Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

New Traxxas Stampede Owner here...

New to hobby level RCs here but an old guy...

I had one of those toy level RCs as a kid. Thing could barely move on carpet!

The Stampede 4X4 VXL is nothing like that. I had a blast today running my beat up Stampede through snow, mud, up and down hills. Even on 2S learner mode the thing blows away the RCs of my youth.

Speaking of 3S... Gah...

Note to self... When getting a new RC stick to 2S power, run in training mode, and... Be aware of your environment...

This is Stampede 4X4 VXL #1 that I have nicknamed "Crash". That is because I drove it in a car wash parking lot at night... In the rain on its inaugural run with me. Poor visibility plus 3S power... Well... I managed to run the poor thing straight into the pedestal which holds the car vacuums. I basically ran it into a wall.

This is how it was before I wrecked it:

Drivetrain is stock but the suspension is all done up with MIPs driveshafts, Proline Powerstroke shocks, Golden Horizons arms etc.

So... Now I have parts coming in to fix the poor thing. No matter how well Traxxas makes their vehicles they cannot be expected to survive head on collisions.

I even managed to bend the center driveshaft!

So, I figured why not rebuild it and do some improvements on the way?
    Stock parts that require replacement:
    -Chassis
    -Front Bulkhead
    -Center Driveshaft
    -Servo case with seals (the crash was hard enough to dislodge and break the bottom of the case).
    -Receiver box with seals (yup, broke the bottom of this too where the screws go in).
    -Steering rebuild kit (Traxxas part#6845X).

Upgrades
    -RPM front bumper
    -RPM ESC cage

See the broken chassis, bent center driveshaft, bits of receiver and servo box, and the piece of front bulkhead?

I managed to really much up these parts as well! Wowsa...

At any rate once it is back together the truck should be better than ever.

Post #2 will show what is going on with Stampede #2...

RC Racer
    Stampede #2 is nicknamed "Bang" by me. I bought it as a package deal with a rough Rustler VXL that I have named "Rusty" because it has rusty parts in it and had a rough life.

Bang is a well used and abused Stampede and is stock except for the Proline Trenchers on Proline Wheels. The only other upgrade is one RPM front arm.
    And... I think we can clearly see why it has the one RPM arm. I think it is fair to say that whatever accident broke the suspension guard likely took out the stock Traxxas arm. Why only change out the one though? Weird...

So... Current plan for Bash is...

-Replace the suspension guards with new Traxxas ones.
    -Change out the stock bumper for a RPM one.
    -Replace all the arms with Blue RPM arms for strength.

Shocks...

The truck is still on stock shocks and this happened today on my run.

Not sure if my repair will hold up or not.

So... For now I am holding off on a total shock swap to something like Traxxas Big Bore shocks.

My current idea for the shocks is:

-Traxxas Blue Aluminum shock caps.
    -Traxxas blue springs (just for looks)
    -RPM Blue cups, clips, and guards.

Will that do the trick?

I also have a Rustler VXL that I am overhauling as well. I figured that the Rustler forum is a better place to post about that.

RC Competitor
    Great right up. Love your enthusiasm. My Pede has been used and abused and abused some more. I think I have more fun with it than I do with my x-maxx. I think your shock idea is good. Depending on how much you bash it, the aluminum shock caps are worth their weight in gold.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like you have jumped in with both feet.

I'd also suggest you inspect the lipo for any damage.

have fun!

RC Racer
    Thanks for the kind welcomes!

GT Joe, I have discontinued using that LiPo for now.

The Bash has not been a babied truck. I thought I had posted this in my second post:

Whatever dinged up the suspension guard obviously took out the stock Traxxas suspension arm which is why it was replaced with the RPM one. Why just replace one though?

This owner did not treat either of these RCs nicely at all. So... Despite what I have read about weaknesses in the stock arms, stock plastic shock caps etc, this truck held up well to its abuse. Just the same I am going to show the truck some love and replace some of the worn things and improve the truck while I'm at it.

I am going to post Rusty the Rustler in the Rustler forum now. This is how that poor vehicle looked:

That body is "new". I can't imagine how bad the "old" body must have been.

This is why Rusty is in pieces right now:

Once I saw the shape of the transmission case that was it. I decided I was not going to drive it until I knew it was in good shape. So, the tear down commenced. More of that in the thread I am about to start in the Rustler forum.

RC Qualifier
    If the lipo shows no dents or signs of puffing....it is probably still good. If you want an extra layer of insurance, charge it outside next time and see how it behaves. if it's a hard case lipo, you are even better off.

I also put in my batteries with the protective padding they are shipped with...it works great!

Now you are about to get real familiar with these trucks with the teardowns...which can be fun.

Good luck!
    Slash VXL, Stampede VXL, 4tec VXL ,Bandit VXL

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Zoodles95, welcome to the addiction. Us old guys rock!

. . . and crash
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    Thanks for the kind words and welcome gang.

My parts for "Crash" are coming in this Friday. So, I am excited to start to get the poor truck back together. I cannot tell you the sinking feeling I had when I crashed it. However, what was done was done and I decided to look at the bright side.

It was an opportunity to get "dirty" with the truck and learn about it. Thankfully Traxxas does a great job of making those exploded diagrams available so I was able to navigate my way through how to disassemble things and also what parts I needed.

Now I have 3 RC s that are calling to me for repairs and upgrades.

I hope I can post about my Rustler later. now I am limited to 1 thread start a day. I will be looking for a few opinions for that RC. One will be tire choice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The P4de is an awesome basher.

+1 on being a great basher! The p4de can be bullet proofed for 3s. Heres a list of upgrades imo & experience.https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6296896

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 03-02-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    The one part I found to make my sons stampede 4x4 way more durable in the driveline is the centre differential for the slash 4x4. My son is only six so he stays on the throttle to long from time to time and something has to give so the centre diff lets the power go to the tires still in the air. Another bonus is the bearing that holds the Spur lasts way longer then with a slipper clutch throwing abrasive dust into causing it to fail all the time. I have also mounted a rustler body on it, it looks like a 1/10 revo and the low flat cab means it can take a lot of abuse compared to a truck type body. I used a rear mount on the front and used proline’s cap body mounts. Just the caps and thread them into the traxxas body mounts, front holes line up and the traxxas rustler body has two flat spots in the back that you drill two holes in and it looks awesome.

RC Racer
    Woo Hoo!

My parts came in! Now I can rebuild "Crash"...

Chassis and Front Bulkead to replace the busted parts. New body mounts, and lots of spare screws to replace any that look suspect.

The crash also toasted the receiver box, servo box, part of the steering bellcrank etc. I thought I may as well put in a new battery tie down while I was at it.

Why not a few upgrades while I'm at it? RPM bumper, kit to try out the LCD lights that came with the parts I got with my second two Traxxas cars, an ESC cage, and I am going to try this clear case which will show the pinion gears.

Even "Bash" is getting some love. Aluminum shock caps will be a nice upgrade and this shock bottom is an interim step to repair my rear shock:

I think this is a better longer term solution to the problem:

RC Racer
    So... I started work on "Crash" my busted up stampede...

I managed to rebuild the servo (that was fun), mount the rear assembly etc. Sadly, the original crash busted up the parts of the ESC where the screws go through. I figured an ESC cage would solve the problem.

Gah! They sold me the wrong one...

So... I could not stand being stopped by this. I stole the ESC out of Rusty the Rustler and I will just add an ESC cage to Rusty when I start the Rustler build. At some point I will be looking at a Castle build for one of these RCs so the damaged ESC will go into retirement at some point.

This was as far as I got. Re casing the Servo motor was a pain.

I need to rebuild the front end since my collision also smoked the front bulkhead and broke parts of the steering horn etc. Tomorrow I will get back to work...

Maybe I will have two working Stampedes tomorrow.

RC Racer
    So... Back to zero operational trucks again. LOL!

I took out Bash and my wife, my brother-in-law and I all took turns driving the snot out of it.

Started out on learner 2S and then moved him up to 2S:

Oddly enough he seemed to like to rip it around the paved part more than anything. This is at the highschool across the street and there are paved sections, a running track, ball diamonds etc. The long jump was fun with the truck. Full speed and then over and into the sand. Some great jumps.

And... 3S addiction set in...

Today I plan to finish Crash and get it going. As you can see though I toasted the poor front right shock.

So... I need to do some repairs and upgrades to Bash to make it stronger.

I need new front suspension guards for sure and a right front shock.

Plan for bash is:
    -New front suspension guards
    -RPM suspension arms front and back
    -Upgraded shocks.
    -ESC fan (will put one in both trucks).

Gotta love seeing this!

I obviously need better shocks.

I have Proline Powerstrokes in Crash but it would be nice to put something a little in between stock and the Prolines.

Recommendations? Thinking of Traxxas Big Bore but very eager to hear your experiences. \

Thanks in advance.

If Iím not mistaken, some may have used Traxxas GTR shocks on their 4x4 Slashes and Stampedes. I would look into those well before the Big Bore shocks (which I like.) It seems to me with your style of ďdrivingĒ that an increase of 36% in the cross-sectional area of the shock shaft is almost mandatory. You will get that by going from the current and Big Bore 3mm shaft to the GTR 3.5mm shaft.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If I’m not mistaken, some may have used Traxxas GTR shocks on their 4x4 Slashes and Stampedes. I would look into those well before the Big Bore shocks (which I like.) It seems to me with your style of “driving” that an increase of 36% in the cross-sectional area of the shock shaft is almost mandatory. You will get that by going from the current and Big Bore 3mm shaft to the GTR 3.5mm shaft.
    Thanks for the tip.

Ideally I want to keep my headaches with an install as painless as possible. Could someone please help me with what parts I need?

This thread covers this quite a bit already:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...76#post6263476

So...User Muraski recommends long GTR for front and Xtra long GTR for rear

Long GTR is:
    Traxxas Part# 7461X

XLong GTR is:
    Traxxas Part# 7462X

However, by the time I buy the springs I need I am not that far away price wise from the Proline Powerstroke shocks which also have a 3.5mm shaft:

https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...e-shocks-rear/

Well, I guess there is a savings between the two.

These are on Crash, the other truck:

Hmmm...

Big bore and have an easy, headache free install... Pay more for GTR but get more strength (probably a good idea since I like to really trash and bash)... Or more money still and buy the Prolines?

I would like to try the blue springs that User Muraski is using.

If I am going to try the GTR then I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which part#s I would need for springs and whatever else I need.

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have Big bores on mine from a Rustler build. I would recommend GTRís. I canít put tight enough springs on mine to prevent bottoming out.

RC Racer
    Oh man... Getting pleased...

Crash may be running tonight! Front end is well on its way. This was the hardest part of the build followed by rebuilding the servo (next time I would just buy an upgraded/better servo instead of recasing/rebuilding the old servo).

Woo Hoo!

RC Racer
    Woo Hoo!!!!

Crash is back... So happy...
    Got the servo hooked up and then adjusted it to be centered.

Last pieces of the puzzle...

Finally whole again!!!

I ended up replacing the body mounts because my crash bent the old ones... Gah... More parts replaced...

In terms of upgrades there were a few done:
    -RPM front bumper
    -Clear gear cover (some may not see this as an upgrade).

Next upgrade will be an ESC fan for this thing to help keep it cool.

Not sure what "Crash" needs next. It is a pretty stout Stampede and presently it has MIP axles, Proline shocks, Golden Horizons A arms front and back, and is rolling Proline Trenchers on Desperado wheels.

Other than the ESC fan is there an obvious "weak link" that I should look at upgrading?

Sadly, one truck comes back and one goes down.

Next us is poor "Bash" (I think I prefer "Bash" to "Bang").

Bash is going to get RPM A arms front and back and I am looking into the GTR shocks recommended here. I may just start with the front to spread the financial pain out a bit. It also needs new body mounts as well. The previous owner had a modified Rustler mount system and the original mounts were toast.

I wonder if I will ever get both trucks going at the same time? Ah, the addiction of 3S power and jumps...

RC Racer
    Another idea is to go nuts and buy the Pro Line Pro Spec shocks:
    https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...-shocks-front/

Then put these into "Crash" as an upgrade over the existing Pro Line Power Stroke shocks. Then move those over the "Bang".

Hmmm....

RC Enthusiast
    Iím looking at both of those as options for my sons Pede. The Pro Specís are only $26 more for the set front and rear. I just donít see spring set for them like I do for the powerstrokes, unless I missed it somewhere on Prolineís site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RC Racer
    The LHS I have been going to has the GTR shocks there so I will bring "Bash" in with me later this week and do a trial for there. The stiffer springs for them are apparently out of stock for 3 weeks.

Another alternative is the HPI shocks that are well regarded around here. Is it me or is the HPI website not as easy to navigate as others? I am having trouble narrowing down what I would need and what part numbers for that option.

RC Qualifier
    Dude! Do you even have a budget?! What a load of cash you are spending!!!... I wish I had no budget for RC...
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    Dude! Do you even have a budget?! What a load of cash you are spending!!!... I wish I had no budget for RC...
    Well... I am thinking of selling Bash when I have it all sorted out. I keep seeing videos of the new Erevo. Yikes!

RC Racer
    Well... I thought I was going to make some progress to get "Bash" back to operational condition.

RPM A arms to replace the stock Traxxas parts. New suspension guards, RPM bumper, and I decided to upgrade to GTR shocks based on the advice I received here.

The GTR is a much nicer piece of hardware than the original.

Unfortunately I did not realize that the front shock tower is twisted!

Man... I guess I am harder on these trucks than I realize! LOL!... So... I am going to upgrade the Traxxas towers on "Crash" and put RPM parts into that truck. Then I will move on the Traxxas towers from there to "Bash" to replace the messed up front tower on "Bash".

Weather has turned colder here anyways so some time on the sidelines for these RCs is not the end of the world. So long as I keep making progress and have them good to go for spring then I'll be happy.

At least "Crash" got some love as well. ESC fan for it to help keep it healthy on its upcoming runs.

I have one of those Tekno driveshafts coming in for "Crash". I need to look into those motor mounts as well. I am trying to make the truck as solid as I can.

RC Racer
    Picked up more goodies at the LHS today. I could not resist finally getting a proper set of Hex Drivers. Dynamite!

RPM Front and Rear shock towers will be going onto "Crash". Then the stock Traxxas ones which are in good shape will go onto "Bash" (Bash has a messed up Front Shock Tower).

And... Crash is going to have the aluminum bearing carrier mod done and some have put this slipper clutch in instead of the stock version:

After work tomorrow I am looking forward to getting to work!

RC Competitor
    A couple thoughts......
    As for the shocks. The stock Ultras are actually plenty capable, and very durable when you add aluminum shock caps, and tini shafts. You can also get aluminum fully threaded bodies from strc that use all the ultra parts, and those rpm guards you got fit them well.

Second, while the aluminum arms look good, they may be a liability, and a major contributor to you breaking so many parts at once. Most people run aluminum hubs, and Castor blocks, but always plastic arms....the problem is, that in a crash, those aluminum arms transfer all the energy into the bulkheads, and chassis......where plastic arms would either flex, or break, which is what you want to happen since they are cheap to replace.......also the plastic/nylon is lighter than aluminum, and on these 4x4s, weight can start to make a difference.

Just hate to see you go through all these repairs, only to have something similar happen the next time you might hit something.

RC Racer
    All right... "Crash" got some upgrades tonight.

RPM shock towers front and back and aluminum bearing carrier in lieu of the plastic stock one. And an ERevo slipper clutch upgrade.

Frankly, I'm amazed that Traxxas uses a plastic part for this bearing carrier. Lots of pictures out there of these melting and causing issues. Such an inexpensive upgrade and mod. The ERevo slipper clutch upgrade is probably overkill for me since I do not intend to progress beyond 3S power with this truck. I figure since a Tekno Big Bone centre driveshaft is coming in the mail that I may as well stick with the mantra of stronger is better.

The old slipper clutch is much smaller than the ERevo one.

I think I'm done!

Next is to adjust it properly. I am done for tonight. Yawn...

"Bash" has a bent Front Shock Tower so I decided to throw RPM towers into "Crash" and the good condition stock Traxxas tower from "Crash" went into "Bash".

The RPM Shock Towers are a nice upgrade over the originals.

The next two upgrades are a King Headz Aluminum Motor Mount and the Tekno Big Bone Centre Driveshaft. After that?*

Not sure if I want to pursue 17mm hubs just yet. I may run the truck as is once the next two upgrades are done and see how it holds up from there.*

The 17mm upgrade will be well worth it. Im waiting on rims n tires now. I striped a hex in my 12mm. Rather aggrevating, but it happens when u go BL n 3s+

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Nice swimsuit lol
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoodles95 View Post
    Well... I am thinking of selling Bash when I have it all sorted out. I keep seeing videos of the new Erevo. Yikes!
    Personally I wouldn't even waste my time upgrading or repairing if I was going to sell it for something else. It won't take long before you realize you spent more on repairs and upgrades than you'll get back out of it, or your profit margin will be slim. I would have just tried to get something out of it (always seems like someone is looking for a parts vehicle) as-is and move on. By all means do what you want because this has been educational for me watching this thread, but that's just my two cents.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    17mm for sure. The P4de eats hubs. I couldnít get one run out of the 12mm trenchers without the wheels nut(serrated aluminum with blue loctite). No issues at all since the upgrade.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    17mm for sure. The P4de eats hubs. I couldn’t get one run out of the 12mm trenchers without the wheels nut(serrated aluminum with blue loctite). No issues at all since the upgrade.
    Cool... My other Stampede will need tires anyways. So, if I do the 17mm conversion on "Crash" that will give "Bash" a nice set of Proline Trenchers on Desperados.

I am going to keep Bash for now. It will be mainly a 2S truck for now for my wife and Brother In Law to use. In time it may get upgraded enough to be a 3S truck.

Once Crash gets the Tekno big bone centre drive shaft and the King Headz Motor Mount in and I have it dialed in then the 17mm hubs and new wheels and tires will come after that.

Then I can look at gearing and the motor/esc.

Ha ha... Got to love it. Never run out of options or plans for these crazy things.

RC Racer
    I may as well keep Bash and keep going. I'm close to having it up to snuff soon.

It is amazing the things you do not catch.

The truck came with a half on suspension guard on the right front. I should have rectified that before we beat on it. This is also the side which had the RPM suspension arm whereas all the other arms were stock. So... I suspect it had already been dinged. The front end had a bent shock, the suspension guard that went missing, and the front shock tower was twisted and damaged. I rectified all these things and yet I found this when I put it back together.

The right front turnbuckle is actually bent. So... as per usual I have a nice upgraded set coming which will go onto Crash and the good conditions ones off of Crash will go onto Bash.

And... Somehow I only realized recently that there are no rear suspension guards at all on Bash!

So... I have new Suspension guards coming for the rear and also the aluminum bearing carrier to replace the stock plastic one. I already have the RPM arms and GTR shocks ready to go. Bash will be better than ever soon.

That will leave an ESC fan and the front and rear driveshafts which are the main weak points after this.

RC Competitor
    Zoodles. Welcome. I started with the same truck and as you're finding out after a while you wont have many original parts left! but that's part of the fun! Helped a newphew with his rustler and took down my stampede from it's shelf. My oldest truck and most bullet proof. Still running on stock diffs, tires, and front shocks and that's it. I even have the stock body. I keep repairing it!. It's not babied at all!

When i turned upside down noticed I replaced a rear A arm but not the other. Too many crashes ! I wonder how many frankenstien parts and mismatched screws I have hacked all over.

Some advice, you'll want to keep using plastic replacement parts in many strategic places to help give the car a bend rather than break result when crashing. I would of suggested against aluminum A arms. I keep my bearing carriers on each wheel plastic as well as all A arms and shock towers. These are easy to replace if they break and are good sacrificial lambs to more expensive driveshafts, shocks, and steering components.

Last edited by almach1; 03-18-2018 at 01:20 AM.

RC Racer
    That's good advice. I thought of upgrading the caster blocks to aluminum but am thinking differently now.

The second Stampede is going to run RPM A arms front and back. The #1 Stampede (Crash) came with the nice Golden Horizons A arms front and back. I could always "downgrade" them to RPM and see if I can sell the Golden Horizons ones.

The idea of "sacrificial" parts makes a lot of sense with the rationale you articulated.

That is an awesome experienced Stampede. Not a shelf queen that one.

I run mostly plastic parta myself for the same reason. Cheap n flexible, less likely to break something. But i did go with aluminum c-blocks n carriers. I had a set of rpm carriers i had got in a lot buy. Didnt like them at all, to flimsy imo. I also just got my 17mm proline f11 wheels n 2.8 trenchers in the mail. Ive got to get more gorilla tape so i can tape them n get them mounted. Great all around tire. Upgraded shock caps to aluminum as well. Havent had anymore issues with pop offs since. I put 3 hole pistons in shocks n 70wt oil with integy progressive springs. I also bumped my pinion from 14t to 17t, but havent got to run it since i did due to finding i blew a 12mm hex while changing pinions smh

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    You could probably do aluminum in the front steering (castors , carriers ect). Dial in the service saver good. The increased steering precision prolly worth it. I'm running stock traxxas carriers and castors. RPM was too flexible for these parts. Traxxss uses stiffer plastic.

RC Racer
    Today I took out "Crash" for the first time since I rebuilt it. Upgrades to the truck since its initial crash are the ESC fan, RPM front bumper, aluminum bearing carrier, ERevo 1.0 slipper clutch upgrade, and a clear motor cover. Tekno big bone centre driveshaft and King Headz motor mount are on the way in the mail. With the way I am driving I had better do the 17mm mod sooner than later!

Got "Crash" and "Rusty" ready for their first runs since their rebuilds.

Sadly "Rusty" the Rustler made it an entire whole 10 feet before its day was over. I suspect the motor was not mounted securely enough. So, it did a nice 10 feet on 3S throwing rooster tails of grass. Then... Nothing. Well... Motor noise but no engagement with the transmission.

My wife had fun driving "Crash" around though.

Then we went from the fields to the ball diamond which is getting ready for the next season. Nice big mound of dirt to climb. Made a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y41SO0y7LC0

Woo Hoo! Lots of fun and even though poor "Rusty" was out of the game early; "Crash" used every battery and was nice and dirty and ready to go home.

I even put some new scratches on the body.

Not a thing broke! I did check every screw last night in anticipation of this (I double checked the MIPs ones especially). Now Crash is washed and I will go through it again tonight.

Well... Went into "Rusty" and figured out what the problem was.

Grub screw was obviously not tightened enough on the motor pinion. I did use blue locktite and it held up to the low speed in home testing but was obviously not enough for 3S outdoor bashing... Back to the drawing board...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast