Thread: Really 6S?

RC Qualifier

Really 6S?

I know the UDR is capable of running 2x3S to provide 6S, but do you think it will be able to do this stock without parts breaking/blowing up?! Or will some upgrades be needed?

RC Competitor
    From traxxas record, upgrade will be required. When any of the vehicle is pushed to the speed claim from them, it always require expensive upgrades. For example: the slash 4x4 is rated 60mph on 3s. You’ll need lots of upgrades to run it at that constantly starting with the motor and esc and the whole drive line to make it reliable.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashmaxxsummit View Post
    From traxxas record, upgrade will be required. When any of the vehicle is pushed to the speed claim from them, it always require expensive upgrades. For example: the slash 4x4 is rated 60mph on 3s. You’ll need lots of upgrades to run it at that constantly starting with the motor and esc and the whole drive line to make it reliable.
    i agree with you on that point. but if you look at the x-maxx (8s) it does not need any upgrades to handle 8s power. i have the x-maxx and i literally beat the crap out of it and it just takes it

Traxxas Employee
    Um...

1) All steel gear driveline (steel spur, steel pinion, steel Torque-Biasing Center Drive gears, all steel differential gears, etc.)

2) Steel axles at all 4 corners (these things are thick!)

3) No slipper clutch

4) Fixed gear mesh (keep the motor from vibrating loose)

5) Steel rear driveshaft

6) Dual aluminum-bodied GTR shocks at all four corners

Seriously, what's left to upgrade? Customize sure, but I don't think there will be much in the driveline that can be improved. Take a look at the new E-Revo. All the critical driveline areas were massively beefed up to take 6s power all day long. The same thinking went into the Desert Racer. We're all hobbyists here and this truck has us seriously excited!

RC Competitor
    I suppose you can use single 6s batteries too, if you happen to have one that fits in the battery compartment, right?

RC Competitor
    I'll answer to my own question: Yes, you can use 6s batteries if it fits in battery compartment. Also, you can easily change the connectors if you don't like the traxxas ones. This picture reveals it all:

http://www.rcdriver.com/traxxas-unli...raxxas-udr-21/

RC Enthusiast
    Guess changing trx connectors to the ones I use(xt150) will be first mod/upgrade

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    I know the UDR is capable of running 2x3S to provide 6S, but do you think it will be able to do this stock without parts breaking/blowing up?! Or will some upgrades be needed?
    It will do just fine. I watched a few videos on the track runs that Traxxas did, with others, with the UDR on 6S, and they were not easy on it. They ran at least 8 packs through it without a single issue. On Paper, the drive train should hold up to 8S. I also read that Traxxas tested it on 8S with different motor/esc and, as far as I know, it didn't have any issues.

The only thing that is unknown is the strength of the rear axle, time will tell. The rest of the drivetrain, X-Maxx Sized or directly from the X-Maxx, will hold up very well.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    It will do just fine. I watched a few videos on the track runs that Traxxas did, with others, with the UDR on 6S, and they were not easy on it. They ran at least 8 packs through it without a single issue. On Paper, the drive train should hold up to 8S. I also read that Traxxas tested it on 8S with different motor/esc and, as far as I know, it didn't have any issues.

The only thing that is unknown is the strength of the rear axle, time will tell. The rest of the drivetrain, X-Maxx Sized or directly from the X-Maxx, will hold up very well.
    Any links to the videos?
    Would like to check them out!!