RC Qualifier

steel driveshafts?

best driveshafts for these things? i keep ripping them apart and in sick of replacing them. whos running metal and all steel. opinions? options? thabks guyd
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Competitor
    What are you running power wise? The MIP axles are nice but extremely expensive. I run the factory shafts and havent had any issues although i really only run mine at the track on 2s.
    6 Traxxas vehicles and counting...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LocatedGecko7 View Post
    best driveshafts for these things? i keep ripping them apart and in sick of replacing them. whos running metal and all steel. opinions? options? thabks guyd
    Hey, grecko, welcome to the club...

So, personally, I've been doing a lot of research on this myself...

I bought the official TRX ones and have had nothing but issues, especially with the right rear dropping out when the control arms flex (ERBE - yes I know, you posted this about the slash)...

Dogbone nubs snap easily...

The answer, which has been the overwhelming majority is MIP...

Know guys running them in everything - requires light maintenance but last a long time...

If you can find boots to go over the CVDs at the wheel and diff - you'll reduce the issue with wear if you add a light coat of lithium based grease. The boot helps prevent dirt from getting into the grease and causing premature wear...

At least that's my 2 cents - lol

Chris

Sent using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Some use the Techno drive shafts to great success but for the most strength and durability MIP X-duties are the solution. If you are a racer the Techno shafts are lighter.

RC Competitor
    I run MIP X-Duty CVD's and they're absolutely amazing. I also upgraded my center drive shaft to the Tekno Big Bone and that too is fantastic. My opinion, as a basher, there's no better option.. They are expensive.. but worth every penny if you ask me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    tekno, mip, or traxxas

everything else is rubbish

I will be trying out a set of the proline HDs this weekend we will see how well they work. If they fail miserably I have a set of Mips standing by

RC Qualifier
    Jumbo- couldn't have said it better lololol ,

Madtrotter1- I have HEARD the prolines hd r not great but I DON'T know because never really looked in t them... Let us know how they work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinatfms View Post
    The MIP axles are nice but extremely expensive.
    I don't think MIPs are expensive, I think they are a pretty good value. You can find them on ebay for about $90 for a set of 4. That's $22/shaft. The stock plastic junk ones are $10. Bust 2 plastics ones and you've paid for a MIP that will last a very long time even under the big power most of us run.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Let me add My $0.02. I am currently running MIP X-Duty axles. I have had them on several different Slash 4x4 trucks since June of 2011! They are worth the investment!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

MIP or Tekno for me and mine!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    MIP or Tekno for me and mine!
    I have yet to try Techno. MIP X-Duty axles have done me so well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have yet to try Techno. MIP X-Duty axles have done me so well.

If u like racing at a track then they rock, u should try them so that way you can say you tried both...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I haven't run the prolines, but I have held some in my hand. they seem like a decent beefy steel like the mips, but they really neck down in some areas, I personally did not like that

MIP x duties are my choice too. Just make sure you let that lock tight set. The replacement pins and set screws are pricey. Don't wanna loose anything. I learned that one the hard way.

RC Competitor
    Let me add My $0.02. I am currently running MIP X-Duty axles. I have had them on several different Slash 4x4 trucks since June of 2011! They are worth the investment!
    Looks like I know what to ask for for Father's Day. :-)

RC Enthusiast
    Hi. Runing Hot racing CVD now, but streetlamp hits me and bent one of axle, the end holding the wheel. Weird, plastic parts around survived it. SO...anyone have experience with both, HR and MIP? Or those TRX "heavy duty"? I have no prob with HR, but some comparsion would be nice, thanx

It all depends on what kind of power you're running. The traxxas ones were sufficient on 2s, didn't survive long on 3s. The rebuild kit for the traxxas ones is 18.00. One of those and you are close to a set of MIP's. I have never owned HR, or tekno shafts but I'm assuming hitting a lamp pole the only one with a chance of survival are the MIP's. They are just that stout. You might break something worse because of that stoutness in a situation like that. It's hard to say.

RC Qualifier
    When you get the MIP X-duty axles in your hand and really feel them. You get the feeling your truck could drive through a nuclear blast and all that would be left would be these axles flying through the air.

I enjoy Tekno, Mip and have had good luck with Traxxas CVD's as well.
    If your concerned with aesthetics Traxxas CVD's look very nice, Tekno's are much stronger then one would think by looking at them as well as coming with bump-steer shims and over sized 6mm bearings and stub axles (Tekno are my personal choice).
    That said I have zero complaints with my X-Duty Mips, there probably the strongest over all axles available for the Slash right now.
    For the weight/strength ratio Teknos are excellent, for brute bashing strength without worrying about the extra weight Mips will probably be the better choice.
    Just my .02.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

So I tried out the proline HD axles for about a total of 3 days I went through multiple replacement parts. I ended up calling Proline and telling them how disappointed I was that I couldn't even get a full hour of play each day out of their axles so they sent me a bunch of replacement parts for free. After running out of replacement parts I said I'm done with this straight garbage and purchased MIP axles haven't had an issue since. Save yourself the time and the money and buy MIPs yes it's an expensive investment but it's worth it in the long run. I plan on running them on my new brushless four wheel drive Stampede when it gets here got a screaming deal off eBay for $365. Sorry guys I use auto-text when I type so everything seems like a run-on sentence haven't figured out how to put in periods yet my right hand doesn't work very well.
    Slash 4x4 /Stampede 4x4/Skully/Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    My Hr drive shafts broke after one pack. I emailed Hot racing and sent pictures to them and never got a response.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Madtrotter1 View Post
    Sorry guys I use auto-text when I type so everything seems like a run-on sentence haven't figured out how to put in periods yet my right hand doesn't work very well.
    Just say PERIOD

or NEW LINE

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    My Hr drive shafts broke after one pack. I emailed Hot racing and sent pictures to them and never got a response.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
    Just throw them out and get MIP X-Duty CVDs...

RC Racer
    Tekno M6 on the front. MIP X-Duty on the back.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running 2s, stock plastic axles can probably handle for some time, but the reason I bought HR is I don't want plastic axles, this isn't spot for plastic parts imo, basically. Mine HR are quite different than on pic above, biggest change is probably the spot that is broken on pic. So they made some research I think. Tried to repair that part I bent, and can tell u it's hardest than my c*ck when I was seventeen, no chance, so not sure if MIPs can survive same crash. I will buy HR CVDs again, cuz now I will have spares from old HR, but will keep in mind to try those MIPs sometimes. Thx for your replies ;-)

RC Qualifier
    mip it is. Thanks fellas
    8 traxxas models and counting....

mip it is. Thanks fellas
    You will not be disappointed! If you need any help with them, there are a great many people that can give you great advice. Congratulations!!!!

You will not be disappointed! If you need any help with them, there are a great many people that can give you great advice. Congratulations!!!!
    I second, third and fourth this regarding not being disappointed.

Also I lost a female end because the grub screw came out (locktighted) and they sent me a new one free to Australia.

Then a cup end had a chip in it and they sent me another one again free to Australia.

I can honestly say MIP are the best company for support etc. that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with (in two countries :-) )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I actually somehow ripped a pin out of the shaft and MIP warrantied it.. Their service is top notch!

all I can say is forget the blue Loctite and use a tiny bit of red.. I lost the female end (my install error) and when I replaced the grub screw, I found that another grub screw which was also loctitted was loose so they got a lil red treatment.

I have bashed the heck out of this truck with the MIP shafts and they are absolutely last on my list of parts to worry about! Enjoy!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiercguy View Post
    I actually somehow ripped a pin out of the shaft and MIP warrantied it.. Their service is top notch!

all I can say is forget the blue Loctite and use a tiny bit of red.. I lost the female end (my install error) and when I replaced the grub screw, I found that another grub screw which was also loctitted was loose so they got a lil red treatment.

I have bashed the heck out of this truck with the MIP shafts and they are absolutely last on my list of parts to worry about! Enjoy!
    But when you strip out one of the grub screws bc of the red loctite what then. Red loctite won't fix why the blue didn't hold. The same reason will make the red fail. There are only afew reasons loctite won't hold either the part isn't clean, the loctite is too old or contaminated, or it wasn't left to cure properly. And FYI loctite is not 100% weather proof so it doesn't last forever and needs to be maintained. Also grease can weaken loctite so if you are using grease on the axles instead of dry graphite check the loctite weekly if you use your RC daily if only a weekend basher then monthly should suffice.

If you are not good at using liquid loctite consider using the stick type. It is much harder to contaminate and cures better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    But when you strip out one of the grub screws bc of the red loctite what then. Red loctite won't fix why the blue didn't hold. The same reason will make the red fail. There are only afew reasons loctite won't hold either the part isn't clean, the loctite is too old or contaminated, or it wasn't left to cure properly. And FYI loctite is not 100% weather proof so it doesn't last forever and needs to be maintained. Also grease can weaken loctite so if you are using grease on the axles instead of dry graphite check the loctite weekly if you use your RC daily if only a weekend basher then monthly should suffice.

If you are not good at using liquid loctite consider using the stick type. It is much harder to contaminate and cures better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    good point and thanks for the link.. I was rather shocked when the pins let loose to be honest as I was certain to use Loctite and I used the Loctite provided by MIP.. I'll have to take my chances with the 2 grub screws that now have a tiny bit of red Loctite and hope I haven't and don't strip em.. i'll still be sure to check the screws all around however as i'm using marine grease and not dry graphite (I didn't even know this was a thing actually!).

On this... What can I use to remove the locktight residue off.. then what can I use to clean the cleaner off?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I run MIP X-Duty's on my stampede. Same axles for the slash 4x4. They ahve been holding up great to a lot of 2S bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by newbiercguy View Post
    I also upgraded my center drive shaft to the Tekno Big Bone and that too is fantastic.
    A buddy of mine got that on his slash, said if your running 2S, the stock aluminum one will be fine. He actually snapped the end off his spur shaft when he cased a jump last weekend. Was a gnarly hit, but the tekno center didn't give at all and literally snapped the cup right off the spur. Was 10 minutes into our bash and he didn't have a spare, so ended his day.

My stampede vxl has the stock aluminum tube that has a lot of slop to slide forward/back.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

The Tekno Big Bine center drive shaft comes with 4 O-rings that you put in the outdrives (2 in front and 2 in rear) to adjust how much movement (back and front) you want in them.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I run MIP X-Duty's on my stampede. Same axles for the slash 4x4. They ahve been holding up great to a lot of 2S bashing.

A buddy of mine got that on his slash, said if your running 2S, the stock aluminum one will be fine. He actually snapped the end off his spur shaft when he cased a jump last weekend. Was a gnarly hit, but the tekno center didn't give at all and literally snapped the cup right off the spur. Was 10 minutes into our bash and he didn't have a spare, so ended his day.

My stampede vxl has the stock aluminum tube that has a lot of slop to slide forward/back.
    I've been bashing on 2 and 3s but only 2s with my 2.8" tires cause I don't want to blow them up lol.. I've taken some big hits too and actually bent my traxxas aluminum center driveshaft which is what made me get the tekno.. I use all 4 "o" rings and so far so good. I had my LHS straighten out my traxxas shaft so that I can use it as a spare if ever needed.