RC poster

Is 3S Lipo more damaging?

My son and I have been running our Stampede VXLs on 2S Lipos for about 2 years. Last month I bought us new batteries but went with the 3S versions instead. The difference between the 7.4 volts and the 11.1 volts was significant and almost unnecessary. My sonís stock brushless motor died within 2 weeks but I attributed it to lack of maintenance and winter snow driving (bearing blew). I sent the motor in to Traxxas for a replacement and in the meantime I ordered new pinion gears (13T and 15T). I took 3 high speed runs with the 15 tooth gear in cold weather and the ESC stopped working. The motor was 103 degrees when it stopped. I could smell a very slight electrical burn smell but didnít see anything obviously wrong the ESC. Tested the same battery on my truck and it works fine. Do you think itís coincidence that I had 2 failures soon after switching to the 11.1 volt 3S lipo batteries? Or does the extra voltage wreak havoc on the Traxxas components?

Usually 3S power just explodes all the plastic axles first but otherwise you really have to watch your temperatures when volting up without gearing down. 15T pinion seems on the high end for the 12T brushed motor and it's hard to say why the ESC failed without knowing what temp it was at. Otherwise when making that kind of battery change you have to monitor motor/ESC temps closely and gear accordingly.

RC poster
    Did you purchase the ESC cooling fan? 3S will cook the VXL-3S ESC without a fan.

RC poster
    Yes we do have the fan but for the test run it was not on. Temperatures have been in the 30s so I fan didn’t seem necessary but now that you mention it, The test run was done on an unusually warm 58į day. Can the ESC really get that hot in just a few minutes? I put my hand on it and it was warm at most after it died

RC poster
    If you were geared for speed runs that is the likely cause. I personally would not run 3S on the VXL without a fan period. No matter what the ambient temp or running conditions are.

If you end up needing to replace the ESC an OEM replacement isn't cheap and there are far better options for the same cost.

Also. A 3S will melt the stock plastic bearing adapter very quickly. I suggest replacing it with a $5 aluminum bearing adapter. They are very easy to replace and it will save you from another headache.
    Last edited by kreeg; 02-28-2018 at 03:18 PM.

RC poster
    I think I’m going to stick with 2S since we were completely happy with the performance. Are you referring to the plastic bearing adapter that butts up to the spur gear? I’ve already replaced that with the blue aluminum one but wasn’t sure if there was another one to swap. I saw some info on here about another ESC like a Hobbywing that can easily handle the 3S power but I’m guessing it does not have a Traxxas connector and I’m not sure if I can use the Traxxas motor with it (until the bearings blow again).

RC poster
    I just called Traxxas to try and get more input and was told I should be able to run 3S without an issue if the final gear ratio is correct. If I’m running a 54T spur gear / 15T pinion = 3.6 x 2.846 (stock diff gear ratio) = 10.25 final gear ratio. According to the manual and the gear ratio chart 10.25 is within the green zone of safely running. Maybe this only applies to 2S Lipo or non-lipo batteries? I think the new trucks have a different pitch on the gears so there are more teeth like 86 spur and 19 pinion for example and by the same math would have a final ratio of 12.88 which. Can someone chime in on what size spur and pinion gear works for 3S Lipo?

Ive got a hobbywing sc8 waterproof esc and a goolrc 2150kv BL motor. Im runnin 14/50 and the esc never gets hot and the motor barely gets warm. And i run 2s, then jump to 3s and i run moderately hard. But you have to solder the ends on the esc. I just bought a 5 or 10 pair pack of traxxas plugs. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    Ive got a hobbywing sc8 waterproof esc and a goolrc 2150kv BL motor. Im runnin 14/50 and the esc never gets hot and the motor barely gets warm. And i run 2s, then jump to 3s and i run moderately hard. But you have to solder the ends on the esc. I just bought a 5 or 10 pair pack of traxxas plugs. Hope this helps

+1 on this. I run the same esc and a GoolRC 2600 motor. I run 3S and 4S. 4S will get hot but I'm also geared 17/50. It's fast and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    +1 on this. I run the same esc and a GoolRC 2600 motor. I run 3S and 4S. 4S will get hot but I'm also geared 17/50. It's fast and fun.
    On 3s, half throttle (no wheelie bar) i can do pretty good wheelie. WOT it stands up on back bumper. Cant let off quick enuf before tires hit ground n it hops a couple times lmbo. 2s is fun, but 3s is awesome!!!! Have yet to run a 4s lol, just gettin into the electric side. Lovin it though

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    On 3s, half throttle (no wheelie bar) i can do pretty good wheelie. WOT it stands up on back bumper. Cant let off quick enuf before tires hit ground n it hops a couple times lmbo. 2s is fun, but 3s is awesome!!!! Have yet to run a 4s lol, just gettin into the electric side. Lovin it though

You need a lot of space.

RC poster
    Thanks guys that helps me a lot with how to gear or upgrade components. Much appreciated!

I cant wait to try 4s grip! Im in process of buyin a erbe, then i think ill get a new 4s or 2 lol.

Ur welcome, we're here to help. Always sumthin new to learn or upgrade. Glad we could help

RC poster
    Can I use the Hobbywing sc8 with my newly replaced Traxxas VXL motor? And then when it dies replace the motor with something better?

RC poster
    ...any benefit to spending the extra $16 to get the Hobbywing Max 10SCT over the sc8? Amazon has them for $85 max10 and $69 for the sc8

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin4250 View Post
    ...any benefit to spending the extra $16 to get the Hobbywing Max 10SCT over the sc8? Amazon has them for $85 max10 and $69 for the sc8
    I'd say no. Really because it'll be a bigger footprint. There's plenty of users running 2200 and 2650 cans with the 8. You're just limited to 4S, so if you plan to run higher than that, well then plan for the future.
    The VXL motor will be perfect with that esc. It's just a little high strung for the pede/slash. They weigh more and temps go up quicker.

RC poster
    Just ordered the sc8. Thanks again for all the very useful info! I ordered two more 2S Lipos so I’ll have both 2S & 3S options and 2 trucks to experiment with.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just ordered the sc8. Thanks again for all the very useful info! I ordered two more 2S Lipos so Iíll have both 2S & 3S options and 2 trucks to experiment with.
    Youíre gonna be impressed with the quality you get for the price of that unit.

My son and I have been running our Stampede VXLs on 2S Lipos for about 2 years. Last month I bought us new batteries but went with the 3S versions instead. The difference between the 7.4 volts and the 11.1 volts was significant and almost unnecessary. My sonís stock brushless motor died within 2 weeks but I attributed it to lack of maintenance and winter snow driving (bearing blew). I sent the motor in to Traxxas for a replacement and in the meantime I ordered new pinion gears (13T and 15T). I took 3 high speed runs with the 15 tooth gear in cold weather and the ESC stopped working. The motor was 103 degrees when it stopped. I could smell a very slight electrical burn smell but didnít see anything obviously wrong the ESC. Tested the same battery on my truck and it works fine. Do you think itís coincidence that I had 2 failures soon after switching to the 11.1 volt 3S lipo batteries? Or does the extra voltage wreak havoc on the Traxxas components?
    Heres my list for bullet proofing the P4de:https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?p=6296896I bash my one of my P4des on 4s, the other most of the time on 4s but have on 6s and ya think 3s is crazy or 4s blows ur mind.... Try 6s! Lmbo

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 03-02-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    Well I’m happy to say that your advice was spot on! Got the Hobbywing sc8 installed this afternoon and left the same gears in (the same ones that fried the Traxxas ESC in minutes). The 54T/15T combo was super fast and the new ESC didn’t even get warm after an entire 3S battery. The only issue now is that the Proline Trenchers are ballooning like crazy with the speed increase. The tires are close to needing replacement anyway so if anyone has a suggestion on what tires I can use for all-terrain and some street runs that would be cool. I already drilled a few holes in my trenchers to make sure they don’t have any water in them.. I had no problem until I got into the 3S power.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Meh. Youíre gonna have to buy wheels and tires separately and tape and glue them. Itís super easy. This advice is as solid as the esc advice. Get HR 12mm to 17mm kit. Get Proline F11 17mm 2.8 wheels and Trenchers again since they will be mixed use. Whatch a few YouTube videos on taping your tires. Do it and glue them on. Never look back

RC poster
    I’ve taped a set before using good quality duct tape. Is that what you would use? Are all bead glues the same?
    And for the 12mm to 17mm adapter- any preference on 6 or 10mm offset? Amazon has one of each in stock so thinking of getting one of each. One for my truck one for my sons. Just ordered the proline wheels and 8 new trenchers. This is an expensive hobby! Lol.

Iíve taped a set before using good quality duct tape. Is that what you would use? Are all bead glues the same?
    And for the 12mm to 17mm adapter- any preference on 6 or 10mm offset? Amazon has one of each in stock so thinking of getting one of each. One for my truck one for my sons. Just ordered the proline wheels and 8 new trenchers. This is an expensive hobby! Lol.
    Duck tape actually doesnt hold all that in my experience. I use the wide black gorilla tape. I have minimal ballooning on 4s geared 15/ 50 on 2700kv motor and 18/50 on 2200kv. Wider is more stable but also puts more strain on hubs, bearings, axles, etc. Lets not forget balancing them when speed increases.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíve taped a set before using good quality duct tape. Is that what you would use? Are all bead glues the same?
    I got 6mm. Sheís still roll happy, but maybe thatís some driver error.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just built an X-Maxx from scratch. I feel your pain. You donít want to know