RC Enthusiast

Field Repair Kit advice

Iím about a month into owning my TRX4 (Defender) and finally the weather and my schedule are starting to let me go further with it.

As I begin to do more trails and adventures away from my neighbourhood, Iím wondering if someone here might be able to advise about what tools to have packed for many/most field repairs and maintenance? (Iíve been carrying the tools Traxxas included in the box, but they seem a bit simplistic. Also, I would imagine that there are a few more tools and supplies that I likely should have with me.)

Thanks!
    New TRX-4 owner as of Jan 2018!

RC Racer
    IMO everyone that works on their rigs should have the MIP driver set.
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-tho...SABEgJ8ePD_BwE

Those, some needle nose pliers, tire wrench, and some zip ties should do you well out in the field.

Other than that, it’s all about spare parts and hardware.

MIP has a TRX-4 specific set. This is a great start and you'll have the best quality tools available.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/mip9520.htm

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the guidance! Those MIP tools for the TRX4 do look great and I will add some small needle nose pliers, zip ties, etc.

I’ll keep checking back here too in case anyone else has some advice based on their experiences.
    New TRX-4 owner as of Jan 2018!

RC Champion
    I use these https://www.horizonhobby.com/startup...raxxas-dyn2833 they have a multitude of sizes, both hex wrenches, sockets and screw drivers. its easy to throw in your pocket or bag and don't cost a lot. That being said I have a full set of high quality MIP hex wrenches and sockets for my shop.

The dynamite are not the highest quality but they are really handy in the field. I also carry small needle nose pliers, spare batteries, a small battery voltage tester, small can of WD40, the wheel lug wrench from traxxas, and some misc parts for which ever vehicle I have out. (axles, body pins, a arms, etc). Bottom line is common sense, if im out for a single run I cant carry everything I need just carry what I need to keep running or to get back home. If I go out for a weekend then I load up my designated tool box with more tools, spare parts and I throw in the owners manuel.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Racer
    It could have been just me, but I stripped hexes with the dynamite kit. I’ll only use the nut drivers from it now. MIP I’ve had no issues with.

Good call on the manual for the road, that and/or some exploded PDFs saved to the phone will be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I use these https://www.horizonhobby.com/startup...raxxas-dyn2833 they have a multitude of sizes, both hex wrenches, sockets and screw drivers. its easy to throw in your pocket or bag and don't cost a lot. That being said I have a full set of high quality MIP hex wrenches and sockets for my shop.

The dynamite are not the highest quality but they are really handy in the field. I also carry small needle nose pliers, spare batteries, a small battery voltage tester, small can of WD40, the wheel lug wrench from traxxas, and some misc parts for which ever vehicle I have out. (axles, body pins, a arms, etc). Bottom line is common sense, if im out for a single run I cant carry everything I need just carry what I need to keep running or to get back home. If I go out for a weekend then I load up my designated tool box with more tools, spare parts and I throw in the owners manuel.
    That kit does not have hardened tips. It will not withstand heavy use. I'd advise against buying that set.

Duratrax does offer hardened tip drivers with aluminum handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwny Danza View Post
    It could have been just me, but I stripped hexes with the dynamite kit. I’ll only use the nut drivers from it now. MIP I’ve had no issues with.

Good call on the manual for the road, that and/or some exploded PDFs saved to the phone will be handy.
    Same here. The Duratrax bits strip. I still use their nut drivers though.

Always keep extra body clips in your bag as well.