Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Fnfancy- I appreciate that you think I am wise, but I have a long way to go. if you're inquiring about my chassis, I just don't know how to upload pictures. I'd have to upload them from my iMac because I certainly do not have the storage for that "taptalk" thing on my 12gb iPhone 4.

Shack- I wholeheartedly agree with you that for bashing, a person will be happier with the 2200 over the 2650 (less overall heat output, more overall power output, higher ease voltage intake, more potential.) and with either one, would be happier over the vxl3s.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

The price of 5s and 6s batteries for me makes the extra power from the 2200kv unreasonable. Since 4s with the 2650kv is already more power than needed for bashing at a far more reasonable price on batteries. It is all subjective and a matter of opinion but for me the 2200kv is for those with deep pockets and like to be repairing/tinkering more often than driving.

This only applies to 1/10th scale vehicles. Once in the 1/8th scale 2200kv is the only choice.

RC Qualifier
    Just run two 2s lipos in series for 4s, and just run two 3s lipos in series for 6s.

That increase costs even more since 2x 2s cost more than 1x 4s and even worse for 3s doubled. And with doubled batteries you carry more weight for less speed and shorter run times.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    The price of 5s and 6s batteries for me makes the extra power from the 2200kv unreasonable. Since 4s with the 2650kv is already more power than needed for bashing at a far more reasonable price on batteries. It is all subjective and a matter of opinion but for me the 2200kv is for those with deep pockets and like to be repairing/tinkering more often than driving.

This only applies to 1/10th scale vehicles. Once in the 1/8th scale 2200kv is the only choice.
    This was exactly my train of thought... I ordered the 2650kv yesterday. Just canít see myself going past 4s. Just wanna have fun with no worry of heat. Iím not trying to go 100mph lol. Iím excited!

Do I need to upgrade my servos? Iíll be running the 2650kv/MMX? And if I do so you have any suggestions of which ones? I donít even know what a servos does honestly lol

RC Qualifier
    Props to finally making a decision! It took me months to just figure out what type of locknut to get for one of my builds. It's taken.me.years for motor/esc combos... Be exited and have fun! Just.to be safe, buy a dual fan motor heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNation2123 View Post
    This was exactly my train of thought... I ordered the 2650kv yesterday. Just can’t see myself going past 4s. Just wanna have fun with no worry of heat. I’m not trying to go 100mph lol. I’m excited!

Do I need to upgrade my servos? I’ll be running the 2650kv/MMX? And if I do so you have any suggestions of which ones? I don’t even know what a servos does honestly lol
    On the Slash 4x4 you have one servo and it does the steering. When you increase weight or wheel size a new servo should be considered. The stock Traxxas servos are pretty good and waterproof.

I recently upgraded to this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are better and lesser servos out there. I don't have alot of experience with non-savox servos so others will have to advise on those.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    Props to finally making a decision! It took me months to just figure out what type of locknut to get for one of my builds. It's taken.me.years for motor/esc combos... Be exited and have fun! Just.to be safe, buy a dual fan motor heatsink.
    Do they make the dual fan motor heatsinks for the 2650kv? I’ve only been able to find the single fan configuration

RC Qualifier
    A standard 550 size motor heatsink fits. There are tons of them on Amazon

RC Enthusiast
    On the Slash 4x4 you have one servo and it does the steering. When you increase weight or wheel size a new servo should be considered. The stock Traxxas servos are pretty good and waterproof.

I recently upgraded to this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are better and lesser servos out there. I don't have alot of experience with non-savox servos so others will have to advise on those.
    Would the servos you linked work for my setup?

550 fans are for 36mm cans which you can fit it but it is tight. They do make heatsinks /w fans for 40mm cans and the 2650kv is 41mm.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Elect...70_&dpSrc=srch

Would the servos you linked work for my setup?
    Yes it would but you should run a glitch buster because savox high torque servos can cause brown-out. There are cheaper servos out there if you don't need the high torque this one has. I chose it for the 3.8 wheels I like to run now and then.

https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-G...RC4Z6T32C87NN7
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    A standard 550 size motor heatsink fits. There are tons of them on Amazon
    Oh ok! awesome! I thought the fan had to be the same brand as the motor. My noobness is getting the better of me. Ill definitely look for a 550 motor heatsink

RC Enthusiast
    550 fans are for 36mm cans which you can fit it but it is tight. They do make heatsinks /w fans for 40mm cans and the 2650kv is 41mm.

Yes it would but you should run a glitch buster because savox high torque servos can cause brown-out. There are cheaper servos out there if you don't need the high torque this one has. I chose it for the 3.8 wheels I like to run now and then.

https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-G...RC4Z6T32C87NN7
    I plan on running some 2.8 tires... maybe bigger so i'll probably go with the one you linked. Thank you guys! yall have been a huge help

I plan on running some 2.8 tires... maybe bigger so i'll probably go with the one you linked. Thank you guys! yall have been a huge help
    Then it should be perfect for you. It is a drop in fit with stock servo horn and everything. Just remember to set the end-points first. I snapped my stock servo horn against the underbody of the LCG chassis the first time I installed it. Didn't hurt the servo but snapped that horn like a twig. I am still looking for an aluminum horn that doesn't need modifying to fit. Might have to settle on the Losi 25T servo horn.

I've never tried this one, but Hot Racing has a 25T M3 servo horn made for Traxxas servos, but does not state the length:
    http://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SHM25M01;c=480

I use the Losi horn with no problems, but i did tap the M3 threads for it.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I've never tried this one, but Hot Racing has a 25T M3 servo horn made for Traxxas servos, but does not state the length:

Yeah I have looked at that one and without the length I fear it needs grinding. It wouldn't fit much if that outer hole fit the LCG Slash 4x4. I bet it is for the HCG.

RC Enthusiast

How do you tap M3 threads for it? what does that mean?

Do they make the dual fan motor heatsinks for the 2650kv? I’ve only been able to find the single fan configuration
    Chances are pretty slim you'll need any kind of heat sink for bashing around with a 2650kv, I've run 3s thru mine as hard as one could push it without heat issues. I have seen it get a little warmer on 4s but never over 180į, I believe 165į is the highest temp I've ever recorded and have never used a heat-sink/fan.
    If you ever get into hard core speed runs it would be something to think about but just give it a go first; might save a few bucks on something you shouldn't need in the first place.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    So i bought the VG racing springs but I know i need to change the shock oil to a heavier weight since my slash will be weighing more with all the upgrades coming. What weight shock oil should i be going with for grass, gravel and dirt driving?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Chances are pretty slim you'll need any kind of heat sink for bashing around with a 2650kv, I've run 3s thru mine as hard as one could push it without heat issues. I have seen it get a little warmer on 4s but never over 180į, I believe 165į is the highest temp I've ever recorded and have never used a heat-sink/fan.
    If you ever get into hard core speed runs it would be something to think about but just give it a go first; might save a few bucks on something you shouldn't need in the first place.
    I like my rigs COLD, so I always strive for at least a dual fan heatsink. Sometimes I can fit even 4 fans on there.

Cold does not necessarily mean most efficient. Most motors will like some heat to be at max efficiency. Pretty sure we had a discussion on here a while back about this topic...maybe try a search?
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Cold does not necessarily mean most efficient. Most motors will like some heat to be at max efficiency. Pretty sure we had a discussion on here a while back about this topic...maybe try a search?

We did but it was some time back (possibly two years) and I didn't have time to respond.
    I was going to mention Tekin suggests a 160į for optimum operation in racing environments but Squeegie is the man who can and found another article on the subject.

RC Enthusiast
    Will I have to uninstall the on board audio in order to install the 2650kv/MMX? Iím seeing a lot of the mods have the receiver box where the on board audio box currently is which is at the front of the chassis. Any ideas? Iíd like to keep the OBA if I possible.
    Last edited by RedNation2123; 03-09-2018 at 01:12 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If im bashing on a 6s lipo and high gearing, im going to need a legit cooling system. it will still be cooking.

Will I have to uninstall the on board audio in order to install the 2650kv/MMX? I’m seeing a lot of the mods have the receiver box where the on board audio box currently is which is at the front of the chassis. Any ideas? I’d like to keep the OBA if I possible.
    You may have to find another place to mount one of the boxes (receiver or OBA) but I don't see any reason you'd have to abandon it.
    Sometimes you have to get a bit more creative with modifications.
    I don't run any motors sound devices but have had to more then once use my imagination for mounting things.
    I drilled and trimmed an STRC plate to mount the ESC on my FLM build.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

You may have to find another place to mount one of the boxes (receiver or OBA) but I don't see any reason you'd have to abandon it.
    I don't run any motors sound devices but have had to more then once use my imagination for mounting things.

Wow Mr. Bones... you've got a lot of cool stuff! I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your pics!

-Shack

RC Enthusiast
    So I should consider going vertical with my mod rather than trying to find more real estate on the chassis for it huh?

All depends on where it will fit without hitting the body and where the wires can reach without getting stretched...

I am testing this out to see if it works for a mounting surface.

It is 2 sheets of lexan roughly 3"x 5" glued together then glued to the inside of the battery tray. Fits below my under tray and seems stiff enough for testing. Going to try a gyro and the radio box on it first. It might take me sometime to report back with progress reports because of the weather here.

RC Enthusiast
    I am testing this out to see if it works for a mounting surface.

It is 2 sheets of lexan roughly 3"x 5" glued together then glued to the inside of the battery tray. Fits below my under tray and seems stiff enough for testing. Going to try a gyro and the radio box on it first. It might take me sometime to report back with progress reports because of the weather here.
    Definitely keep us updated on this one. Hope it work for you. I might try the same thing if it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Wow Mr. Bones... you've got a lot of cool stuff! I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your pics!

-Shack
    Thank you shack351, and may I say you too have quite the awesome line up of mad dog rigs; your 5th scale setup is definitely the first I've ever seen.
    I have to load many more pics to Flicker since they were all on Photobucket when they decided to charge an arm and leg for third party transfers; right now I just look for a pic that might help the OP and upload it.
    I enjoy going back and looking at some of my first rigs; then sit back and reflect on how crazy things got real fast lol.
    It's nice to get back to the forums here and there to see how much has changed in the past year or so, techknowledgey is just out of hand, order it, install it, then see what new replacement came out in the mean time:.

((.
    All depends on where it will fit without hitting the body and where the wires can reach without getting stretched..
    That's about it.
    I now make all my own wire connectors to length; once you get into the scale crawling side of the hobby you'd go crazy and broke trying to find all the proper length preprepared wires.
    First I bought the set below then ordered a 100 piece of both male and female connectors another 100' of wire and never looked back.

Nice little kit you've got there.

One of these days I'll have to break down and get some connectors/pins.

I love clean wire routing and if I take the Rx box out of my dry-weather street-only rig, I can't stuff it with excess length any more!

Nothing immediate, but something I know I have to do one of these days...

RC Enthusiast
    I've received most of my parts now but I'm needing to get some differential oil and shock oil. I'm running a slipper clutch cuz i'm just bashing around on grass, gravel and dirt. Any suggestions for front and rear differential oil and shock oil? I've seen some forums on here saying that the rear diff oil should be thicker than the front and some just put the same in the front and back. I'm pretty confused. help!

When it comes to front and rear diffs and shock oils, it is completely up to you and your driving preference.

Test test test...

RC Enthusiast
    When it comes to front and rear diffs and shock oils, it is completely up to you and your driving preference.

Test test test...
    I figured that would be the answer i'd get lol. So I have yet to install the 2650kv and MMX cuz I didnt get the 5mm pinion. I have it coming in this week. But i was wondering if the traxxas telemetry would still work with that new setup that will be going in or do i need to scrap the telemetry and the on board audio stuff?

RC Qualifier
    I figured that would be the answer i'd get lol. So I have yet to install the 2650kv and MMX cuz I didnt get the 5mm pinion. I have it coming in this week. But i was wondering if the traxxas telemetry would still work with that new setup that will be going in or do i need to scrap the telemetry and the on board audio stuff?
    The OBA will be just fine and functional. As for the telemetry, I am not certain if ALL of it will be functional/accurate.

RC Enthusiast
    The OBA will be just fine and functional. As for the telemetry, I am not certain if ALL of it will be functional/accurate.
    In all honesty telemetry isn't really necessary right? I'm not really into gauging all that stuff i just wanna bash! lol

RC Qualifier
    You are correct sir! Telemetry is not necessary. There’s undoubtedly more people who don’t have telemetry over those who do. Like me for example. You will do just fine w/o telemetry. Just have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12