Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Noob needs help with Slash 4x4 ultimate 3s LiPo issue

I am completely new to the RC hobby and I bought a Slash 4x4 ultimate TSM OBA. At the time of buying I didnít know any better a bought 2 3s LiPo batteries with a charger. Now Iím doing my research and Iím realizing that the Slash probably wonít hold up very well with the stock body/parts and the 3s LiPo. Iím willing to upgrade whatever I need to upgrade in order to make it safe to just have fun with the thing without worrying too much. Ill be doing most of my driving in the country... short grass, gravel, dirt. I want some speed because well donít we all but I definitely wonít be trying to do speed test or racing this thing. Some light bashing if you will. I just need some help with parts I should upgrade. Iíd maybe consider a new motor too Iíve been seeing something about a funny car motor with the VXL 3-s but again I donít know anything here. From my research this is what Iíve come up with please let me know if Iíll need some other upgrade or if thereís something on my list thatís not necessary.

King Headz motor mount
    Tekno driveshaft (dog bone)
    Traxxas Aluminum shock caps
    RRP slipper clutch with a 13pinion/54spur gear
    Integy heatsink dual motor fan
    Traxxas ESC fan
    RPM A arms (front & rear)
    Traxxas aluminum motor plate

Please fix my list or add to it as you see fit for my needs! Any help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time guys!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Since your Slash is an Ultimate, you do not need aluminum shock caps and the motor plate is already aluminum.

You don't need to change the A-arms. I have always ran stock and have not had any problems. If you already ordered thyem, just run stock till they break.

Since you're running 3S power, just keep an eye on your temps and adjust your gears accordingly... test test test.

Have fun and get to know your rig and how you drive it.

Eventually you may want to go to a 1/8 ESC and motor combo.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    I appreciate it. Hopefully I can learn a bit from you veteran RC Guys.

I haven’t ordered anything yet. So should I buy everything else on my list aside from the motor plate, shock caps, and A arms? Could you give me a suggestion on the 1/8 ESC and motor combo?

Also... if the motor is getting too hot (what’s too hot?) with a 13pinion and 54spur gear should I get a smaller pinion?
    Last edited by RedNation2123; 03-03-2018 at 08:54 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Since your Slash is an Ultimate, you do not need aluminum shock caps and the motor plate is already aluminum.

You don't need to change the A-arms. I have always ran stock and have not had any problems. If you already ordered thyem, just run stock till they break.

Since you're running 3S power, just keep an eye on your temps and adjust your gears accordingly... test test test.

Have fun and get to know your rig and how you drive it.

Eventually you may want to go to a 1/8 ESC and motor combo.

I appreciate it. Hopefully I can learn a bit from you veteran RC Guys.

I haven’t ordered anything yet. So should I buy everything else on my list aside from the motor plate, shock caps, and A arms? Could you give me a suggestion on the 1/8 ESC and motor combo?

Also... if the motor is getting too hot (what’s too hot?) with a 13pinion and 54spur gear should I get a smaller pinion?

RC Qualifier
    Temps above 160
    HW wb sc8 esc
    2150kv -
    3800kv
    5mm pinions .08mod
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Temps above 160
    HW wb sc8 esc
    2150kv -
    3800kv
    5mm pinions .08mod
    This may be like super overkill but you'd probably know better than me. If i wanted to swap a Mamba Monster X motor and ESC for the original ones would it just be a swap or is there anything else id need to get in order for the Slash to run? Id just be running it with a 13t pinion. I just wanna run on grass and gravel and stuff without worrying about overheating either motor or ESC. what do you think?

RC Qualifier
    May have a different size bullet conector on the motor ,could change
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    May have a different size bullet conector on the motor ,could change
    i honestly have no clue what that is. lol Would i be able to get an adapter to make it fit if it were a different size?

RC Qualifier
    Run it
    If something breaks upgrade or get a stock replacement
    Bullet connectors are between motor and esc
    13/54 should be no problems
    Enjoy
    fabricator

Quote Originally Posted by RedNation2123 View Post
    i honestly have no clue what that is. lol Would i be able to get an adapter to make it fit if it were a different size?
    Larger motors require higher amperage thus calling for larger motor to ESC connections.
    If you do your own soldering (something you almost have to learn in this hobby) there easy to change.
    Here's an example of the motors bullet connector setup.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Larger motors require higher amperage thus calling for larger motor to ESC connections.
    If you do your own soldering (something you almost have to learn in this hobby) there easy to change.
    Here's an example of the motors bullet connector setup.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for that info! I thought it was a plug and play thing. Iíve never soldered before. I guess Iíll have to learn now. He question I have now is if I buy the MMX with the corresponding ESC would I need to buy larger connections or are they included and then i just solder them on?

Thanks for that info! I thought it was a plug and play thing. Iíve never soldered before. I guess Iíll have to learn now. He question I have now is if I buy the MMX with the corresponding ESC would I need to buy larger connections or are they included and then i just solder them on?
    It's been a long time since I've bought any ESC/Motor combos but I believe with the exception of the ESC to battery everything else is ready to go.
    If you refer back to the picture you'll see the speed controller is lacking the male connector; the manufacture has no idea what connections your going to use so they leave the wires bare.
    All the Castle motors I've bought in the past have come with a set of female bullet ends for using with the ESC of your choice so yes all you should have to do is solder them on to the controller wires.
    I use them when running a castle motor with my Tekin RX8's as they just come with posts for all the wires.

if I buy the MMX with the corresponding ESC
    The MMX is the ESC, if purchased alone I don't know if they come with a set of male motor connectors; perhaps someone who has bought one can give you that information or it may be on the sellers page.

RC Enthusiast
    It's been a long time since I've bought any ESC/Motor combos but I believe with the exception of the ESC to battery everything else is ready to go.
    If you refer back to the picture you'll see the speed controller is lacking the male connector; the manufacture has no idea what connections your going to use so they leave the wires bare.
    All the Castle motors I've bought in the past have come with a set of female bullet ends for using with the ESC of your choice so yes all you should have to do is solder them on to the controller wires.
    I use them when running a castle motor with my Tekin RX8's as they just come with posts for all the wires.

The MMX is the ESC, if purchased alone I don't know if they come with a set of male motor connectors; perhaps someone who has bought one can give you that information or it may be on the sellers page.
    Ahhhhh makes sense. So I should be referring to the combo as the 2200/MMX combo?

So back to the soldering (sorry this is all new to me) you’d fill the female part with solder (which one?) and then put the male part into it and then let it cool?

Ahhhhh makes sense. So I should be referring to the combo as the 2200/MMX combo?

So back to the soldering (sorry this is all new to me) you’d fill the female part with solder (which one?) and then put the male part into it and then let it cool?
    My personal choice for a 4wd slash is the 2650 combo but its up to you and your personal preferences.

As for the soldering there are many good YouTube tutorials for soldering the connectors.
    I just tin the wire on the heavy side put it in the connector then heat it up (the connector) while flowing more solder in to complete the connection.
    Always add flux to the connector before soldering, for that matter flux what ever your soldering, it makes for a better faster bond

RC Enthusiast
    My personal choice for a 4wd slash is the 2650 combo but its up to you and your personal preferences.

As for the soldering there are many good YouTube tutorials for soldering the connectors.
    I just tin the wire on the heavy side put it in the connector then heat it up (the connector) while flowing more solder in to complete the connection.
    Always add flux to the connector before soldering, for that matter flux what ever your soldering, it makes for a better faster bond
    What’s better about the 2650kv over the 2200kv in the Slash 4x4 I’m your opinion? I just want something where I won’t have to monitor the heat so closely on the motor or esc while running on grass, gravel, and dirt while doing some light bashing.

RC Qualifier
    Lower kv more torque
    Higher kv more rpm
    fabricator

What’s better about the 2650kv over the 2200kv in the Slash 4x4 I’m your opinion? I just want something where I won’t have to monitor the heat so closely on the motor or esc while running on grass, gravel, and dirt while doing some light bashing.
    I have both setups, the 2200kv is matched up to an RX8, I run this in a street only speed rig.
    I think the 2200 needs a 4s to really come to life where the 2650kv is a beast on 3s and a complete monster on 4s.
    This is my opinion.
    My favorite combos are; in my 2wd's and a 4wd pede is the 2400kv MMP combo with external BECs; 2650kv MM2 in a MT 4wd slash and then the 2200kv in a 4wd speed run rig.

For me I like having a bunch of 3s lipos that will do a great job in all my rigs but they feel a little lagging with the 2200, I will run a 4s or 6s with it then it's and incredible setup.
    Again it's all a personal choice.
    Neither will need much temp monitoring in a slash unless geared to the moon.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-04-2018 at 09:30 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have both setups, the 2200kv is matched up to an RX8, I run this in a street only speed rig.
    I think the 2200 needs a 4s to really come to life where the 2650kv is a beast on 3s and a complete monster on 4s.
    This is my opinion.
    My favorite combos are; in my 2wd's and a 4wd pede is the 2400kv MMP combo with external BECs; 2650kv MM2 in a MT 4wd slash and then the 2200kv in a 4wd speed run rig.

For me I like having a bunch of 3s lipos that will do a great job in all my rigs but they feel a little lagging with the 2200, I will run a 4s or 6s with it then it's and incredible setup.
    Again it's all a personal choice.
    Neither will need much temp monitoring in a slash unless geared to the moon.

I definitely don’t see myself every getting to 6s. 3s and 4s would probably be enough for me for some bashing. I’m probably gonna go with the 2650kv/MMX combo. Hopefully I can figure out how to install it. Also what’s up with all that programming stuff and having to connect it to a computer? Would that set up work with the Traxxas TQ remote? Would I still be able to use the telemetry stuff? I’m sorry for all the questions. You’ve been a huge help. I really appreciate it.

RC Enthusiast
    Lower kv more torque
    Higher kv more rpm
    Do you have a specific preference when it comes to bashing? Or riding in grass, gravel and dirt? I live in Texas and summers here are crazy hot so I wanna be able to drive this thing even in the crazy hot weather without the motor heating up too much.

RC Qualifier
    I have a hobby wing wp,sc8. And a 2650 motor in my slash. I love it on 3s. It's perfect for me. No heat issues and it's ALMOST too fast.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    I have a hobby wing wp,sc8. And a 2650 motor in my slash. I love it on 3s. It's perfect for me. No heat issues and it's ALMOST too fast.

Looks good! That ESC is a lot cheaper! What’s the difference between the one you have and the MMX? I definitely wouldn’t mind saving money if I can. Also... where do you get the connector(or is it included) that goes on the red and black cable that will match your battery connector?

I definitely don’t see myself every getting to 6s. 3s and 4s would probably be enough for me for some bashing. I’m probably gonna go with the 2650kv/MMX combo. Hopefully I can figure out how to install it. Also what’s up with all that programming stuff and having to connect it to a computer? Would that set up work with the Traxxas TQ remote? Would I still be able to use the telemetry stuff? I’m sorry for all the questions. You’ve been a huge help. I really appreciate it.
    You can program them without a computer but get the castle field card (if you go with Castle) to set most parameters much easier.
    That said using a computer is really the way to go, much easier and a lot more detail and data logging is nice.
    I haven't used a Traxxax radio for a long long time but I would think as long as you still have a TQ receiver it would be fine.

I don't own a Hobby Wing ESC so I rally can't comment on them but it sounds like they're making some decent products now; I know they come with a programing type of unit as well.

RC Qualifier
    The hobby wing wp,sc8 is only rated for up to 4s. I think the MMX can handle 6s. The battery connectors are not included and a whole nother topic. If you scroll in the forum you should find the thread. Or our buddy Squeegie might help with finding it.

Last edited by davew; 03-04-2018 at 03:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    3s with 2900kv
    4s with 2150kv = more failed parts
    All fun to run
    Repair and get out there again
    Hw wb sc8 is discontinued
    Get it while you can
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    Im gonna go with the 2650KV/MMX setup. Should i be upgrading any other parts just to be on the safe side? Im gonna add the RRP slipper clutch and a king headz motor mount. Should I be adding anything suspension wise? Trying to order everything at once.
    Also.. is there a way to mount the MMX to the Slash 4x4 ultimate? Ive seen squeegie's mod but i dont know if i'll be able to do all that. Lol Theres gotta be an easier less creative way.

RC Qualifier
    Give stock a chance! You will appreciate your upgrades way more once you have fun with the stock stuff. I personally like hobbywing over castle because it's way more easier to program and tune your esc via the LCD program box and even better, the wifi express module and the free hobbywing app. If you're gonna go up to 4s castle, then go mmx 2650. You'll be way happier with a HOBBYWING max 8 ESC and ezrun 2600kv motor or a HOBBYWING Xerun Xr8 and xerun 2600 motor. It's cheaper and more convenient and puts out the same.or better performance.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    Give stock a chance! You will appreciate your upgrades way more once you have fun with the stock stuff. I personally like hobbywing over castle because it's way more easier to program and tune your esc via the LCD program box and even better, the wifi express module and the free hobbywing app. If you're gonna go up to 4s castle, then go mmx 2650. You'll be way happier with a HOBBYWING max 8 ESC and ezrun 2600kv motor or a HOBBYWING Xerun Xr8 and xerun 2600 motor. It's cheaper and more convenient and puts out the same.or better performance.
    What’s the biggest difference between those two setups you suggested from Hobbywing? I’m actually pretty interested. The ease of programming is what’s reeling me in.

Don't let "ease of programming" distort your decision brother! Both Castle and HW are easy to program. And both companies make nice stuff so just choose what best fits your particular application!

-Shack

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Don't let "ease of programming" distort your decision brother! Both Castle and HW are easy to program. And both companies make nice stuff so just choose what best fits your particular application!

-Shack
    I’m honestly so confused with all these different choices. I actually found a decent priced 2650KV/MMX combo. So I think I’m still gonna do that. I’m actually a bit torn between the 2200kv and the 2650kv. Seems I can do the same things with the 2200kv that’s I’d do with the 2650 but it has that headroom if you ever want to go faster.

Iím honestly so confused with all these different choices. I actually found a decent priced 2650KV/MMX combo. So I think Iím still gonna do that. Iím actually a bit torn between the 2200kv and the 2650kv. Seems I can do the same things with the 2200kv thatís Iíd do with the 2650 but it has that headroom if you ever want to go faster.
    The 2650 is plenty fast enough! I actually had to gear mine down from where I had it just to be able to bash with it! So much fun, and no worries about heat.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    The 2650 is plenty fast enough! I actually had to gear mine down from where I had it just to be able to bash with it! So much fun, and no worries about heat.
    Did you have the 2650/MMX? Iím trying to figure out how Iíll mount it. Also... with that setup did you have to upgrade a ton of parts? If so, which ones?
    Last edited by RedNation2123; 03-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Did you have the 2650/MMX? Iím trying to figure out how Iíll mount it. Also... with that setup did you have to upgrade a ton of parts? If so, which ones?
    I do run the MMX 2650 from castle, I had pretty much upgraded the truck prior to this system going in so I'm not sure what stock parts wouldn't be up to the task. The axles I'm sure wouldn't last, I never had a problem with the diffs to begin with but I put XO-1 diffs in her as a precautionary measure. The motor mounted right up to my lcg Slash chassis. Again more precautionary measurements with the strc alluminium motor mount and bearing adapter. I have a thread some where that kinda shows the progress of this truck through it's different stages and upgrades. Right now it's a backslash, with rear shocks on front. The ESC and Rx went through a couple mounting locations. Originally I moved the Rx box up front, made a plate to screw into the chassis and Velcro to hold the ESC onto the plate. I didn't like how high it made the body sit so I ditched the Rx box, made a bigger plate and mounted the waterproof receiver nest to the ESC. Some older pictures prior to removing the Rx box, this will most likely be the easiest way for you to mount it up. Rpm makes a plate that you can use instead of making one, STRC makes an alluminium one as well that would do nicely.

RC Enthusiast
    I do run the MMX 2650 from castle, I had pretty much upgraded the truck prior to this system going in so I'm not sure what stock parts wouldn't be up to the task. The axles I'm sure wouldn't last, I never had a problem with the diffs to begin with but I put XO-1 diffs in her as a precautionary measure. The motor mounted right up to my lcg Slash chassis. Again more precautionary measurements with the strc alluminium motor mount and bearing adapter. I have a thread some where that kinda shows the progress of this truck through it's different stages and upgrades. Right now it's a backslash, with rear shocks on front. The ESC and Rx went through a couple mounting locations. Originally I moved the Rx box up front, made a plate to screw into the chassis and Velcro to hold the ESC onto the plate. I didn't like how high it made the body sit so I ditched the Rx box, made a bigger plate and mounted the waterproof receiver nest to the ESC. Some older pictures prior to removing the Rx box, this will most likely be the easiest way for you to mount it up. Rpm makes a plate that you can use instead of making one, STRC makes an alluminium one as well that would do nicely.
    Awesome! This helps a lot! I appreciate it. I'll try and see if I can find those mounting plates. Seems like i'll really need that. I have a few upgrades I've ordered but ill definitely need to look into the XO-1 diffs.

Is this the XO-1 diff that id need for my Slash 4x4: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS....c100011.m1850
    Last edited by RedNation2123; 03-06-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Really all you need is the internal guts from the XO-1. The I-beam and the side supports. Everything else is basically the same. With the added weight of the ⅛ power system you will need a heavier spring and oil for your shocks. Since you have the ultimate, it already comes with GTR shocks which are great shocks. Traxxas makes springs for them, also losi springs are great for them. I'll have to double check which ones fit unless someone can come up with it prior to me getting home (cough, squeegie, cough).

Did you have the 2650/MMX? I’m trying to figure out how I’ll mount it. Also... with that setup did you have to upgrade a ton of parts? If so, which ones?
    When/if you install the 2650kv or 2200kv its a good idea to take a dremel to two posts on the chassis at the rear of the motor.
    You can mount the motors without trimming these but the motor will hit them, IMO for the half a minute it takes to knock them down its time well spent.
    The 2650kv isn't as bad, it just contacts the first one but the 2200kv can is longer and might make for a less then perfect mounting.[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    This is a 2650kv, you can see where the 2200kv can contact them as well as the fins hitting the first one.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-06-2018 at 12:53 PM.

In my Slash 4x4 I also run the 2650kv and I run wires under the can. I can slide them out around the end bell and back into place without removal of that bit. So I left it incase I want to use it later. But I could see it interfering with possible heatsinks.

Really all you need is the internal guts from the XO-1. The I-beam and the side supports. Everything else is basically the same.
    You will need the I-beam w/gears and the diff cup,the stock cup has no provisions for the side plates

XO-1 diff cup 3978
    XO-1 gear set 6882x
    XO-1 screws 3236

VG Racing springs are a decent option for the GTR in a heavy truck
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier

Red face

Xerun is sensored and ezrun is sensorless. The ezrun max8 works on 3-6s and the Xerun Xr8 Plus works on 2-6s. Don't be that worried. You'll be ecstatic with whatever you choose. I've done years of research on the best motor/esc combos that are the best for me, and I've been happy with most of it. Aside from the motor/esc combos, the WORST RC PURCHASE I EVER MADE was buying the Redcat trmt10e instead of a slash ultimate.

Read around the thousands of threads and you will (most likely) find the information you need. I have asked these same questions on different threads and gotten plenty of different answers throughout my RC experience.

Remember this: Being happy with your RC and having fun with it is more important than having the "best" upgrades and the fastest or most powerful RC. Just enjoy.

P.S. Fnfancy- I'm still I love with that Maroon chassis...
    Last edited by EvHexRC; 03-06-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

Evhex,Thank you much, I'll have to give credit to my son though. It was his decision for what color his new chassis was going to be. When do we get to see your pretty new chassis? Dcuda69 is on point with the required parts, thank you for being diligent with your information and part numbers. lastly, evhex said some very wise words. This hobby is all about how much fun we can have with our toys, it doesn't take the biggest best stuff money can buy, as long as there is a smile on your face while driving

I’m honestly so confused with all these different choices. I actually found a decent priced 2650KV/MMX combo. So I think I’m still gonna do that. I’m actually a bit torn between the 2200kv and the 2650kv. Seems I can do the same things with the 2200kv that’s I’d do with the 2650 but it has that headroom if you ever want to go faster.
    You are starting to think wisely grasshopper! No, in all seriousness, your logic is spot on here though. I've bought four (2ea) of the 2650 & 2200/MMX combos and the 2200 will dominate the 2650 once you get in to higher voltages. For bashing, either motor is great. For bashing and high-speed action, the 2200 all... day... long!

-Shack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast