Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jato Got a Bronco

When the TRX-4 came out I really had no interest in it. I'm not a huge Land Rover fan and I just didn't feel that I needed all of the extra complications of 2 speed and remote locking diffs. Then I saw OSRC's on a trail run and I started getting the bug. Seeing a truck in person is usually all it takes to pique my interest. :****:

When the Bronco body was announced I fell in love. I'm a Chevy fan, but I love old Fords as well and the 78-79 Bronco was a great year.

It's tax time and a nice refund got me searching for a Bronco. They were sold out everywhere online and nobody was guaranteeing that I'd get one even with preorder. That's what I started looking locally and I found one shop that had a red and black bronco. The sunshine scheme is way too "That '70s Show" for me. They were cool enough to hold it for me until I could get there Saturday. So I adopted this shiny new black and red model on Saturday. I'm a big fan of the red and black color combo so it's perfect for me.

I don't intend on doing much to this other than adding some mild performance upgrades - wheels, tires, and maybe portal or knuckle weights. And I'll upgrade the electronics as they fail. Everything, even the much maligned steering servo proved fine in my backyard test.

These wheels are excellent. I hope somebody makes some beadlocks that look like this.

The tires even feel great for RTR tires. They are definitely the best RTR crawling tires I've ever gotten my hands on.

I was surprised by how heavy this truck was out of the box. It's a really solid truck. It's stout and screams well-built. No other crawler that I've owned has felt this solid and well built. I'm really looking forward to getting this out on the trails if and when it ever stops raining.

Awesome!!!

I REALLY want the body for my TRX4, hoping Traxxas will list it on their site soon.

Are the head and tail lenses LED ready?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Awesome!!!

I REALLY want the body for my TRX4, hoping Traxxas will list it on their site soon.

Thanks!

That's a good question! I actually don't know. I didn't have much time to play with it this weekend. I would think they are LED ready, but I will check when I get home. I'm hoping Traxxas releases a Bronco specific lighting kit soon.

Somebody on Facebook did point out that the body does not have molded body lines. The door lines are in the decals only. That is a bummer, but the rest of the body is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Awesome!!!

I did a little more digging. Judging by these photos from Traxxas I would say that the Bronco body is, indeed, LED ready. The only lights that I'm not sure about are the brake lights. It's hard to tell if they are lit in the photo below. I am guessing they are though. It would be odd for Traxxas to make every light except the tail lights LED capable.

Now I hope Traxxas is quick to release the light kit for the Bronco body.

Cool, man. I'm thinking hard about getting the Bronco as my first TRX-4, also. The Land Rover D110 still has a strong appeal for me, but I'm hearing the Bronco has improved suspension geometry, providing a much better RTR experience. I would totally accept the need for some hop-ups if I got the D110, though, being used to RTR scale trucks' inherent weaknesses. However, price for price comparisons are showing the Bronco as a winner.

I did another backyard run last night. I really can't wait to get this truck out on the trail, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be gushing over it. It's so well designed, so well built, and it just works! I'm so tempted to take it out on the trail 100% stock - even the wheels and tires.

The portals obviously give a lot of ground clearance and this truck goes over things where my Ascender and other trucks will drag the skid plate. You still have to pick your lines or the knuckles on the portals will get hung up.

The truck also crawls so well even with unlocked diffs. I don't understand it. All of the climbs seen in these photos were made with unlocked diffs.

I modeled a low center of gravity battery tray last night as well as a scale accessory. I have to 3D print them and see how they fit.

Here are some more photos.

Well the Nor'easter put a damper on my plans to go trailing. And we're supposed to get another Nor'easter in the next day or so.

I have my first upgrades before I even got a chance to take the Bronco out on the trail. I'm not sure I'm going to install them yet though.

SSD portal weights and underdrive gears for the rear.

I love the stock wheels. I like the hole style wheels. My S-10 had something similar and I loved them. Because of this I was trying to find aftermarket beadlock wheels that kept the stock look. After a bunch of searching I decided on the GCM Racing wheels. This is my first set of GCM wheels. In fact, it's my very first GCM product. They were shipped in a padded envelope which really concerned me. These wheels aren't cheap and I paid for shipping so I was expecting a box. Expensive items should be shipped in a box, period. Fortunately, the wheels were undamaged inside. They are pretty!

They also included candy and some decals in the envelope. Cool! I love freebies! "thumbsup"

I also ordered up some SSD hubs for the front. And, of course, I had to get the installation tool as well.

Let's get those pretty wheels out of their wrappers. Wow! Excellent machining!

Here I set a GCM wheel on top of the stock tire and wheel combo and laid it next to the stockers to give me an idea of how they compared. Close enough for me! I expect a bunch of people, that are willing to pay for quality wheels, to copy this look.

sweet that bronco looks sweet
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC poster
    Welp I just felt my wallet get lighter. This has a selectable 2 speed transmission and selectable lockers... something that all crawlers should have vs using essentially scaled down lunchbox lockers and only one gear.
    Slash 4x4 VXL, ESC fan, stiff front/rear sway bars

I have a set of new 1.9 Rock Beast XL tires at home. I thought they'd be perfect for the Bronco until I mounted them.

The GCM Racing wheels coupled with the SSD hubs look awesome! And the Rock Beasts look great too. Just one problem, the mounted dimensions are much larger than the claimed 4.75" and the tires would rub the body all too often at anything close to full articulation.

So pretty. And so close, but so far. Onto the next option.

Not the best picture, but we've been dealing with Nor'easters so my yard has been either covered with snow or extremely muddy.

I decided on Team Ottsix Voodoo KLR tires. They are extremely close to the size of the stock tires and I had a virtually unused set at home. The recommended foams have been too stiff for most of my scalers which tend to be light weight. The foams seem to be much better suited to the TRX-4 which is probably my heaviest scaler.

Now I just need to settle on some rear hubs and hope we get a nice weekend where I can go trailing without snow or mud bogs.

Traxxas Employee
    ****! Those wheels are awesome! My plan was to go with deep dish white wagon wheels, but the doggone offset is way too high to look right. After seeing yours, those might look even better than wagon wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Excellent find! Those wheels man!

For rear hubs, have a look at LockedUp RC's rear Ultra Hubs, very nice looking steel, and you can paint them if you want a different look.

Quote Originally Posted by cozyFozy View Post
    Excellent find! Those wheels man!

For rear hubs, have a look at LockedUp RC's rear Ultra Hubs, very nice looking steel, and you can paint them if you want a different look.
    Thank you! I'll check them out. I did remember I have some TSS hubs here, but I think they're larger in OD than the SSD hubs.

I like the SSD hubs, but for front hubs, RC4wd Warn locking hubs are super detailed (they don't make a red version to mimic the original hubs though). https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-Wa...bs_p_2589.html

These are the LockedUp rears that are really detailed.
    http://www.lockeduprc.com/Ultra-Hubs...-M4_p_511.html

I like the SSD hubs, but for front hubs, RC4wd Warn locking hubs are super detailed (they don't make a red version to mimic the original hubs though). https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-Wa...bs_p_2589.html

These are the LockedUp rears that are really detailed.
    http://www.lockeduprc.com/Ultra-Hubs...-M4_p_511.html
    Those RC4WD hubs are cool, but my SSD hubs are red.

I do like those LURC rear hubs, but I'm afraid they'd be much larger than the front hubs. I did order the rear SSD hubs, but I also have TSS and GMade options at home. I'm going to see which one looks best.

Thanks for the links.

My plan is to use those SSD rear hubs on all four corners of my Landy for a clean subtle look (paired with their new Contender 1.9's). The red fronts are definitely the right look for your '79 Bronco! At least you will have options on hand to try out for the rear hubs. Feel free to post pics of each hub on the truck.. lol

I printed myself a license plate. I like that it has a double meaning - Leaf Spring Mafia, of course, but also LS, like the Chevy engine, to annoy the Ford fans.

I added the SSD black rear hubs. I'm not sure if I like them. They remind me of the stock, black rear hubs on the heavier duty truck. But I might switch to silver or raw aluminum. The black hubs will stay for now.

The license plate looks good Jato! Very realistic.
    What about stripping the anodizing off of the SSD rears with oven cleaner? That would give you the bare aluminum look that you are talking about. Your truck is looking really good man.

The license plate looks good Jato! Very realistic.
    What about stripping the anodizing off of the SSD rears with oven cleaner? That would give you the bare aluminum look that you are talking about. Your truck is looking really good man.
    Thank you!

Stripping the anodizing is a good idea. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. I do have other hubs to try first (GMade & TSS).

SSD portal weights and underdrive gears for the rear.

Hey Jato... any updates on these yet??

Hey Jato... any updates on these yet??
    No, I haven't installed those yet. I want to get a trail run in with mostly stock parts before upgrading. The holdup has been three or 4 Nor'Easters. We keep getting covered with snow. Got hit with about 14" yesterday into last night.

Wow, understood. I will be more patient. I too haven't been able to fly because of foul weather (crazy winds & tornado warnings), still waiting to test the new batts.

I am sold on the SSD weights (have read & watched videos about their benefits), but would like to hear your input on the underdrive gears when you get around to it, I'm guessing this would be used for more pull from the front axle, correct?

Wow, understood. I will be more patient. I too haven't been able to fly because of foul weather (crazy winds & tornado warnings), still waiting to test the new batts.

I am sold on the SSD weights (have read & watched videos about their benefits), but would like to hear your input on the underdrive gears when you get around to it, I'm guessing this would be used for more pull from the front axle, correct?
    No worries!

Yes, overdriving the front axle and underdriving the rear axle both give the effect of the front tires pulling more than the rear. This really helps in climbing because the front tires spin more than the rear. This helps prevent the truck from lifting the front end. Doing both overdriving and underdriving gives more of this affect. I hope that makes sense.

No worries!

Yes, overdriving the front axle and underdriving the rear axle both give the effect of the front tires pulling more than the rear. This really helps in climbing because the front tires spin more than the rear. This helps prevent the truck from lifting the front end. Doing both overdriving and underdriving gives more of this affect. I hope that makes sense.

This makes sense to me, when I first saw the machined gear sets, I thought to myself "man, 80 bucks to re-gear both axles just to drop 1 tooth on each pinion/gain 1 tooth on each ring gear..." Seemed like a minimal performance bump for such a large purchase. Now, I see the true benefit/use is to have the front overdrive the rear (and the ability to choose from multiple ratio combinations). You can tell I don't compete..

I never remembered the stock rear hubs having red centers. Apparently they did so the stock Traxxas hubs aren't too far off. I didn't like the black rear hubs so I changed them to red. Much better. "thumbsup"

I got more upgrade parts for the never driven Bronco. Thanks for the eBay 15% off sale.

RC Competitor
    I never remembered the stock rear hubs having red centers. Apparently they did so the stock Traxxas hubs aren't too far off. I didn't like the black rear hubs so I changed them to red. Much better. "thumbsup"

Yes, the stock rear center caps had a decal to look like the front locking hubs.

This update is going to be a lot of photos. 56K warning! :****: Remember those days? I seriously hope nobody has to suffer with 56K anymore, but I know some countries outside of America pay way too much for high speed internet.

It's been snowing quite often here in PA and yesterday it was finally nice enough to go for my first trail run with this truck. I'm so impressed. I trail with diffs unlocked and it climbs a lot of obstacles that way. It just boggles my mind that it can crawl with open diffs. It certainly needs more front weight bias and the body gives it a fairly high center of gravity, but the truck works so well in stock form.

The stock servo is a little weak for my liking. It's not as bad as some people would lead you to believe. I'm not sure if I'm going to put a BEC on it and try again or if I'm just going to switch out the servo. I'm leaning towards a Savox 1210SG waterproof servo, but I'm open to other recommendations. If I go with the Savox I'm not sure if the stock ESC will be able to push it without browning out so I might just switch over to the Mamba X and avoid the external BEC. I absolutely loathe external BECs.

I had these Voodoo KLRs on my Sawback and they weren't great. The tire carcass and foams were too stiff for my light weight Sawback. They work much better on the heavier TRX-4. I was happy with their performance except for side hilling. They tend to slide down hills. There is very little side grip in my experience on this run. I will say it was cold outside though so I'm not giving up on the tires yet.

The body is new and unscathed at this point. That will soon change.

Here's the hitch and ball I 3D printed the night before. It should have been printed in black, but I already had silver PETG in my printer and I was too lazy to change it.

Who doesn't love wheels?

Looking Good Jato!! I have seen Jeep's with selectable full floating hubs front and rear, they unlock all four when towing four down with a Tow Bar, so your not out of line here.

Would love some insight about your HH motor choice?
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRustyTRX$Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    Looking Good Jato!! I have seen Jeep's with selectable full floating hubs front and rear, they unlock all four when towing four down with a Tow Bar, so your not out of line here.

Would love some insight about your HH motor choice?
    Thank you!

I have a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro and a Crawlmaster and I've been very happy with them. When the Traxxas motor dies I have the Holmes Trailmaster Sport motor to replace it. It's a brushed 550, 21T motor like the stock motor. That's why I decided to go with this motor. Does that answer your question?

Besides the servo, which I'm still not certain which direction I'm going, I knew I wanted to get weight up front. I chose the SSD portal weights because they add the most weight and because they have a nice, dark finish on them instead of a gaudy brass color.

This is what we're starting with. Stock portals and the portal weights about to go on. Notice the shade tree cement block jack stands when you can't afford real jack stands. :****:

The SSD weight on the right is nicely finished. The weight on the left has severe tool marks from machining. I've never received such an unfinished part from SSD. Function is fine, but they missed the aesthetics on this one piece.

Well, what are we waiting for? Let's tear it open! It's not drowning in grease, but I can't complain. I did add some marine grease to the gears.

All finished. Lots of screws for such a simple mod. That's fine with me though. All those screws add extra strength to a potential weak spot and these shouldn't have to come off more than once a year for cleaning and regreasing.

RC Qualifier
    Looking great. And thank you for the detailed right ups.
    I did notice the shade tree jack stand is it on thingyverse or us your own design?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neows6 View Post
    Looking great. And thank you for the detailed right ups.
    I did notice the shade tree jack stand is it on thingyverse or us your own design?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! And you're welcome.

I got those cement blocks "free" from a company called Mini Materials. I just had to pay the $4.00 shipping.

Thank you!

I have a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro and a Crawlmaster and I've been very happy with them. It's a brushed 550, 21T motor like the stock motor. Does that answer your question?
    Yep!!

Notice the shade tree cement block jack stands when you can't afford real jack stands.
    I like the blocks better!!
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRustyTRX$Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    I like the blocks better!!
    Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not a tremendous fan of the TRX-4 personally, but yours is sweet. Just the right mods for the scale look and feel. Im
    About to google those shade tree blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Not a tremendous fan of the TRX-4 personally, but yours is sweet. Just the right mods for the scale look and feel. Im
    About to google those shade tree blocks.
    Thanks! I wasn't a huge fan of the TRX-4 before I got one either. I just thought it was too much unnecessary plastic, too many unneeded features, and the result was overly complicated. But then I fell in love with the Bronco body so I had to have one. And then I drove it and my mind was completely changed. I love this truck.

RC poster
    Truck looks good with the red hubs on those wheels.
    The 1:1 Bronco never had locking hubs on the rear but since nobody seems to be making the actual scale centers it's a good fix.
    If I remember right the red centers were on factory hubs and the black were on the Warn hubs my 79 Bronco had the Warn hubs.
    The 1:1 centers did have a stamped area that looked like the front hubs on the factory ones but the warn centers i had were smooth.
    The real difference was the front centers went over the hubs and the end was open for locking.
    My 79 had the same wheels but of course they weren't anodized so after a weekend of polishing they stayed nice for about a month or the first mud hole whichever came first.
    Keep up the good work.
    I want to get my model to look as close to my real 79 as possible. So I'll be watching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast