla2h, SCX10 II

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    It's really nice to have. Also how does the SCX10 II compare to the TRX-4 for you? I have both but I'm yet to run them at the same time. Both of mine are stock, and the SCX10 II is a kit version.
    Well the SCX10 II is my dad's. He tried to run it Saturday and the ESC was defective out of the box. People that complain about Traxxas electronics aren't great, but they should try Axial.

I am thinking about getting the SCX10 II kit while it's on sale.

Well the SCX10 II is my dad's. He tried to run it Saturday and the ESC was defective out of the box. People that complain about Traxxas electronics aren't great, but they should try Axial.

I am thinking about getting the SCX10 II kit while it's on sale.
    Personally I've never had a problem with either Axial or Traxxas electronics (I had the castle/axial ESC in my SCX10 II). The first ESC and motor fitted into my SCX10 II was an XL-5 and a Titan 12T. The SCX10 II now runs a Titan 21T and the Castle/Axial ESC.

RC poster
    Jato,

Thanks so much for posting your journey here with the Bronco. I'm totally new to crawling and Traxxas, but not RC. Mostly fly Heli's, but on days where the wind is too high or even between flights while LiPo's are charging...one can enjoy a crawler.

I was on the fence about getting a Bronco, but pulled the trigger on one yesterday. Very nice machine.

Looking forward to more of your posts as you get more trail time.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbok View Post
    Jato,

Thanks so much for posting your journey here with the Bronco. I'm totally new to crawling and Traxxas, but not RC. Mostly fly Heli's, but on days where the wind is too high or even between flights while LiPo's are charging...one can enjoy a crawler.

I was on the fence about getting a Bronco, but pulled the trigger on one yesterday. Very nice machine.

Looking forward to more of your posts as you get more trail time.
    Thank you for the kind words! I will definitely post new photos when I get it back on the trail. I'm in the process of replacing the servo and then I'll sure a trail run will follow sooner rather than later.

One thing I did while installing the servo was getting rid of this thing. It was loose on my motor and I could easily slide it all around. After the fact I found out that it's apparently called a torque ring. I had no idea. As a kid I would stick metal on the outside of the motors on my RCs hoping that I'd see a performance gain. I never did and I thought I was wasting my time. But apparently I was doing a real thing. Theory is great, but whether or not it affects the performance of the motor, in reality, is to be determined. Another reason I removed it is so I could install a heatsink because I've heard these motors can get hot. Will it help? I'm not sure. Will it hurt? Definitely not. Will it stay or will the torque ring go back on? Again, TBD. The brass terds are the bushings leftover from my MST CMX upgrade not from the TRX-4.

Here's the servo installed. The Savox orange looks as gaudy as ever. Please, please get a new color Savox. How about making all of your servos part of your Black line? I bought this 1230SG servo during Savox's rare 15% off sale. It's claimed to have 499.9 oz at 6V so that should be plenty for me. After my initial test drive I'm very happy with it.

Here you can see the servo installed with the Traxxas metal servo horn. Good to go. The horn isn't the clamping style that we love to love, but it should hold up just fine.

Lastly, here is an overview of the chassis. You can see the black heatsink installed in place of the torque ring. You can also see the wiring from the servo. I had to use a 3" or 4" servo extension. It's getting to the point where I have to use servo extensions all too often on my scalers. I hate using them because they are often crappy quality wires unless you buy the expensive ones.

RC poster
    Question on those Ottsix Racing Voodoo KLR 1.9" Crawler Tires. They make different compounds and they make different inserts. Gold (ultra soft), Silver (soft) or Blue (medium soft) compounds, and heavy / light truck foams. Which ones did you settle on given the vehicle weight?

200th POST

Lastly, here is an overview of the chassis. You can see the black heatsink installed in place of the torque ring.
    This is going to sound really dumb, but what exactly is a torque ring?

RC poster
    Question on those Ottsix Racing Voodoo KLR 1.9" Crawler Tires. They make different compounds and they make different inserts. Gold (ultra soft), Silver (soft) or Blue (medium soft) compounds, and heavy / light truck foams. Which ones did you settle on given the vehicle weight?
    I assume these were the ones you used?

https://www.ottsix.com/product-page/...s-not-included

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    200th POST

This is going to sound really dumb, but what exactly is a torque ring?
    Not a dumb question at all. I didn't know about a torque ring before either. Or, just as likely, I knew and forgot about it because my memory is as bad as a 1980's PC.

The ring in the first photo. It being on the outside of the motor can, in theory, creates more torque at the expense of a little RPM. Google has a lot more info if you care to read about it further.
    I assume these were the ones you used?

https://www.ottsix.com/product-page/...s-not-included
    Yes, I have those in Silver. They work well. I'm not sure how much softer Golds are. I also forget which foams I have in mine. Honestly, they are overpriced IMO. So if you can find a different tire that you like that might be a cheaper route to go.

After installing the Savox 1230 servo I wanted to set the end points, because as we know, incorrect EPA will kill a servo. The stock transmitter doesn't have this option. But one awesome thing about the stock transmitter is that you can buy the Traxxas Link Wireless Module to give the RTR radio more advanced features. Apparently you can do the same without the module, but you need to use beeps or lights and Castle ESCs have ruined me to the point where I never want to deal with that again.

Great packaging as always from Traxxas.

Here's the back of the stock cover on the transmitter next to the back of the Traxxas Link.

Here the Traxxas Link is installed in the stock RTR transmitters. Fits like a glove as expected.

This Traxxas Link connects to the Traxxas Link app on your phone via Bluetooth. It connects instantly. I've never seen Bluetooth connect so quickly.

The app is somewhat confusing because there are lots of different screens and I got confused while trying to set the end points. There is a screen that lets you set servo throw. I thought this was the only way to set end points at first. But in a different screen you can set right end points and left end points. It worked as expected.

Another cool feature that was news to me, probably because I didn't read the manual, is the Multifunction knob. I set mine, via the app, to control "Throttle Sensitivity". This is like expo seen on other transmitters. I can set it to 0% and have full throttle instantly or I can set it to 100% and it takes a lot of throttle to get the truck moving. This will really help out on the trails when trying to climb smoothly.

For around $30 shipped I'm very happy with this module at this point. It saved me from having to buy another receiver for one of my other radio systems or another transmitter system.

RC poster
    Does the app work with Android? I heard it does not work well unless on iPhone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rfeldhege View Post
    Does the app work with Android? I heard it does not work well unless on iPhone.
    I'm on Android - Samsung Note 4. It works fine.

It's been a while since I touched this Bronco because of my SCX10 II build and the continuation of my TF2 build, but I had a chance to get it out this weekend...finally!

We have been absolutely bombarded with rain in the Northeast this spring and summer so I haven't been able to get out on the trails nearly as much as I've wanted.

After we made plans to go trailing I made a late night decision to install the rear Underdrive gears that I've had laying around for months now. It's so nice how Traxxas has the name "Underdrive" and gearing stamped right into the gears. No having to count teeth!

Because of the complexity of the TRX-4 axles with the portals I almost decided against doing this upgrade late at night. But I decided to forge ahead and I'm glad I did because it was extremely simple - much simpler than it first appeared.

For step 1 I removed the links and the driveshaft from the rear axle so that it was only attached by the remote locking diff cable. I didn't want to have to struggle to get to the diff cover screws which are screwed in from the back. Then you have to remove the portals and axles so the diff pulls out. Each portal is held on by 2 screws...2 screws! So simple to remove them. More great engineering by Traxxas. It literally takes more time to get into the portals than it does to remove them.

So after the axle was free I removed the diff cover. You can see the diff assembly as well as the plastic, remote diff locker. Would you look at that complicated mess?! Or is it...

Here is the diff removed from the axle housing. It isn't too bad when you look at it by itself and breaking it down by part. We just aren't used to seeing much more than a spool in scalers. From left to right you have the bearing, ring gear, diff cup that contains the spider gears and the engagement dogs for the locking diff, another bearing, the locking slider, and another bearing. Simple and efficient really.

I separated the diff from the assembly so I could replace the ring gear. Notice the 4 "tabs" on the stock ring gear. These go into the recesses on the plastic diff cup to hold the spider gear shafts into place. Keep that in mind.

Here is the underdrive ring gear next to the stock gear. It doesn't have the 4 tabs. I was surprised to see this. And there aren't any extra parts included to keep the spider gear shafts located in the diff cup. I was really surprised by this. Usually there is something on the diff gear or elsewhere that keeps the spider gear shafts in place.

Here is the underdrive pinion gear compared to the stock pinion gear. Notice it has the gearing and the word "Underdrive" stamped right on it as well. Awesome touch!

After this I buttoned it all back together and did a bench test. Everything worked fine. I should have taken more photos, but I didn't.

This whole process took only 20 minutes or so and some of that time was spend researching if there was anything supposed to be included with the Underdrive gear set to hold the spider gears in place. I didn't see anything and everything worked like it was supposed to during my bench test and the trail run the next day.

So the next morning it was dreary and the forecast wasn't looking good, but OSRC and I were both anxious to get out so we rolled the dice and went trailing at our favorite spot. Thankfully, the weather was fine other than a few stray drops making their way all the way through the trees to get us. The storm held off until we left and then it poured on my way home. Sometimes Mother Nature does cooperate.

We had a long trail run. We were on the trail for at least 3 hours and the underdrive gears worked fine. No issues with the new gear not having those tabs I mentioned. It's still very odd to me, but it works so be it I guess. The underdrive certainly helped crawling performance. I'm not sure I'm going to add overdrive to the front. I think that would make straight line, second gear performance suffer too much. To be determined I guess.

I know what this truck needs next - an LED light kit.

Oh and the quality of these less than ideal light photos remind me I need a new phone.

This is about as "real or RC" as I get.

My Bronco next to OSRC's Defender. I can't say I've ever seen a D110 in person, but I have seen a D90 and an old Bronco. We were discussing the scaleness of the size of the trucks and Traxxas seems to have gotten it pretty close. The Defender body is noticeably narrower, but it also has the longer wheelbase.

More random shots:

Oh and here are random oddities/coolness from the trail.

This is my favorite tree. From this angle it looks like a levitating tree. In reality it's a "Z-shaped" tree. It grows vertically out of the ground, then does a hard, nearly 90 right for a few feet, and then continues to grow vertically. It's a really cool freak of nature.

And this boat trailer looking thing we found in the water. I'm thinking it might be remnants of when this was a mine or quarry, but I'm not sure. When I showed my dad the photo he thought it might be a "derrick" of which I'm not familiar with.

Great pics of the trucks jato!!!!!! Cant wait to get a crawler. Savin up now lol. That tree looks like an elephant trunk from that veiw as well lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    Great pics of the trucks jato!!!!!! Cant wait to get a crawler. Savin up now lol. That tree looks like an elephant trunk from that veiw as well lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
    Keep saving! It'll be worth it. You'll love the TRX-4!

My one friend also said it looks like an elephant trunk.

Now I have a question for you guys. I replaced the stock XL-5 ESC with the HobbyWing WP 1080 ESC. Now the cruise control doesn't work. Is this a function of the ESC or should it still work with a different ESC?

Is this a function of the ESC or should it still work with a different ESC?
    Jato, the cruise function should still work, whenever programing the radio settings whether it be endpoints, sub-trims, or expo, the multi function knob will be active for that setting when finished. It sounds like you just need to reassign the multi function knob to the cruise function. Since you have the Traxxas Link module in the radio, go to the drive effects screen in the app, scroll to the bottom and touch the multi function knob next to cruise control. Should be good to go. If you ever want to reassign the multi knob, go back to this screen and touch the multi knob next to whichever function you want to set the knob to, say throttle expo for example, then you will be able to adjust the throttle curve on the fly. It's super easy, I'm glad I installed mine early on. Hope this helps man!
    Last edited by cozyFozy; 06-26-2018 at 11:36 PM.
    9.7mph 3s TRX-4 Land Rover

Awesome Build Man! You are making me regret getting a SCX10 with that Ford Bronco Body! I'm a Chevy Fan myself, but the Ford Bronco is an awesome truck.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cozyFozy View Post
    Jato, the cruise function should still work, whenever programing the radio settings whether it be endpoints, sub-trims, or expo, the multi function knob will be active for that setting when finished. It sounds like you just need to reassign the multi function knob to the cruise function. Since you have the Traxxas Link module in the radio, go to the drive effects screen in the app, scroll to the bottom and touch the multi function knob next to cruise control. Should be good to go. If you ever want to reassign the multi knob, go back to this screen and touch the multi knob next to whichever function you want to set the knob to, say throttle expo for example, then you will be able to adjust the throttle curve on the fly. It's super easy, I'm glad I installed mine early on. Hope this helps man!
    That helps a lot! Good to hear that it should still work. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    Awesome Build Man! You are making me regret getting a SCX10 with that Ford Bronco Body! I'm a Chevy Fan myself, but the Ford Bronco is an awesome truck.
    Thank you for the kind words! I am also a Chevy fan, but you can't deny Ford made some good looking vehicles especially the older trucks!

One day you'll have a TRX-4 sitting alongside your SCX10!

Thank you for the kind words! I am also a Chevy fan, but you can't deny Ford made some good looking vehicles especially the older trucks!
    Haha, yes. Ford has some great looking older trucks. Even the newer Trucks are looking Good. But I'll take a GMC Sierra Elevation any day. ;P

RC poster
    Looks great. I might get one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha, yes. Ford has some great looking older trucks. Even the newer Trucks are looking Good. But I'll take a GMC Sierra Elevation any day. ;P
    For the first time in a long time I think Ford trucks are better looking than Chevys and the Mustang is way better looking than Chevy. They need to clean house and hire a new design team and come up with a new design theme. That's my two cents anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashguy09 View Post
    Looks great. I might get one
    If you like trailing and/or scale crawling you should. You'll love it!

For the first time in a long time I think Ford trucks are better looking than Chevys and the Mustang is way better looking than Chevy. They need to clean house and hire a new design team and come up with a new design theme. That's my two cents anyway.
    Really? I actually think that the Chevrolets have come out with a great new truck and Camaro. But hey, Ford and Chevy are good companies. They both have their good points, and bad points.
    Anyway, Excited to see where the road leads for your Ford Bronco. Looks awesome!

P.S. I'm sure the Road will have many bumps in the way, but your Ford Bronco looks like it won't mind.

Really? I actually think that the Chevrolets have come out with a great new truck and Camaro. But hey, Ford and Chevy are good companies. They both have their good points, and bad points.
    Anyway, Excited to see where the road leads for your Ford Bronco. Looks awesome!

P.S. I'm sure the Road will have many bumps in the way, but your Ford Bronco looks like it won't mind.
    Interesting how Chevy and Ford worked together on the 10 speed automatic transmission and now it's offered in both the Camaro and Mustang.

Thank you! The Bronco is a ton of fun. I don't really have any upgrades planned for it now except LED lights. It's a great truck as I have it.

Interesting how Chevy and Ford worked together on the 10 speed automatic transmission and now it's offered in both the Camaro and Mustang.

Thank you! The Bronco is a ton of fun. I don't really have any upgrades planned for it now except LED lights. It's a great truck as I have it.
    Yup, my '18 F-150 has that 10-speed, it is smooth as butter, and I am getting 22mpg with the 3.5L.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12