Thread: Upgrade ideas

RC poster

Upgrade ideas

So i got LCG slash 2wd VXL OBA... got it for my son and whoa, little too much for him. I have always ran nitro and still have my nitros. Electric RC is a whole new realm for me. So Iím taking over the vxl slash for now and iíll Get him a bandit or something.

Anyways, the screw for the piŮon off the motor is all messed up. Unless i want to deal with cutting it off and try to find a new shaft for the motor? Not sure that is an option.

So, Iím wanting to buy a new motor and if Iím doing that why would i buy stock when i should upgrade! I hear 3800kv, 2300kv.. what the heck is better? The bigger number or smaller? What are some things to look into when purchasing one. Do i need to get a new esc to go with it as well?

i think for around $300-$500 is where i am at right now for this upgraded build. Right now stock it seems to have a little front end wobble coming off the corner and takes a minute down the straights to settle back in. Is there something for this stability? Maybe add a touch of weight to the front end or drop the ride height?

If someone can point me in the right direction in getting a motor for this baby.. idk. I may end up letting the 3.3 jato and my 3 revo nitros go and convert to the current side just kidding i will have to keep at least one of my nitros.

RC Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=Piperflyer;6436249]So i got LCG slash 2wd VXL OBA...

Anyways, the screw for the piŮon off the motor is all messed up. Unless i want to deal with cutting it off and try to find a new shaft for the motor? Not sure that is an option.

Pry the pinion gear off with a flat blade screwdriver or small needle nose. And get a 19t pinion gear and . . .

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned product/company name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-28-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Welcome to the forum Piperflyer!! I think you will find a bunch of awesome peeps here to help you, and it is great to share your experience with us.

I wouldn't be so quick to abandon that vxl motor. As 32slideways mentioned, you may be able to pry off the pinion. You may be able to use a star-type-head driver to get it off. You may be able to JB Weld an allen wrench and get it out. You also may be able to cut a slot into the screw and make it a flathead. You might be able to cut the pinion off, being careful with the shaft. Or you may want to take it to your local hobby store (LHS) and see what they can do.

But, I would save the 200$ you would be spending on a new motor and get your son a rig. You can put these traxxas rcs in training mode which is super helpful for youngsters.

Don't give up on that vileneon. Once you get the pinion off, you can mess with different spur gears and different pinions to make it just what you want.

Two cents worth. May the force be with you!

RC Enthusiast
    I had this exact problem. The grub screw on the pinion stripped and I could not take the motor out without replacing the whole transmission because I bought the rpm gearbox. Yesterday actually I tried for about 3 hours to take it off. I was trying to drill out the screw, and when that didn’t work I got the Dremel saw out. When that didn’t work I gave up all hope.. knowing I would break the motor I decided to just attach the grub screw to a vice and started pulling(straight out so I might have a chance of recovering the motor) after about 30 minutes of pulling as hard as I could I finally got it off. I tested it before reinstalling and all worked, the shaft was not scored by the screw nor bent. I’m not telling you to do this but that was my last hope.

RC Enthusiast
    Pry the pinion gear off with a flat blade screwdriver. I got mine off in 5 minutes. then get some 2s 5200mah batteries and some new pinion gears like 19t for BRAAAP BRAAAP or 23t for RRRRRAAAAAOOOOWWW speed. P.S VXL motor is good up too 3s batteries but that's SICK FAST

Quote Originally Posted by 32SLIDEWAYS View Post
    Pry the pinion gear off with a flat blade screwdriver. I got mine off in 5 minutes. then get some 2s 5200mah batteries and some new pinion gears like 19t for BRAAAP BRAAAP or 23t for RRRRRAAAAAOOOOWWW speed. P.S VXL motor is good up too 3s batteries but that's SICK FAST
    HAHAHAHA! I like how you think!

It just seems like such a shame to change motors due to a stuck pinion. Do you guys know if heating the pinion would make it easier as well? I know that most things expand when heated...and if you heated the shaft AND the pinion it might "cancel each other out", but maybe a soldering iron tip on the screw first to heat up any Loctite, and then solder tip to the pinion itself, AND THEN flat head screw driver to lever it out?? AND THEN BRAAAAAP BRAAAAAP <crash> upgrade.....repeat

Take a 1/16 metal bit and drill straight through the grub screw and you can slide the pinion off, then get a new one.

Update:

I bought an Bandit a year or two ago, and when I got it home I was going to change the pinion. It was so stuck that I stripped the screw...my mistake.

This weekend I tried drilling it out, but after a few semi dull drill bits and the danger I was putting my hand in I tried Slideways idea. I used two flat head screwdrivers and using the motor mount screw heads as a fulcrum I placed one flat head on each side. It took about 5 seconds and was really easy.

I'm not sure if PiperFlyer is coming back or not?
    Last edited by Synnergy; 03-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    "I used two flat head screwdrivers and using the motor mount screw heads as a fulcrum I placed one flat head on each side. It took about 5 seconds and was really easy".

HAH HAH told ya worked good right. Told ya, all factory pinions are thread locked and if you don't try a soldering needle first your going to strip the grub screw. Ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by 32SLIDEWAYS View Post
    "I used two flat head screwdrivers and using the motor mount screw heads as a fulcrum I placed one flat head on each side. It took about 5 seconds and was really easy".

HAH HAH told ya worked good right. Told ya, all factory pinions are thread locked and if you don't try a soldering needle first your going to strip the grub screw. Ask me how I know
    Yeah Man, it worked really good. I was trying to hold the tranny (because the pinion size would not fit through the mounting wall,) and drill out the screw. I was just imagining putting a nice hole through my hand. Then I remembered your tip. It worked really well with two flat heads on opposite sides. Like a charm! Thanks again for the tip!

RC Enthusiast

Nice nice

Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    Yeah Man, it worked really good. I was trying to hold the tranny (because the pinion size would not fit through the mounting wall,) and drill out the screw. I was just imagining putting a nice hole through my hand. Then I remembered your tip. It worked really well with two flat heads on opposite sides. Like a charm! Thanks again for the tip!
    Yah I know how it feels to send a drill bit through a hand or leg