Thread: Concerned!

RC Qualifier

Concerned!

So I charged my batteries and took my truck out Nd when I brought it inside and put the batteries on charge one pack was like 3.20 3.20 3.20 and the other pack was 3.54 3.55 3.54. Is my lvc not set right or do I have something else going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightflier x4.6 View Post
    So I charged my batteries and took my truck out Nd when I brought it inside and put the batteries on charge one pack was like 3.20 3.20 3.20 and the other pack was 3.54 3.55 3.54. Is my lvc not set right or do I have something else going on?
    were both fully charged?
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Qualifier
    Yes balanced charged to 4.20 volts per cell

I get that with will all my different RC models, with all their different ESC's, with all my different batteries, and from all different manufactures that make all the stuff I have.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You may need to raise LVC. Also itís good practice to swap batteries for each run.

RC Qualifier
    How do I raise the box? These are the only set of batteries I have I really need to buy a second set and not upgrade the esc and motor. I just did a update on the esc and ,an this thing is a monster I'm pleased with it's power with the stock esc and motor for now.

How do I raise the box? These are the only set of batteries I have I really need to buy a second set and not upgrade the esc and motor. I just did a update on the esc and ,an this thing is a monster I'm pleased with it's power with the stock esc and motor for now.
    I would suggest calling traxxas, i don't know how to help and they might have more of an explanation of why that happened.

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to try and charge the batteries fully again the next time I run it and see if the problem occurs again I'll try and give them a ring.

I'm going to try and charge the batteries fully again the next time I run it and see if the problem occurs again I'll try and give them a ring.
    hope you find out what the problem is!

RC Qualifier
    Me too thanks for your time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken, only one side is dedicated to the bec. Can someone who knows for sure confirm/dismiss this? If I'm right, the battery that is further discharged would be on the "bec side".

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, only one side is dedicated to the bec. Can someone who knows for sure confirm/dismiss this? If I'm right, the battery that is further discharged would be on the "bec side".

Nah, they are wired in series so the total combined voltage goes to the esc. The voltage is then sent to the motor and through the bec in separate circuitry. I would think it's a difference in ir between the packs.

Like I said above.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I get that with will all my different RC models, with all their different ESC's, with all my different batteries, and from all different manufactures that make all the stuff I have.
    As long as your batteries aren't getting too hot, puffing, or you have a cell way off, your good to go. I see it more (what you're experiencing) with my lesser "C" rated batteries, but I still see it (to some degree) with all my batteries.

The other thing to consider is that batteries don't all have exactly the same exact capacity. The next time you deep cycle your batteries look to see if any of you batteries do (you'll see that they don't).

With out having the exact same capacity in each cell of each pack, you don't have a prayer of having your batteries packs discharging at the same rate. Keep an eye out for puffing, temps, and stray cells. If all good, go have fun.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-05-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrjr View Post
    Nah, they are wired in series so the total combined voltage goes to the esc. The voltage is then sent to the motor and through the bec in separate circuitry. I would think it's a difference in ir between the packs.
    You're right. My situation applied on escs like the old orange evx. I forget these are wired a little differently.

460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    Just a depressing update I looked at my batteries after getting home this week after working out of town this week and I received my lipo voltage testers and I found that one of my lipos had puffed more than likely th one that had funny readings. But when I hooked up the Lipo voltage detector all cells was as follows cell1 3.80 cell2 3.79 cell3 3.79. Is my lipo safe or should I buy new ones?

RC Qualifier
    how bad is it puffed? and whats the internal resistance?

RC Qualifier
    How do I go about finding that?

How do I go about finding that?
    General rule of thumb without getting technical is if swollen from normal usage and cell voltages are okay then your fine. A puffed battery refers to a significant amount of swelling to the point of ripping through a soft pack casing or cracking/separating a hard shell case. I would imagine a puffed battery would split the internal cell casing as well which is like a thick aluminum foil type material and itll have a very chemical smell to it. Ive had internal cell casings ripped from speed runner accident(batts got ejected)and theres a definite chemical smell that emanated from them. Taped up with electrical tape and took to battery shop for them to dispose of. My Hitec charger has a resistance meter option see if your charger does, if not, you could use a plain ole voltage meter. As to what numbers to look for you could test a good pack and see then test pack that your saying is puffed vs. slightly swollen to compare #'s.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 03-23-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...