Thread: The charger

RC Qualifier

The charger

What is everybody using to charge their high capacity 4S Lippís?
    Iím looking to get a new dual channel charger to be able to charge some high-capacity batteries at 2c
    Like 4 or 500 watts total
    I would really like an ac/dc as I do not want to heft around a separate power supply.
    The sky rc d400 looks nice. $200 is a good price point
    Itís only 20 amps though.

https://www.skyrc.com/Charger/D400_C...2FD400_Charger

My concern is that I have a hectic schedule and not a lot of time to plan to charge for an hour and then go out and drive because I have two young kids and an hour and a half commute one way to my job in the city.

Any advice welcome

RC Champion
    I use a 20amp single channel charger and charge my packs in parallel. Assuming a 5000mah capacity pack, you can charge 4 of them at 1c. Bigger packs will take a little longer.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    I use a 20amp single channel charger and charge my packs in parallel. Assuming a 5000mah capacity pack, you can charge 4 of them at 1c. Bigger packs will take a little longer.
    I'm looking to charge at 2c, speed is the goal here.
    the d400 will allow me to 2 packs in 2c or even 3c. 18 amps for 4S 7000.
    I think I have already found my answer I'm just being cheap at the moment I think.

thanks for you advice, I think ill get a paraboard or 2. which one do you use/recommend?

RC Champion
    I am using a parallel harness from progressive rc. I have a 6 lead EC5 power cable and an assortment of 6 lead balance harnesses for the 2/3/4/6s packs I use. Seems to work pretty well and the wires are more flexible so that nothing gets strained.
    I have an RC problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    What is everybody using to charge their high capacity 4S Lipp’s?
    I’m looking to get a new dual channel charger to be able to charge some high-capacity batteries at 2c
    Like 4 or 500 watts total
    I would really like an ac/dc as I do not want to heft around a separate power supply.
    The sky rc d400 looks nice. $200 is a good price point
    It’s only 20 amps though.

https://www.skyrc.com/Charger/D400_C...2FD400_Charger

My concern is that I have a hectic schedule and not a lot of time to plan to charge for an hour and then go out and drive because I have two young kids and an hour and a half commute one way to my job in the city.

Any advice welcome
    Looks like a capable unit. It's a lot of $ to put in one "basket," somewhere around $200, correct? Plus any paraboards?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Its like having 2 of my hyperion chargers which cost about 150 each new, and has more power. Seems to be a pretty good value as long its as good as they spec it.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    How about the iSDT chargers?
    They have some very nice DC chargers (T6, Q6), as well as a AC charger. (D2 - 200W)

Maybe it is worth considering to buy a small/compact 600w power supply and use 2 of the small DC chargers from ISDT? You could/will overall be cheaper than just buying the SKYRC.
    Their DC chargers (Q6) is one of the smallest chargers I've ever seen, and they are quite capable!!

Grtz
    P4de, G.D., K.Block, K. Busch, Summit, ERBE, TRX-4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I hate to add DC charger advice but I just got the Hitec X2 Ultima charger and a 600 watt dc power supply. Super awesome and super fast. Iím charging my SMCís at 7 amps plus. No problems. If youíre out and about. Hook it up to your car.

RC Competitor
    I own both an I charger 406 duo and an isdt Q6 that I use for my drone batteries. If you plan on being in the hobby awhile and know you will use large mah batteries in the 4-6s range then the 406 might be your best bet. Itís not a cheap charger but it has a ton of power.

Check out progressive rc Iíve dealt with them for years and they are awesome. The stock Traxxas packs can be charged at 3c which is equal to 20.1 amps. The 406 can easily handle 20 amps on each side and you can have those packs charge in about 15-20 minutes depending on how low your run your packs down.

The isdt charger is awesome as well. I have the recon strike

https://www.progressiverc.com/the-re...50w-combo.html

but when it comes time to do my big packs I use my icharger. I love the form factor and the convenience of the progressive rc charging cases.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for all the great advice,

you can charge the traxxas packs at 3c? i did not know that..
    did you find that on their website? I'm going to look for that now

RC Racer

You might be able to charge the Traxxas packs at 3C, but you will probably (severely) shorten their lifespan. There are some name brands who can take up to 5C charging with ease.
    P4de, G.D., K.Block, K. Busch, Summit, ERBE, TRX-4

I don't recommend charging any battery above 2c for safety reasons. 2c is not too bad a strain on them but 3c or higher is not recommended.
    Living life.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    I don't recommend charging any battery above 2c for safety reasons. 2c is not too bad a strain on them but 3c or higher is not recommended.

Even if the manufacturer says 5C?

RC Competitor
    If the manufacture says 5c then itís 100% safe to charge at 5c. This is of course assuming you have the proper gear and are balance charging. People will always have their own opinions on charge rates, the reality is the faster rate you charge does put more work on the battery but not to the point where itís destroys it at a much faster rate. Iíve been using lipos since 2004 when discharge rates where 8 and 10c and Iíve had a ton of experience with lipos. Even though Iíve had many packs that can handle 5c some even 6c Iíve almost always maxed it out at 3c because I have a dual charger and also do a lot of parallel charging which allows me to charge multiple packs at the same time at a lower rate but when theyíre done I have anywhere between 3-5 packs ready to go.

Donít run your packs past 80% of the total capacity, donít store them in sunlight or a hot car even if itís in the trunk, keep them in storage mode when not being used and let them cool before recharging and generally you will get great performance and a long life out of them. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

If I remember well on a traxxxas 25c 5000mah I saw max charge was 2c. Just take a look there and there on pictures, it's written on the battery label.